Old news?

Started by Camel Lights, October 22, 2004, 10:09:50 PM

Camel Lights

It's new to me:

http://www.jigsawlounge.co.uk/film/paulthomasandersoninterview.html

And what's going on with the interview/music video DVD?

ono

I don't know if this guy is stupid, or just doesn't have a handle on English, or is just really trying and failing to be tongue-in-cheek, but this interview is painful so far.  Trying to plow through it, and it seems more and more like a language barrier.

I do like this, though:
Quote32. Well if Robert Altman and Martin Scorcese would be man and wife you would be an ideal son of them. (Laughing)

(Laughing) Wow! I would like to see them doing you know...

.........hmmmmm ...yes...  Now I can't get that out of my fucking head!

...(Laughing)
This, I don't like:
QuoteAnd of course I would also like to know what you are going to do next and what your future of film making is. What's your next project and where do you find inspiration?

I am looking for it right now (Laughing). You know, I don't have any plans to make a movie right now. I am reading and I am writing and I am trying to travel as much as I can. I will probably try to take maybe a year or so or two off because I think four movies in whatever, like six or seven years and I did feel a little bit like a little bit of my life just passing by. So now I try to focus a little bit more on my family, you know on something other than movies for a little bit. It's funny! I was so desperate to make movies and then I got the ability to make movies and I made four of them now. And now I should stand back because there are things that are a bit more important to me now than making movies. It's kind of an interesting thing. So I don't have a next project and I am taking my time try to read all those books that I wanted to read, clean my house (laughing), sleep up a little bit,...
I can understand where he's coming from, but it seems as if his movies will get spread apart more and more a la Kubrick or (perish the thought) Malick.

Just Withnail

Funny:

QuoteAnother question about Magnolia which is quite a complex movie. Unlike other films which have stories, have characters and something happens, bla, bla...But Magnolia has something that it's hard to notice when you first see the movie. And that is play with numbers (8:2) and its connection with biblical rain of frogs which is actually quite a phenomenon. How long did it take you to write the script and how many times did you rewrite it?

Despite the incompetence of the interviewer, Paul says quite a few interesting things about his writing proccess.

Link

What I found even funnier:

PTA:  I wrote Magnolia in maybe little over 9 months....

Okorn:  (Laughing) 9 months is a very appropriate, you know, biological time. (Laughing)

PTA:  Yeah things like that and Robert Altman and Martin Scorsese fucking. (Laughing)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:lol:  :lol:

Pubrick

well, u know, he's not a team player..
under the paving stones.

Just Withnail

That crazy old hermit, he keeps to himself.