The king is alive

Started by The Obstruction, April 29, 2004, 04:55:23 AM

The Obstruction

i didn't know where to place this topic, so now it's gonna be here.

I just bought THE KING IS ALIVE the fourth dogme-movie by Kristian Levring and that whitout having seen the movie, but i was kind óf cheap, so what the fuck.

And i must say that i was positiv when i had seen it, it's ok, not as great as IDIOTERNE and FESTEN but better than MIFFUNES SIDSTE SANG, which i don't like.

So whats the story of this ok movie, it's about human relations and about how cruel people get when they aren't in a society where there are rules. It's not an original subject but Kristian levring makes it work, the desperet strugle reminds you how cruel peolpe are, it's FREUD in the dessert with lusty men, house-wifes, a french feme fatale and a lusty yankee-bitch.

So my question is, as usual, have anybody seen this flick, and if yes what do you think ???

"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

london

Lord of the Flies did it too.  The demise of humanity without the social structure in place.  

This movie loosely followed King Lear.  Lear is the king, he is betrayed by his daughters, he goes insane, and realizes true love in his youngest daughter, Cordelia, but it is too late.  
I suppose you could use the correlation the group is Lear, they are betrayed by the fact that they become lost to society, they go insane by turning against one another acting cruelly, and in the end they wish they had unconditional love but find it is too late to get out all the stains.

The most poignant storyline for me was the one where (its been awhile since ive seen this) the overweight disgusting man uses the free spirited American for his sex companion.  He never quite breaks her spirit though.  But really all of the conflicts were interesting.  Favorite character is the man in the desert who sits and watches all of this unfold.

I have not seen any other dogma movies (except the movie Dogma but I dont think that counts)  but I should rent one to be more knowledgable about this topic.  Anyway I thought I would reply as I have been thinking about this movie lately.
Ten should be enough.  You think 10 should be enough?  You think we need one more?  You think we need one more.  Alright,  we'll get one more.

pete

well, they built the tension up like a mofo, and the payoff is obviously the performances, this is a movie that really, really showcases acting, and they did a fine job with that.  
a lot of little plot holes though, don't you think?

ps. isn't julien donkey boy arguably the fourth dogme film, it's just that they didn't recognize it until later?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Bethie

London's Avatar  =

Bethie likes.
who likes movies anyway