movies assholes dig

Started by pete, October 24, 2004, 11:23:11 AM

Stefen

haha.

how about this movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390336/ I bet film majoring assholes love this flick.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

a LOT OF THEM came out this year.  I can only think of 300 and Smokin' Aces.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

last days of gerry the elephant

cine

how this thread was dead for 2 and a half years is beyond me.

superbad

&

the simpsons movie

hedwig

pete

really?  I felt like only little kids dug transformers.  no actual asshole (ie. a fullgrown one who is for sure an asshole and not just a phase of his life) will admit to liking transformers.  I may be terribly wrong though.
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

lol.

EW named Gladiator the 3rd BEST MOVIE OF THE DECADE.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

dude that list is so much worse than anything tarantino or pete travers or anyone else that we've thus far complained about has published.  that list is shit.
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Yeah, but nobody respects EW. They're like a what NOT to do.

"Punch the girl you have a crush on in the face" is # 4 on their top 10 of all time.

pete

Inception.

Assholes also like to hate avatar for street cred.
- Buster Keaton

Ostrich Riding Cowboy

To paraphrase Noel Fielding on Coldplay: I 'm not
Quote from: pete on September 11, 2010, 10:11:01 PM
hating avatar for street cred.
I genuinely hate Avatar.
DIDI: I missed you . . . and at the same time I was happy. Isn't that a strange thing?

Myxo

Pretty sure this qualifies.

pete

thanks for referencing this thread, Pubes

HANGOVER

IRON MAN -Downy has become the new Gibson.
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Comic book movies in general have been taken over by assholes. We like to pretend that they're fanboy movies, but they're really asshole movies, mostly. Bros love the montages where the superhero starts getting dressed up in his suit while Aerosmiths, "Back in the Saddle Again" plays. It gets them all pumped up, high-fiving, yelling fuck yeah and shit. It's such an odd pairing too. You would think meatheads would want nothing to do with a guy wearing a suit, but Hollywood has done a good job in appealing to them. Every comic book movie has sultry women, quippy one-liners and pedal to the metal action. They can forget they're watching a movie about a giant bookworm nerd who dresses up in a costume where his balls are all bunched up and showing on a big ass movie screen all up in your face. The nerdy superhero always gets the girl in the movie too. I don't remember it working out like that in the comic books. I remember him always wanting the girl, but because of his nerdy alter ego, he could never get her. Gotta have the hero get some tail!

pete

I think fanboys are the biggest assholes out there. Scott Pilgrim is Sofia Coppola-smug in its own way.
but Kick Ass - that's like a failed Zack Snyder movie right there - I think any studio genre movie that tries to hard to pretend it's above the genre, or that it's doing the genre a favor, will always end up asshole movies. Zombieland is another one, and Fantastic Mr. Fox definitely is one.
- Buster Keaton