Mid90s

Started by wilder, July 24, 2018, 12:00:16 PM

wilder

The story of a boy growing up in Los Angeles in the 1990s.

Written and Directed by Jonah Hill
Produced by Scott Rudin
Starring Sunny Suljic, Lucas Hedges, Katherine Waterston and Jerrod Carmichael
Shot by Christopher Blauvelt (Night Moves, Meek's Cutoff)
Release Date - October 19, 2018

ono

Saw this today because it looks more interesting than anything else currently playing, and there were rumblings of PTA critiquing it or whatever.  Spoilers.

It's funny enuf because it's Hill. He has a unique voice that translates to other actors.  The movie is slight but pleasant enuf, even tho the protagonist is a little shit and his mom and brother are both one dimensional neglectors and abusers respectively.   Then an incident happens and we find out the film we're watching is a film one of the characters just made.  And then it just ends.

Normally I'm all for short and sweet but come on.  This needed another rewrite, some more fleshing out, and just 10 more minutes.  The third act just coasts.  Still, a pleasant overall experience that did take me back to being a teen in the 90s.

WorldForgot

--- Spoilers --

I dont think that Fourth Grade's film is what we've been watching, his film is just the camcorder-fish eye stuff you see before the true credits roll. Pretty sure about that, or else he woulda been shooting on a Super 16? I do see how it reads that way though. Read it just that they had the same name but his was a skate film.

Personally enjoyed this, especially Na-Kel and Sunny, they frkn deck'd this -- but the film feels like it's missing two scenes, and it's already short so they must be on the cutting room floor.

Yes

Yeah, the film at the end does not represent the movie lol. It's just supposed to be what 4th Grade was working on.

This could have been film of the year with a few more rewrites and added depth to the supporting characters. I really despise the writing of the mother character and how she's mostly defined by her exaggerated sexuality and incompetence as a mom. There's other ways to illustrate the struggles of being a young mom without resorting to slutshaming.

Alexandro

Quote from: BigSock on October 29, 2018, 04:21:52 AM
Yeah, the film at the end does not represent the movie lol. It's just supposed to be what 4th Grade was working on.

This could have been film of the year with a few more rewrites and added depth to the supporting characters. I really despise the writing of the mother character and how she's mostly defined by her exaggerated sexuality and incompetence as a mom. There's other ways to illustrate the struggles of being a young mom without resorting to slutshaming.

Whoa... what do you mean? How was she shown as incompetent and how was she slut shamed? Did not see that at all...

I loved this little movie. Loved that it actually feels like a slice of life, and that that feeling is never betrayed by the film suddenly becoming more polished or narratively thought out... if it needed rewrites (which would mean we are assuming that this is not the film that was intended but a draft) then I think is for the better than they didn't happen.