Subjects for future Paul films

Started by Vicko99, April 07, 2019, 09:10:43 PM

pynchonikon

By saying "it will make a lot of sense", my mind goes immediately to RDJ (they are trying to work together for years), though he seems to be occupied with the production of Sherlock Holmes 3 (not sure about the schedule, tbh). From the remaining guys that were mentioned (and considering that the lead has not worked with PTA before) i can't think of a better choice than Fass, that would be a collaboration for the ages  :). Don't have any particular problem with Gosling, would be curious to see how he could fit into the PTA cinematic universe  :ponder:. Gordon-Levitt is another interesting case, which looks like the casting of Adam Sandler back in the PDL days (though he's a FAR better actor than Sandler, no discussion about that).

martinthewarrior

RudyBlatnoyd

I reckon my Joseph Gordon-Levitt guess was on the money then...

Drenk

RDJ is the only one that would make sense.
Ascension.

Alethia

Still holding fast and foolish to Penn considering he was a long-standing fixture in both the PDL and Inherent Vice rumormills. Also just cuz I want it.

Tdog

Possibilites:
DeNiro (he mentioned in an interview about a year ago that he had met with PTA)
Penn
Downey Jr.
Gordon-Levitt
Franco (martinthewarrior ruled out Renner but didn't mention Franco. Hmmmmmm)
Gosling

HoQTeMR4

Robyn

Alethia

I could get down with a PTA/Driver collab.

Robyn

Me too.

I think he would be perfect in a PTA-film.

Sleepless

JGL would be my pick. He's criminally underrated and has seemed on the precipice of doing something really great - and being acknowledged for it - a few times over the past decade (?) but it's never quite fallen into place. A collab with PTA would be impossible to ignore and could launch him into the tier of recognition he deserves.

That said, RDJ would undoubtedly be fun, but not sure quite how "serious" it'd be.

So we might find out within the next month, huh?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

pynchonikon

JGL wouldnt be a so strange pick, he's done it again in the past by making a movie with Sandler, when everyone was expecting his next big step and he chose instead to take a break from groundbreaking visions. The real deal, imo, is how commercial the name of the protagonist will be, given that the last PTA movies were really struggling at the box-office.

Another important issue is the actual type of movie. Will it be an one-character study with one main lead surrounded by minor characters, or an ensemble cast movie like Magnolia and IV? Could it be a lighter and family-friendlier entry in his filmography (so a name like JGL wouldnt really be a problem) or another serious and ambitious beast that will have difficulties of finding an audience (in that case, i suppose a big star like RDJ is required)?

WorldForgot

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on April 22, 2019, 10:57:22 AM
Will it be an one-character study with one main lead surrounded by minor characters, or an ensemble cast movie like Magnolia and IV?

Unfortunately, I think one of the issuez people take with IV is that it was more of the former and they had expected the latter.

pynchonikon

Quote from: WorldForgot on April 22, 2019, 12:02:38 PM
Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on April 22, 2019, 10:57:22 AM
Will it be an one-character study with one main lead surrounded by minor characters, or an ensemble cast movie like Magnolia and IV?

Unfortunately, I think one of the issuez people take with IV is that it was more of the former and they had expected the latter.

You're right, the way I put it seems false, by ensemble cast meaning a respectable number of very recognisable actors in small supporting roles (while in Magnolia the word "ensemble" has to do directly with the story and the characters, not just with the stars) but anyway IV would hardly be called a single character study. Perhaps a country study? It's a monster by itself, no easy categorisation.

Shughes

Do we know for sure the lead has been mentioned here already?

Otherwise my guess would be Timothee Chalamet since they both called each other out not too long ago.

Also people keep talking about JGL in the same breath as Sandler like it would be a similar move to that collaboration on PDL. I don't think of JGL that way at all. He was great in Manic, Mysterious Skin, Looper, Inception and a bunch of other things. I think he's a talent and a collaboration with PTA would bring out the best in him.

Also I may be the only one who is bummed that this will be set in present day. I love his period work and detail so much in The Master, TWBB, and PT.