Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

Drenk

I never liked her. She's a spoiled child with delusion of grandeur in love with the idea of what she represents. Still better than Cersei, though.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ©brad on August 14, 2017, 02:24:05 PM
Daenerys kind of lost me this episode, or maybe she's always been ruthless and we're just seeing it more now. Her whole "I'm fighting for the poor people, but if you don't join me I'll kill you" schtick its pretty evil. She couldn't have captured those guys who refused to bend the knee, or give them a more painless death?

I mean, this is the same Daenerys that crucified the masters along the road to Meereen. She's softened up. Don't forget her Dothraki training and her family history of "fire and blood" (their house words). The point of Daenerys is that she is fierce and violent (which you have to be to conquer in that world) but also has egalitarian ideals. I feel like we need to meet this story halfway with a little cultural relativism, which should be easier to accept in this fiction. (And for me, it really is.)

She invited all the remaining Lannister soldiers (including the commander!) to join her and offered her trust in exchange. But Randyll was like "nope, kill me" and Dickon was like "me too!" In the scene that followed, Dany took no particular joy in burning them. It was an explicit parallel to Ned carrying out the execution in the beginning of season 1. Dany even formally sentenced them in the same way: "I, Daenerys of house Targaryen, first of my name, breaker of chains and mother of dragons, sentence you to die."

WorldForgot

Quote from: ©brad on August 14, 2017, 02:24:05 PM
Daenerys kind of lost me this episode, or maybe she's always been ruthless and we're just seeing it more now.

And although it was an ultimatum, the decision was their choice; more freedom than Dany has seen from most rulers.

Jeremy Blackman

Also, as Lottery said, Randyll Tarly was a Targaryen loyalist and actually fought against Robert to keep the Targaryens in power. Wouldn't be a stretch for him to join Daenerys, but he chose suicide. Strange for him to use "foreign invaders" as a pejorative when that's what the Targaryens were. Maybe he really was hung up on the Dothraki. Or perhaps this would have been one loyalty switch too many, and he wanted to go down in the history books as a principled hero.

Fernando

First the things that bothered me.

The biggest. Jaime and Bronn getting out of there so easy, I mean it should be logical that Dany would send for them, she literally saw them jump in the water, there's no way that went unnoticed.

Sansa and Arya's conflict of nothing. I really hope they don't prolong this idiotic rivalry which could be cleared up with a conversation that lasts less than 5 seconds: "why did you write that letter?!" "I didn't! Cersei did." And on top of this they have Bran who sees everything. AND, Arya has many faces, she shouldn't need to sneak in to spy on LF.

Now the good stuff.

That scene of Jon and the dragon was something else, the emotions of both him and Dany were great, and Drogon was a like a cute kitten that smells you and knows you're his friend. I wonder if Dany knows Tyrion set free the other two dragons...she has to right?

Literate Gilly FTW. She's about to mention Jon Snow's parents and Sam suddenly had it and has to leave immediately? (not that he knows that of course). OK, but the interesting part here is that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married for a brief time, therefore Jon is NOT a bastard.

Oh and Cersei is pregnant! That should be interesting, maybe more so in her than any other character.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Fernando on August 14, 2017, 04:43:54 PMOh and Cersei is pregnant! That should be interesting, maybe more so in her than any other character.

Yeah. Does anyone still think Jaime is going to kill her? Seems even less likely given the new circumstances. Arya-as-Jaime is looking pretty good right now. Think of how heartbreaking and confusing that would be for Cersei, too. It would also be thematically interesting that Arya is killing an unborn child to avenge the Red Wedding, which also killed an unborn child.

Drenk

No. I read the pregnancy as "Jaime will kill Cersei AND his unborn child". Which will be a sad way to create a G.R.R moment. But maybe I'm wrong; I still can't imagine Jaime not killing his sister. Even if Cersei being okay with whatever is happening because it is easier for the plot was weird...
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Has Jaime even started on the path to believing Cersei needs to be killed? As much as we'd like to believe that, I don't see evidence for it. He's a little scared of her, but he clearly still loves her more than life itself.

Drenk

When she'll decide to sacrifice everybody, even herself, in order not to be killed by Dany, he'll struggle...Now? Will he be blinded by his love? He still thinks Cersei isn't crazy. She'll do something even more crazy than what she already did. To me, that's the journey of Jaime.
Ascension.

polkablues

I'm not convinced Cersei isn't lying about the baby. She feels Jaime slipping out of her fingers, and she knows the one trump card she can still pull out of her deck. And Jaime finding out about this lie could be a pretty powerful final straw to snap.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

Lottery

Cersei's already had 3 gold-haired kids. If the witch's prophecy right, it's either a lie or baby no. 4 ain't gonna make it. Jaime killing her would be a cool way to ensure that both prophecies will be fulfilled, she'll only ever have 3 kids and the whole younger brother valonqar business.

As far as Dany goes,  she's been pretty reasonable in terms of warfare. Burning people alive is uncool but Cersei's (and Tyrion) guilty of that too and she did it to innocents. Dany has given survivors a choice. She has shown a fair bit of restraint considering her potential. Realistically, she could have easily won the war already in a few months then focused on the WW but I guess the super duper dream team kidnapping a zombie to convince Cersei is more important.
In any case, she's closer to Aegon than the Mad King.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 14, 2017, 12:20:52 PM

Anyway:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 13, 2017, 11:42:19 PMDaenerys appears to have a pretty intense crush on Jon. That is definitely not subtext anymore. We'll have to add some screencaps. But wow, she was basically batting her eyes at him, then when he wanted to leave she seemed equally terrified she'd lose him and inspired by his bravery and selflessness.

"Eastwatch4.jpg" is such a great moment/expression. Kudos to Emilia Clarke ~

Jeremy Blackman

Totally. This is one of her best-acted episodes for sure. Some actors she seems to work well with; Kit is one of them.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on August 14, 2017, 06:35:55 PM
I'm not convinced Cersei isn't lying about the baby. She feels Jaime slipping out of her fingers, and she knows the one trump card she can still pull out of her deck. And Jaime finding out about this lie could be a pretty powerful final straw to snap.

That would be fun, but I do think Cersei is pregnant for real. It appears that's what Qyburn was talking to her about. Maybe that was part of a show, but probably not.

This would give her some additional character motivation. Now that her house has a potential future, she might behave less recklessly.