The thread where you embarass yourself with movies you've never seen

Started by Pas, April 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

Pas

Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 28, 2010, 01:33:30 PM
I haven't seen the following movies from the AFI Top 100 list:  Gone with the Wind, Bridge on the River Kwai, Some Like it Hot, Best Years of Our Lives, West Side Story, Butch Cassidy, From Here to Eternity, All Quiet on the Western Front, Sound of Music, MASH, Tootsie, Manchurian Candidate, An American in Paris, Shane, Ben-Hur, Wuthering Heights, Giant, Mutiny on the Bounty, Patton, Jazz Singer, My Fair Lady, A Place in the Sun, Unforgiven, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Additions to 2008 list I haven't seen:  Cabaret, In the Heat of the Night, Swing Time, Sophie's Choice.

Come on dammit, I named really shameful stuff like Pulp Fiction and Taxi Driver or weird stuff everybody's seen like Shawshank and you reveal your deep shame of not having seen fucking Tootsie.

Name Xixax-classics (or really terrible things like not having seen the fucking Godfather (what the hell Pete?!) or Casablanca (it's pretty damn good, P!))

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

dude of that list... run to the video store right now and get manchurian candidate and unforgiven. while you're there get the manchurian remake too.

oh and tootsie is great mofo
the one last hit that spent you...

Pas

Quote from: Stefen on April 28, 2010, 01:39:05 PM
Pas, you really haven't seen all of Boogie Nights?

In the middle I said to my gf: wanna watch TV instead and she replied: ''hell yeah.''

We must be stupid  :shock:

modage

i've never seen The Birth of a Nation, All Quiet on the Western Front, Ben-Hur, Mutiny on the Bounty, The Jazz Singer, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Intolerance, Cabaret, Sophie's Choice*, The Red Shoes, Gandhi, An Affair to Remember, The Kid, The Battleship Potemkin, or anything by Satyajit Ray, Krzysztof Kieslowski or John Cassavetes.

i've seen 5 Lars Von Trier movies but haven't liked a single one.  I've seen 7(!) Jim Jarmusch movies but haven't liked a single one either.

but seriously Pas, yours are really embarrassing.

*Actually, Netflix reminds me that I actually did see Sophie's Choice.  I just forgot about it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

socketlevel

i just saw love streams and i've come to the conclusion i don't like robert altman or john casavettes work nearly as much as other people. their attempt to make something free flowing and sloppy/realistic often comes across cartoonish and amateur.
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

How necessary do you think watching all these supposed great movies really is? I mean, even if we haven't seen them, we still know of them, know what they're about, know who did them, usually know how they end.

I think we had this conversation somewhere before in regards to Rocky. I've never seen Rocky, but do I really need to see it? I know everything about it. Who made it, who stars, what it's about, the climax, etc.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

Quote from: Stefen on April 28, 2010, 01:44:40 PM
How necessary do you think watching all these supposed great movies really is?

Totally agree about the old supposed classics of the AFI list. I'm sure I'll die without seeing Gandhi and I'll never think twice about it. I'd rather read his wikipedia entry, 3 hours saved right there. I'd rather see some weird shit like The World's Greatest Sinner that nobody ever talks about and is really something else.

The only reason I'm embarassed of not having seen "It's a wonderful life" is because I have such a huge poster of it. But I know all about it so I can't imagine myself wanting to see it.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 28, 2010, 01:38:22 PM
Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 28, 2010, 01:33:30 PM
I haven't seen the following movies from the AFI Top 100 list:  Gone with the Wind, Bridge on the River Kwai, Some Like it Hot, Best Years of Our Lives, West Side Story, Butch Cassidy, From Here to Eternity, All Quiet on the Western Front, Sound of Music, MASH, Tootsie, Manchurian Candidate, An American in Paris, Shane, Ben-Hur, Wuthering Heights, Giant, Mutiny on the Bounty, Patton, Jazz Singer, My Fair Lady, A Place in the Sun, Unforgiven, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Additions to 2008 list I haven't seen:  Cabaret, In the Heat of the Night, Swing Time, Sophie's Choice.

