Top 10 of 2019 (So Far)

Started by Jeremy Blackman, July 31, 2019, 12:12:58 AM

Jeremy Blackman

1. Midsommar (Director's Cut)
2. Once Upon A Time ... In Hollywood
3. Us

A very early list, but feels good to start off with three films that I love so much. (Even in a year with a lot of disappointments so far.)

Alethia

UPDATED 10/28/19

1. Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino
2. Conjuring the Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story By Martin Scorsese - Martin Scorsese
3. The Lighthouse - Robert Eggers
4. Under the Silver Lake - David Robert Mitchell
5. High Life - Claire Denis
6. Midsommar - Ari Aster
7. Non-Fiction - Olivier Assayas
8. The Irishman - Martin Scorsese
9. Long Day's Journey Into Night - Bi Gan
10. Her Smell - Alex Ross Perry

Sleepless

I can only muster a top 3:

OUATIH
Us
Peterloo
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Something Spanish

first, here is what i haven't seen that looks to have potential ranking: Ash is the Purest White, Long Day's Journey, Diane (on Hulu, will see soon), The Mustang, Non-Fiction (Hulu in Aug.), The Farewell (out this Fri.) and Child's Play (jk, but Annabelle Comes Home looks fire)

this is what i've got

1. Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
2. Under the Silver Lake
3. Midsommar
4. Her Smell
5. John Wick 3
6. Transit
7. Everybody Knows
8. Peterloo
9. Toy Story 4
10. Bookmart (I guess)

liked: Dumbo, Endgame, Dragged Across Concrete, The Beach Bum, Us
need to rewatch: High Life
Overrated AF: The Souvenir, Climax, Last Black Man... (but still pretty impressive), Spider-Man
Biggest disappointment so far: The Dead Don't Die
Not as bad as I thought it'd be: The Lion King

jenkins

Long Day's Journey Into Night
Ash Is Purest White
The Farewell
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Permanent Green Light
Shadow
The Image Book

WorldForgot

1. Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood
2. Knife + Heart
3. Climax
4. Us
5. Horror Noire
6. Midsommar
7. Under the Silver Lake
8. Beach Bum

Of what I've missed, I really want to see (and will seek out) Pasolini, The Farewell, Crawl, The Mustang, Luce, and Non Fiction. This list doesn't rank any of the Okay moviez that I won't watch again (long shot, stuber etc.).

polkablues

I've almost watched Knife + Heart about four times now. I should probably pull the trigger one of these days.
My house, my rules, my coffee

putneyswipe

I think it’s been a strong year for American film so far, shaping up to be one of the strongest of the decade.

My favs so far:

OUATIH
Under The Silver Lake
Dragged Across Concrete
The Beach Bum
Midsommar
The Dead Don’t Die
Ma

There are also movies that don’t quite work on a whole but have some of the strongest scenes of the year, like De Palma’s Domino and Diamantino.

Pasolini doesn’t really count as a 2019 release but since WorldForgot mentioned it, that might be the second best movie I saw in a theater this year.

wilberfan

Quote from: eward on August 06, 2019, 04:28:34 PM
[tweet]1158812744096686080[/tweet]

Et tu, Bret?  I was counting on you to join me in mutural disdain for OUATIH.  Summer, thy name is disappointment.

samsong

1. a hidden life
2. i heard you paint houses
3. uncut gems
4. once upon a time... in hollywood
5. transit
6. *tie* high life & ad astra
7. marriage story
8. peterloo
9. a beautiful day in the neighborhood
10. the beach bum

Alethia

jenkins

Quote from: jenkins on August 01, 2019, 04:22:41 PM
Ash Is Purest White
The Farewell
Permanent Green Light
Shadow
The Image Book

i can do 10 now

Ash Is Purest White
The Farewell
Pain and Glory
A Hidden Life
Permanent Green Light
Shadow
The Image Book
Luce

jenkins

find myself on the scorsese side of which is better the irishman or once upon a time in hollywood. although honestly neither of them was the most fun i had at the movies this year. or the most i felt about anything. I'd place^ The Irishman below Permanent Green Light and above Once Upon A Time, right there, although that kicks Luce out, which in its own way inspired me to think and feel more than either of the other two. but it was less cinematic. maybe The Irishman could have passed Pain and Glory but WF made that post about it that's the best post anybody has made about any movie this year

remainder of the year: most want to see Honey Boy this weekend but i expect to skip it though actually. will Waves be a good one, week after? im not going to see Everybody's Everything but don't tell nobody. fam, idk what happened, idgaf about the mr rogers movie. id rather watch big you dumbass who made this decision. that's a gender-neutral non-binary joke, im friends with diary of a teenage girl. fam, i think dark waters look boring except for mark ruffalo's chubby midwestern facial impression. knives out idgaf about and cry about it to the bank. Queen & Slim i want to see, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, and honestly i might curveball the crowd by liking In Fabric more than anybody who liked that other one by the director whatever it was. Clint Eastwood is genuinely 89 in terms of what i most think about in relation to Richard Jewell. Black Christmas, oh, oh. what's going to happen there. that sounds like a genre lock, possibly. ive already seen A Hidden Life, it's already on my list. Star Wars idgaf. Cats became too cool for cult through celebrating its suckiness. is Bombshell nonsense or not, i have to wait to hear. Little Women will be great in that contemporary way where supposedly it just feels right(?). 1917 is a stereotypical male nerds and rebel-female movie. i want to see Uncut Gems for sure

jenkins

people, i'm keeping track of my list so i'm prepared for social situations okay

Ash Is Purest White
The Farewell
Queen & Slim
Pain and Glory
A Hidden Life
Permanent Green Light
The Irishman
The Image Book