Reefer Madness SE

Started by Ravi, January 07, 2004, 08:07:16 PM

Ravi

http://www.davisdvd.com/archive/12_03.html

Just when you thought it was safe to light up a fatty... 20th Century Fox has announced a definitive edition of cult favorite Reefer Madness. Originally released in 1938 as propaganda to scare America's youth off of the "demon weed," this quintessential landmark comes with a newly restored B&W transfer along with an all-new colorized version. Audio-wise, look for newly created Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS tracks (no foolin') and original mono. Extras include an audio commentary with Mystery Science Theater 3000's Mike Nelson, a second track with the Legend Films color design team, the short film "Grandpa's Marijuana Handbook" and an original trailer. Retail is $14.98. Reefer Madness is due - when else - on 4/20.

(Why?  It's not that entertaining.  I haven't watched my Madacy DVD more than once.)

Rudie Obias

other great pieces of american propaganda is RED NIGHTMARE.  so good!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

freakerdude

Well that's a shame b/c I just bought my Alpha Videos DVD version of Reefer Madness from deepdiscount for $5.99 total. The transfer was not cleaned up very well and has the mono audio  :(
MC Pee Pants

Ravi

DVD cover here, since the stupid computers at the university computer lab won't let me right click.

modage

does 'in color for the first time' mean they turner-ized it and everyone will be radioactive looking?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

Is this worth watching?  Someone gave me a dvd that has 'Reefer' and 'Cocaine Fiends' on one disc.  Being the tool I am, I've never bothered to open it.

freakerdude

It's more of a trival DVD for my collection. The overdistorted propaganda is what I find humorous.

There's a RM/CF/(?) trio DVD I think on Amazon.

My version for $5.99

The new version for $10.33 w/free S&H

MC Pee Pants

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02does 'in color for the first time' mean they turner-ized it and everyone will be radioactive looking?
Quote from: Ravicomes with a newly restored B&W transfer along with an all-new colorized version.
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The Musical had some hilarious songs on it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Cumming, Weber high on 'Reefer'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Alan Cumming and Steven Weber are among the actors hooked on "Reefer Madness," the upcoming Showtime original movie musical. Also joining the cast of the off-Broadway adaptation are Neve Campbell and Ana Gasteyer. The stage "Reefer" is a lighthearted satire of the 1936 film about the evils of marijuana from writers Kevin Murphy and Dan Studney and director Andy Fickman, who are reuniting for the Showtime version. "Reefer" also will bring back several stars of the stage version, which ran at the Hudson Backstage Theatre in Hollywood in 2000. Campbell's brother, Christian Campbell, reprises his role, as do Kristen Bell, John Kassir and Robert Torti.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Red Eyes on Showtime Over 'Reefer Madness'

Here's a prediction for 2005: Showtime is going to make some noise with its musical remake of an agitprop cinema classic, "Reefer Madness."

The Showtime movie is based on the "Reefer Madness" stage musical that was first mounted in Hollywood in 1999 and off-Broadway in 2001. The original team from the stage production -- director Andy Fickman, lyricist Kevin Murphy and composer Dan Studney -- have reprised their roles for the movie and serve as its executive producers.

The contemporary "Reefer Madness" is wonderfully satiric, beautifully shot and unabashedly silly -- as ridiculously over the top as the original 1936 flick was in attempting to warn parents that marijuana was more addictive than heroin or cocaine. The new-model "Reefer Madness" does not even take its mission as satire too seriously, yet there are subtle bits of social commentary circa 2004 sprinkled throughout.

"This is ultimately a movie about questioning authority," Fickman says. "You could take the word 'reefer' out and put a lot of other contemporary issues in there, and it would work. It works especially well for the times we live in."

Murphy, who penned the lyrics and co-wrote the book with music maestro Studney, sees it as a cautionary tale about the dangers of those who resort to extreme scare tactics to promote a particular political or social agenda. ("Once that reefer has been destroyed/we'll start on Darwin and Sigmund Freud," is one of Murphy's lyrical zingers from the closing number.)

The original "Reefer" presented marijuana as "a threat to the American way of life" by stoking white America's fears of a changing society, Murphy says, noting how the original stresses that most of the demon weed comes from Mexico and is favored by jazz musicians and other degenerate types.

But all that said, the creative brain trust behind the musical "Reefer Madness" strove for laughs more than anything else. It's hard to do anything but laugh at a movie that serves up a Busby Berkeley-style dance number with men in pot leaf-emblazoned G-strings gyrating around a giant hookah.

The show-stopper of the piece is a dream sequence in which Jesus appears before our wayward hero Jimmy -- an all-American teenager, played by Christian Campbell , who turns into a raving nut after his first toke -- in an effort to set Jimmy back on the right path. ("I'm the face on the shroud of Turin/do I have to test your urine?" the son of God implores as Jimmy breaks into his church's collection box.)

Steven Weber wears his pencil-thin mustache well in the role of the gun-toting dealer who lures unsuspecting kids from the malt shop back to the crash pad of his hopelessly addicted girlfriend, Mae, played with gusto by Ana Gasteyer . And Alan Cumming steals every scene he's in as the deadpan federal agent who comes to town to screen "Reefer Madness" for parents at the local high school.

"Reefer Madness" is set to debut next month at the Sundance Film Festival and is expected to bow on Showtime in April. Fickman and Murphy credit Showtime entertainment chief Robert Greenblatt as the "angel" who allowed them to move beyond the limits of a stage and put their wildest visions on film.

"The show we produced was always too big for our stages," Fickman says.

Adds Murphy, "And Bob just had the blind faith that we always did that it would make a really good, really funny movie."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

We were supposed to watch this film in History of Film class. We never got to it though due to too many "discussions" about the other films we viewed. I was mad because I really wanted to see it.
who likes movies anyway