Who here is credited in the IMDB???

Started by cron, April 07, 2004, 10:00:48 AM

md

Quote from: Hedwig
This may sound odd but I am actually ashamed of being a filmmaker from Miami, Florida because of Brett Ratner. Im not from New York, nor The Valley, nor Austin, Texas nor New Jersey, but from motherfucking Miami.

:cry:

I hear you on that, but what ive come across is that when kids are about 17-18 they are really ashamed of their town(unless they won like the state football championship) and are really just ready to move on out....this goes for kids ive met alot of places on both coasts....just a matter of doing what you can where you are with what youve got...
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm not ashamed that I'm from Michigan, I just want to make movies.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Quote from: Walrus XI'm not ashamed that I'm from Michigan, I just want to make movies.

What a wasted opportunity to add "...by any means necessary."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

Quote from: md....just a matter of doing what you can where you are with what youve got...

Yes, true -- but there's just -- I don't know...when the only director you know of to come out of Miami is motherfucking Brett Ratner then there's something very - i don't know - discouraging about that.

this is the problem: all of my favorite filmmakers make movies that wreak of heritage. Alex Payne goes back to Omaha to shoot his stuff. PTA wanted to make the "quintissential Valley movie." Wes went back to his old school to shoot Rushmore. It is an inescapable fact that their work is very much inspired by where they came from.

And that's fine, except that I hate Miami. I don't like the way it looks, the way it feels to live here. I don't like the culture, and I think it'd be a rather shitty setting for a film. So -- my work is seldom fused with any heritage. And maybe that is why my Work = None.

Xixax welcomes your existential angst.

Pedro

how about you make a movie about how shitty miami is.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: Pedro the Alpacahow about you make a movie about how shitty miami is.

Big Trouble...

I don't know. I kind of like suburbia as a place to make movies. There are lots of cliched things they... like.. almost everything.

picolas

Quote from: Pedro the Alpacahow about you make a movie about how shitty miami is.
yeah. also, you(Hedwig)'re making a pretty gaping generalization. just make stuff about stuff you like. even if it's stuff you like hating. it doesn't have to be a location.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

And call it Rat Tale.
Quote from: HedwigAnd that's fine, except that I hate Miami. I don't like the way it looks, the way it feels to live here. I don't like the culture, and I think it'd be a rather shitty setting for a film. So -- my work is seldom fused with any heritage. And maybe that is why my Work = None.
Seriously, though, that's a hook.  Use your hatred for Miami to make something.  Much like how modage and David Lynch hate Philadelphia -- not that they've ever made any movies about that, to my knowledge.

Kal

Miami is a very good place to make movies... it has also everything... there are actually several movies that are being shot in Miami this year... and some new TV shows

I also have 2 screenplays for movies based in Miami and they are good...

hedwig

Quote from: picolas
yeah. also, you(Hedwig)'re making a pretty gaping generalization. just make stuff about stuff you like. even if it's stuff you like hating. it doesn't have to be a location.

Yes, but location is very important to me in a film. You know, the movies I love the most -- the movies I am most influenced by -- the types of movies I wish to make -- are somewhat location-oriented. (Like Fargo.)

But I suppose you're right. For example, a noir piece could probably take place anywhere. It's just the Miami stereotypes that bother me. I think of Miami movies and I think of cheesy reggae muzak and sunblock-smothered beach scenes.

I also hate the word "Miami"

I have a complex, I know.

Jeremy Blackman

hedwig

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWould a Will Smith song help?

Ugh, God.

Kal

They've been shooting Transporter 2 infront of my place... I could see everything and the car crashes from my balcony...

I think that movie will suck... I can see the plot already...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: wantautopia?And call it Rat Tale.

Perhaps Ratnerblanca?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye