The Simpsons-The Movie

Started by i/o, May 05, 2003, 12:56:33 AM

Sleuth

Quote from: Mike ReissWe've got a very good and interesting idea and it's different from the show. You know, it's like the "South Park" movie where it's just a bigger, longer, amplified version of the show. I can't tell you anything specific about it. My wife doesn't even know the secret.

I don't like the way this is sounding.  Amplified?  The Simpsons amplified?  I think that's part of why I stopped watching it a long time ago.
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

Quote from: SlorgI don't like the way this is sounding.  Amplified?  The Simpsons amplified?  I think that's part of why I stopped watching it a long time ago.
i know, that part bothered me. south park worked cos they had sumthing to expand on (swearing). the simpsons might try to do musical shit but it'll come off shit cos they havn't been able to do good musical numbers in years. they did an OK attempt in The President Wore Pearls recently, but that was just stolen anyways.

i hope by amplified they mean "better".
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

VARIETY FOLLOWS UP ON THE SIMPSONS MOVIE DEVELOPMENT

After one of the scribes involved in the Simpsons movie spilled the beans to DVDFanatic.com in an interview released yesterday.

Variety today, reports that "Simpsons" gurus Matt Groening and James L. Brooks are indeed leading a team of writers in actively developing an animated bigscreen feature based on the long-running Fox hit.

Active work on a concept for the pic began a few months ago, after 20th Century Fox's film division hammered out deals with key writers. "This is our idea of how to whip up enthusiasm for an idea that hasn't been formed yet," Brooks said in a statement issued by 20th. Chris Meledandri, studio's animation chief, said the studio was "very excited about the possibility of making a 'Simpsons' movie."

"However, we are in the very early stages of developing an idea for the movie," he added. At least seven past and present writers of "The Simpsons" are said to be involved. A studio spokesman didn't return a call seeking comment, but industry insiders believe Al Jean, Mike Scully, Mike Reiss, David Mirkin and George Meyer are all on board, in addition to Brooks and Groening.

Reiss is certainly involved: He's the scribe who talked about the project. "They've wanted to do this since season two. It's been 13 years of wanting to do 'The Simpsons' movie," he said in an interview with DVDFanatic.com. "Finally Fox said, 'Let's just do it!' We never had the greatest idea that was compelling but Fox said, 'Maybe if we start paying you, you'll get inspired.' And sure enough, it worked!"
While Brooks said there's no final decision on an idea, Reiss said there is concept that seems to be hot.

There's no timetable yet as to a release date on the project, though with Groening's quality control and animation lead time, it's likely at least two years off.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I hope Ian Maxtone-Graham comes nowhere near this project.

I remember a Matt Groening quote when he was asked about when would be the movie have a release date :  " When hell freezes".
context, context, context.

kotte

Simpsons Movie Confirmed

At long last the wait is over
11 February 2004

The jaundiced inhabitants of Springfield are currently producing a fifteenth series, but, after more than a decade and countless rumours, we've still not seen any sign of a Simpsons movie. Until now.

After one of the writers let the cat out of the bag on a DVD site yesterday, the creators of The Simpsons have officially confirmed that a big screen version is on its way. According to James L Brooks, the film is still in the very early stages but pieces are already falling into place. "We've got a very good and interesting idea, and it's different from the show," he told Variety. "You know, it's like the South Park movie where it's just a bigger, longer, amplified version of the show. I can't tell you anything specific about it. My wife doesn't even know the secret."

"They've wanted to do this since season two," said writer Mike Reiss. "It's been 13 years of wanting to do The Simpsons movie. Finally Fox said, 'Let's just do it!' We never had the greatest idea that was compelling but Fox said, 'Maybe if we start paying you, you'll get inspired.' And sure enough, it worked!"

So no hints as to what we can expect but all of the show's talent are likely to sign on for the film. No one attached to the project was able to provide a timeline for the release but, taking into account the scale of the project and the animation process, it's thought that we're still a good two years from Homer and the gang's cinematic debut.

MacGuffin

More proof nobody reads what I post.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Quote from: MacGuffinMore proof nobody reads what I post.

Welcome ,newbie!
Your DVD collection must be very small.  :twisted:  :twisted:

MacGuffin

At least this newbie can work the Search engine.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

oooh snap.  newbie fires and hits a bullseye.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

hey MacGuffin, you just passed your 5500th  post, Congrats.

kotte

Quote from: MacGuffinMore proof nobody reads what I post.

Crap...ah well...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: kotteFinally Fox said, 'Let's just do it!'

:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D yes lets do by golly!!! :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D ........lets......lets.......lets make it real big!!!!......lets...make it pretty......and lets have lots......i mean LOTS!! of laughs..........oh won't it be so swell!!!!

MacGuffin

Writers Working on 'The Simpsons' Movie

NEW YORK (AP) - Lisa Simpson will still be 8 when "The Simpsons" movie comes out — but we'll be a lot older.

Writers are working now, but the voice of Lisa Simpson, Yeardley Smith, said the film won't be made until the series is over, and it still has at least two seasons to go. Smith said it will then take three years to make the movie because "animation takes forever."

Despite the lengthy process, Smith says she's glad to hear about the movie. "My wish for the show is that it go out with a bang and not a pimple," Smith told AP Radio. "And if we can do a movie and it can be as good as our best episodes, I'm thrilled. I think that would be wonderful."

Smith said she hopes the writers will keep Lisa's childlike sense of humor in the movie.

"If they just make her too esoteric, too philosophical, too bright, too much the voice of reason then she really becomes insufferable," she said. "You have to always, always, always remember that she's 8 and that she's a huge Itchy and Scratchy fan, that she loves Krusty the Clown. And that in spite of her beliefs and her issues, she's a kid."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin"If they just make her too esoteric, too philosophical, too bright, too much the voice of reason then she really becomes insufferable," she said. "You have to always, always, always remember that she's 8 and that she's a huge Itchy and Scratchy fan, that she loves Krusty the Clown. And that in spite of her beliefs and her issues, she's a kid."
that's funny how even the actors are aware of what the show is missing these days. and her reference to "best episodes", oh snap. i don't envy the position the writers are in right now. making this movie good is officially the Hardest Thing Ever.
under the paving stones.