Your Favorite Break-Up Songs

Started by MacGuffin, March 03, 2004, 12:46:09 PM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Dirk
Quote from: mogwaipearl jam - black

Good call.

Also, Beck - Lonesome Tears (or anything from Sea Change, I guess)

Yeah, Sea Change is the ultimate break-up album.

Thrindle

Fiona Apple tops it all with "Love Ridden".  

"No not baby anymore,
If I need you I'll just use your simple name.
Only kisses on the cheek from now on,
And in a little while, you'll only have to wave."

Sigh
Classic.

Vile5

I Can't Make You Love Me (George Michael's version)
Lady Godiva's Room (Simply Red)
Linger (The Cranberries)
The Crying Game (Boy George)

don't remember more by now...

...ok i remembered these ones

Kissing a Fool (George Michael)
Take a Bow (Madonna)
No More "I love you's" (Annie Lennox)
I Don't Care Anymore (Phil Collins)
Plush (Stone Temple Pilots)
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

mogwai

Quote from: Dirk
Quote from: mogwaipearl jam - black
Good call.
bro, especially the version from "live at the garden".

godardian

Breakup tunes list, the addendum:

"Haunted By You" - Gene
"Roadkill" - Pulp
"TV Movie" - Pulp
"The End of the World" - Skeeter Davis
"Another No One" - Suede
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

meatwad

belle and sebastian "i'm waking up to us"

godardian

Quote from: meatwadbelle and sebastian "i'm waking up to us"

:yabbse-thumbup:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

meatwad

the shins "gone for good" as well...i forgot to mention it before

The Perineum Falcon

The Beatles - For No One
But I'm not sure that counts as a break-up song, more like a pouting-time-post-break-up song.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

jasper_window

eloquentpilgrim

Quote from: Thrindle on March 03, 2004, 10:33:55 PM
Fiona Apple tops it all with "Love Ridden".  

"No not baby anymore,
If I need you I'll just use your simple name.
Only kisses on the cheek from now on,
And in a little while, you'll only have to wave."

Sigh

Argh, so true.
"And in a little while, you'll only have to wave" - this line kills me, because I can't imagine me ever being in the emotional state to do that. It's been 26 day since I've seen him.
Fortunately, I've been trying not to listen to FA's song, "Get Him Back" from hew new album Extroadinary Machine.

At the moment, to get me through (or encourage my wallowing, who knows) I've been listening to alot of French Kicks stuff (esp. the album The Trial of the Century)

Ben Folds - Mess
Wilco - Radio Cure ("Cheer up Honey, I hope you can")
PJ Harvey - Shame ("Shame is the Shadow of Love"). Basically the whole of Uh Huh Her.
And for a bit of optimism, I Love Space - Birds Attack. For the line, "You're free now, you can do whatever you.."  (They are a Sydney band by the way http://www.welovespace.tv/flash.html)

Pubrick

oookay, so you're gonna be the newb who is clearly not over her ex, and will probably never move on by the looks of it. nice character.
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

godardian

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The nail was hit on the head by both Sea Change and pretty much all of Fiona Apple's catalog.

Angry breakup:
Jay-Z - 99 Problems (mostly just for the chorus, kind of liberating)
Everclear - Now That It's Over
Ben Folds Five - Song for the Dumped
Nine Inch Nails - Reptile

Mopey breakup:
No Doubt - Don't Speak
Ben Folds Five - Selfless, Cold and Composed
Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
Hank Williams - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Beck - Rowboat

Especially the lyrics to the Vandals' "My Girlfriend's Dead."

I once had a girlfriend,
But then one day she dumped me and everywhere
I'd go people would ask me where she was.

I don't want to talk about her.
Someone always asks about her.
So I tell them all my girlfriend's dead.

I say it's leukemia or sometimes bulimia
Or a great big truck ran her over
And chopped off her head.

Someone always asks about her.
So I tell them all she's dead.

I guess there's a part of me that likes the sympathy
Or the looks on their faces when I tell them how
She passed away.

But someone always asks about her.
So I tell them all she's dead.

My girlfriend's dead you see,
It's a total lie - but it's easier on me
Than having to admit that she like's someone else.

My girlfriend's dead you know,
Please change the subject or I am going to go
Jump off a building and join her in heaven
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye