The Official Twin Peaks Thread (TOTPT)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 15, 2003, 03:29:03 PM

Drenk

Also: Jerry took, like, five episodes to get out of the woods. But the strangest thing is what happens with Bobby/Shelly/Becky. What happened in today's episode is before the incident with the bullet. When Becky called, I thought that she didn't know yet that her husband is cheating her. Then Bobby re-placed the timeline, so...

And what about Sarah Palmer watching the same seconds of boxing match in a loop?

Ascension.

Sleepless

Good point. Gotta be connected, right? That Bobby line pointing out "today" did seemed somewhat unnatural, like it was needlessly drawing attention to itself. The scene with Audrey fits with this too - she doesn't want to go to the roadhouse now, whereas last time we saw her she did, then she says she both does and doesn't want to. Plus James' song is a clear conversion/confusion of the past and present.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

Also relevant, from LAST week's episode write up on Mubi Notebook:

"And so Doctor Jacoby (Russ Tamblyn) repeats himself. Nadine Hurley (Wendy Robie), too. The good, gold-shovel selling doc (nicknamed "Dr. Amp") goes through the same script (and the same take?—meta!), albeit abbreviated, of his incendiary online show from Part 5. Nadine's reactions are eerily similar to that episode as well. But...some variations: "It's working for me, Dr. Amp," she says in-between her familiarly smitten exhales. And Jacoby closes with a fresh rant about politicians betraying their constituents. "The ninth level of hell will welcome you!" he shouts."
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

Drenk

Okaaaaaaaaaaay.

Yep. I don't have much words for Part 14. That was intense.
Ascension.

Sleepless

A lot of stuff and maybe I was right. Narrative things are happening, and stories and worlds are converging. When they went into the woods, I really thought they were going to run into Jerry, still lost. Naido in the real world will be interesting, and the sense of empowerment Andy's experience has given him will be interesting too. Though no-one seemed to notice he was momentarily missing? I guess because they were all hypnotized by the vortex?

The big question: So, like, Diane has never seen so much as a picture of Dougie?

Incidentally, I'm currently in Vegas for work and yesterday saw Lady Slot-Addict's doppelganger. Sad.

Drenk

Diane is with Mr C., the plan is to take them to Vegas. She made up the story about her half-sister.
Ascension.

Sleepless

Drenk

So this is how you find Lynch's interest.

Of course, he's the one who plays Jame's friend. The one with the green glove. The glove the Fireman told him to get. Because his destiny is at Twin Peaks. So he went to Twin Peaks. With the green glove.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

I loved this episode. The Sarah Palmer scene was a highlight, obviously, but I might have liked Freddie's story even more. "I fear I've snapped his Gregory." He clearly broke the guy's neck with his super-powered glove. What I love about Season 3 is you could not have predicted any of this stuff.

Freddie's story also has this fun bit (from EW):

Quote"So I woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head, ran downstairs and had a cup..." Freddie says. He and James laugh – it's the beginning of the middle section of "A Day in the Life" by the Beatles. I believe it's the section most often attributed to Paul McCartney — a peppy description of a regular person's day in the life, coming out of the mist of lysergic Lennon singing "I'd love to turn you on."

The end of this section of the song, of course, is: "Somebody spoke, and I went into a dream."

Sarah Palmer "biting back" distinctly reminded me of (Game of Thrones spoiler!) the dog lunging at Ramsay's face and chomping right into his jaw. Only difference is Sarah went a little lower. It was the same kind of sped-up lunge from a side view. Good stuff.

To Sleepless's question... Yes, I think people are a bit hypnotized and sedated by the vortex. And then there is some loss of memory. The same thing happened in South Dakota. In that episode, Gordon comments directly on the memory loss... although interestingly, you can will yourself to recover and hang onto the memory, as he did.

My favorite theory coming out of this episode is that the season will end with an epic fistfight between Dark Cooper and Freddie Sykes.

Drenk

Oh, I didn't notice the Beatles quote and I love this song, I was too concentrated on not trying to miss words since I am not used to that accent. I loved that scene. I was surprised to see that Lynch found him on YouTube. He nailed that scene. And I really like James this season. Remember that Shelly says that he is silent since the "accident"...

Ascension.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 16, 2017, 06:10:37 PM
My favorite theory coming out of this episode is that the season will end with an epic fistfight between Dark Cooper and Freddie Sykes.

I just caught up. This is such a funny image.

Drenk

There's that note that David Foster Wallace took for The Pale King, his unfinished novel, that made me think of this season of Twin Peaks.

"Plot a series of set-ups for stuff happening, but nothing actually happens."
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

I wouldn't say that until it's over. And I actually don't that's been true so far.

I was recently catching up with a podcast, and it was funny to hear them say "I doubt we'll ever see this character again"... then 4 episodes later, that character suddenly shows up in a pivotal scene. That has been happening constantly. It's actually becoming an intricate web of callbacks and the smallest things being continued.

Speaking of which. Entertainment Weekly's A Twin Peaks Podcast is nothing short of amazing. Two very well-informed Lynch theorists take Twin Peaks very seriously but are also delighted by everything. This is one of the best TV podcasts I've heard.

Drenk

Yes, I think it will have an ending or some kind of convergence. But I think the show takes pleasure in creating little pieces of scenes that seem to build to something before adding something unrelated. The scene at the RR with the woman/zombie in the car happened four episodes ago. Then some kind of time loop took place. And we're not even really thinking or expecting the show to follow up something that crazy. This is a very special construction. In a way, the show seems unconcerned by the build up.
Ascension.