Come on dammit, I named really shameful stuff like Pulp Fiction and Taxi Driver or weird stuff everybody's seen like Shawshank and you reveal your deep shame of not having seen fucking Tootsie.

Name Xixax-classics (or really terrible things like not having seen the fucking Godfather (what the hell Pete?!) or Casablanca (it's pretty damn good, P!))

Haha.  "Fucking Tootsie" should be a banner.

modage

How necessary do you think watching all these supposed great movies really is? I mean, even if we haven't seen them, we still know of them, know what they're about, know who did them, usually know how they end.

Apparently not very.  After years of hearing about Sophie's Choice from my mom (amongst other sources) I guess I finally watched it like 2 years ago but forgot about it when I was making this list.  When I saw my Netflix rating on the film I vaguely remembered it being not as depressing as the version I'd heard about for years.  My brain just pushed the actual movie out and put the memory of what it might have been like back in it's place.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

Well, Gandhi is no big deal but Kingsley is great in it. And DDL has a small part in it too. I guess what Im getting at is that you watch a film because something attracts you to it, not because is on the fucking AFI list or because it won oscars, that is unless you are 13. Tootsie has Dustin Hoffman in one of his very good jobs AND Bill Murray...and so on...

Pas...It's hard to top you at this moment...that's some insane misses you have there. Boogie Nights?? The Shinning? Come on man, you're putting us on with those two!!

Pas

Quote from: Alexandro on April 28, 2010, 02:01:33 PM
Pas...It's hard to top you at this moment...that's some insane misses you have there. Boogie Nights?? The Shinning? Come on man, you're putting us on with those two!!

Haha I'm still hiding some. Really bad ones, too.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: Alexandro on April 28, 2010, 02:01:33 PM
Well, Gandhi is no big deal but Kingsley is great in it. And DDL has a small part in it too. I guess what Im getting at is that you watch a film because something attracts you to it, not because is on the fucking AFI list or because it won oscars, that is unless you are 13. Tootsie has Dustin Hoffman in one of his very good jobs AND Bill Murray...and so on...

Sure, sure, but when I browse the list I start to wonder why I haven't been directed towards some of these films in other ways, you know?  Fucking Tootsie just doesn't come up in my day-to-day too much, for whatever reason.

New Feeling

I think we had this conversation somewhere before in regards to Rocky. I've never seen Rocky, but do I really need to see it? I know everything about it. Who made it, who stars, what it's about, the climax, etc.

this is idiotic.  You don't know shit about Rocky until you've seen it.  And that goes for an any movie.  Rocky is great by the way.  You will dig it.  Also P just watch Casablaca for fuck sake it's amazing.  And Pas if you don't love Pulp Fiction I will eat my shoe.  I've seen pretty much all the legit american "classics" and have rarely regretted it. The only really obvious movies I can think of that I still have't seen are Slumdog an Return of the King.  There are a bunch of foreign films I still need to catch up with like Tokyo Story, Ordet, Ugetsu, Apu Trilogy, but I don't think I have any real deal embarrassments like y'all are throwing around.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 02:16:27 PM

this is idiotic.  You don't know shit about Rocky until you've seen it.  And that goes for an any movie.  Rocky is great by the way.  You will dig it.  Also P just watch Casablaca for fuck sake it's amazing.  And Pas if you don't love Pulp Fiction I will eat my shoe.  I've seen pretty much all the legit american "classics" and have rarely regretted it. The only really obvious movies I can think of that I still have't seen are Slumdog an Return of the King.  There are a bunch of foreign films I still need to catch up with like Tokyo Story, Ordet, Ugetsu, Apu Trilogy, but I don't think I have any real deal embarrassments like y'all are throwing around.

Hey man, we're having a good time here, and I really don't want to put on my serious hat and call out your bullshit pretentious ethnocentric hypocrisy here.  I say keep walking.