documentaries-recomendations/favs.?

Started by NEON MERCURY, March 06, 2004, 08:42:54 PM

MacGuffin

Are These the 25 Best Documentaries of All Time?

In honor of its 25th anniversary, the International Documentary Association has released its list of the 25 best documentaries of all time, as determined by voting among its 2,800 members. They had an original ballot of 700 titles to choose from, and they were allowed up to five write-in votes. There was no limit in scope, in other words: There were plenty of eligible titles. 

1. Hoop Dreams (1994), Steve James
2. The Thin Blue Line (1988), Errol Morris
3. Bowling for Columbine (2002), Michael Moore
4. Spellbound (2002), Jeffrey Blitz
5. Harlan County U.S.A. (1976), Barbara Kopple
6. An Inconvenient Truth (2006), Davis Guggenheim
7. Crumb (1994), Terry Zwigoff
8. Gimme Shelter (1970), Albert Maysles, David Maysles, and Charlotte Zwerin
9. The Fog of War (2003), Errol Morris
10. Roger & Me (1989), Michael Moore
11. Super Size Me (2004), Morgan Spurlock
12. Don't Look Back (1967) D.A. Pennebaker
13. Salesman (1968), Albert Maysles, David Maysles, and Charlotte Zwerin
14. Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance (1982), Godfrey Reggio
15. Sherman's March (1986), Ross McElwee
16. Grey Gardens (1976), Albert Maysles, David Maysles, Ellen Hovde, and Muffie Meyer
17. Capturing the Friedmans (2003), Andrew Jarecki
18. Born into Brothels, (2004), Ross Kauffman and Zana Briski
19. Titicut Follies (1967), Frederick Wiseman
20. Buena Vista Social Club (1999), Wim Wenders
21. Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004), Michael Moore
22. Winged Migration (2002), Jacques Perrin
23. Grizzly Man (2005), Werner Herzog
24. Night and Fog (1955), Alain Resnais
25. Woodstock (1970), Michael Wadleigh

http://www.documentary.org/resources/zine.php?stage=3&articleID=389
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

they missed american movie alright. michael moore is literally taking up too much space.

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 08, 2007, 11:42:00 AM
11. Super Size Me (2004), Morgan Spurlock
invalidated.

1. Lake of Fire
2. Humpty Dumpty
3. That Moment
4. Making of The Shining (with commentary)
5. Last Year at Marienbad
under the paving stones.

wilder

A new 35mm print of The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years is playing at LACMA on April 4 w/Penelope Spheeris in person. Posting this mostly for jenk, but I know a couple more of you also live in LA.

jenkins

:)

this is the academy's doing. what's the academy doing at lacma?

the academy is building a glass-bubble museum for movies next to lacma, maybe probably, depending on funds of course, and future plans for lacma say this glass-bubble would be next to lacma's planned black-blob building

so there'll be three academy theaters in the future definitely maybe, and for now (the academy already has offices in a lacma building) they're sharing the bing theater, which is ok for me because the academy's current nicest theater, the 1100+ capacity samuel goldwyn theater, is temporarily closed for stylistic renovations. the first academy/lacma set was the jarmusch movies, fwiw

i get these tickets for free so i have all of them +grey gardens. i've never seen the decline!! i haven't seen a single one of the three decline movies!! hopefully i can fix this soon (schedule permitting)

wilder

I have to recommend Wildwood, NJ (1994) by Carol Weaks and Cassidy and Ruth Leitman. The DVD is available via the directors' website, Ruthless Films. It's full of gold.

and I just started watching Todd Phillips' 1998 doc ...the question is will the rest live up to the first 45 seconds?

"I want you fuckin' aboard, you know what I'm sayin'? I want you to be one of my fuckin' boys."
"I'm ready to come aboard."

:rofl:

jenkins

wilder,
it's the best gutter punk doc i've seen, because i haven't seen decline 3, and the hangover dude made it while attending nyu. kinda boggles me. consider it oddly golden

Alexandro

just saw them and loved them but I gotta recommend Sweetgrass and Leviathan.

jenkins

^^that

wilder,
to rewind a sec, for a todd phillips reason i autoconverted frat boys to hated: gg allin & the murder junkies. that's like way different i bet kinda. what's frat boys like??

jenkins

BB

Aw, man, Hated is great! Perhaps more for its subject than its form (unlike Sweetgrass or Leviathan), but still. A feces-flecked treasure.

I'll have to check out Wildwood, NJ and Frat House. Thanks for the recommendations.

i'm about halfway through frat house right now, does anyone have any information on the controversy surrounding the film regarding the possibility of some of it being staged? this shit looks insanely realistic, if it really is fake, this is his best film, hands down.

also my top docus right now would be:
animal love
lake of fire
leviathan
crumb

jenkins

Quote from: wilder, Alexandro, BB, 03
emotionally referencing the above people for the new page^

mmm. the threeead. i'm in a listy mood, tbh

this list i'm making up right now that's gonna be full of docs:
grey gardens
paris is burning
milestones
marjoe
emporer's naked army marches on
the man who skied down everest
american movie
(something herzog, e.g. fata morgana)
titicut follies

stopping myself. i didn't know, when i started, that i'd enjoy making the list as much as i did

next woulda been sherman's march, but i sensed that was "risky territory," and anyway my list is already so long. positive i left some favorites out

Quote from: jenkins<3 on May 04, 2014, 09:52:16 PM
next woulda been sherman's march, but i sensed that was "risky territory,"

thats one of my favorites i forgot, but how about i one up you with  medium cool. or rather two up you.

Punch

winter soldier.
whores glory.
crumb.
hearts of darkness.
mega-cities.
baraka.
the panama deception.
a decade under the influence.
afrique 50.
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit