Broken Lizard's Club Dread

Started by Fishbulb, December 18, 2003, 05:28:15 PM

Fishbulb

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/club_dread/

Anyone else looking forward to this one? "Super Troopers" is one of those movies that just gets funnier the more times you watch it. I liked it when I first saw it, but now that I have the DVD I'm convinced it's some kind of modern comedy classic. It's up there with "Caddyshack" for rewatchability. I'm interested to see what these guys have come up with for their next movie. The trailer isn't laugh out loud, but I did like the two guys whose "hug" lasts a little too long.

russiasusha

Brilliant!!!    2004's going to be the shit:
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

Fishbulb

I have to agree with you there. Between this movie, Will Ferrell's ANCHORMAN, ENVY with Ben Stiller and Jack Black, and STARSKY AND HUTCH, it looks like there will be a lot of funny comedies in 2004.

ono

There's a sneak for this the 23rd of February.  Wondering if I should waste two hours on this or not.  Looks kind of lame to me, and I don't see any recognizable faces that could redeem it.  Any thoughts?

Pedro

ono

And a bad movie is a bad movie.  When pondering whether to spend an hour and a half on a drop-in-the-bucket movie, there's a big difference between oh, say, Punch-Drunk Love and Kangaroo Jack.  Just saying.

RegularKarate

well, I doubt it will be PDL, but I'm sure it could be decent.

The trailers don't look good at all, but Super Troopers was a surprise to me, in that it was actually funny.

puddnanners

Saw this movie this afternoon, and thought that it was really entertaining.  I have not seen Super Troopers, so I went into this relatively unsure about Broken Lizard's brand of comedy, but after seeing this, consider me a fan.  I think what seperates this flick from Super Troopers (again, I am asuming, because i have not seen ST) is that this is not a straight comedy, it is actually a horror movie that is funny.  But not funny in a Scream 1/2/3 sense, where the jokes are at the expense of the genre (and are also not funny), but more like an Evil Dead, where there is plenty of humor, but also some decent scares and an obvious respect for genre (beyond that, this movie is nothing like Evil Dead though).  I think the best character was Cocoanut Pete played by Bill Paxton.  The Jimmy Buffet spoofing was really funny (Album titles like "Sea Shanties, Wet Panties" and "Spanish Fly Fisherman", not to mention the song "Pina Colada-berg").  Overall, not great acting or great filmmaking, but just a good, smart script that is perhaps 15 minutes too long.  Also, several attractive people get naked.

RegularKarate

Man, Pudnanner's review makes me really want to see this.

Banky

i wanna see this so bad that

"im freaking out man"

Banky

it was pretty funny but not nearly ass funny as ST

but damn did anyone else see Jordan Lads titties?

Those things were pretty big and looked really natural.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Bankybut damn did anyone else see Jordan Lads titties?

Those things were pretty big and looked really natural.
I'm so at this movie tomorrow.

Banky

you gotta support Broken Lizard opening weekend

Just Withnail

Quote from: Bankyyou gotta support Broken Lizard/ Jordan Lads titties opening weekend

Banky

somone else please give opinion of movie