The 78th Annual Academy Awards: Winners List on Page 7

Started by MacGuffin, January 05, 2006, 12:48:07 AM

Gamblour.

man I remember when neon's misspellings were quirky and loveable.

I also remember Eastwood talking about Haggis' script for Million Dollar Baby and how "rough" it was and that he tried to kinda keep it that, idealistically.

I finally watched the oscars, and I think Jon Stewart was fucking hilarious, I feel bad for thinking he would suck. His jokes were so dead on awesome and scathing. And the happiness of Three-Six Mafia and the director of Tsotsi and PSH were so awesome. Reese is just a lovely gal. Ang Lee's "I wish I knew how to quit you" line was awkwardly bad and funny.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

'Brokeback' Author Peeved About Oscar Loss

Annie Proulx, whose 1997 short story inspired the film "Brokeback Mountain," has penned a scattershot blast in a British newspaper unleashing her anger over the film's best-picture Oscar loss.

Proulx criticizes Oscar voters and the Academy Awards ceremony in the 1,094-word rant, which appeared in Saturday's issue of The Guardian, a liberal paper boasting 1.2 million readers daily.

The best-picture Oscar went to "Crash," which focuses on race relations in Los Angeles.

Academy members who vote for the year's best film are "out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city," Proulx writes.

The 70-year-old Pulitzer-prize winning author points out that "Brokeback," which was nominated for eight Academy Awards, was named best picture at the Independent Spirit Awards one day before the March 5 Oscars.

"If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices," Proulx advises.

She even lashes out at Lionsgate, the distribution company behind "Crash."

"Rumour has it that Lionsgate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash excuse me Crash a few weeks before the ballot deadline," Proulx writes.

She decries the "atmosphere of insufferable self-importance" inside the Kodak Theatre, the Oscars site, and describes the audience as a "somewhat dim LA crowd." The show, she writes, was "reminiscent of a small-town talent-show night."

"Clapping wildly for bad stuff enhances this," Proulx writes.

She notes that "Brokeback's" three Oscar wins, for original score, adapted screenplay and direction for Ang Lee put it "on equal footing with King Kong."

When Jack Nicholson announced "Crash" as the best-picture winner, "there was a gasp of shock," Proulx writes.

"It was a safe pick of `controversial film' for the heffalumps," she writes, using the elephant-like "Winnie the Pooh" character to describe academy voters.

"For those who call this little piece a Sour Grapes Rant," Proulx concludes, "play it as it lays."

Calls by the Associated Press to Proulx's Wyoming home and her literary agent, Elizabeth Darhansoff, were not immediately returned Tuesday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

maybe shes just pissed cause with the shitty news EXCUSE ME SHIPPING NEWS OH IM BEING PROULX NOW, shes a two time loser. :violin:

brockly

yeah, this is the most pathetic anti-oscars rant i've heard since this... except she actually has a point. she just can't get it across without sounding like a fucking over-incensed idiot. and her king kong bashing was insipid and pointless. brokeback was about a million times better than crash, but fuck :(

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet You're trying to essentially say the Oscars don't matter, but your post is such a speel and tirade that you're coming off as caring more about it than anyone here.

Pubrick

that reminds me, what were the ratings like for this one? (paging whoever knows)
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrick on March 15, 2006, 06:54:56 AM
that reminds me, what were the ratings like for this one? (paging whoever knows)

Oscars ratings second-worst in nearly 20 years
Tuesday, March 7, 2006; Posted: 10:58 a.m. EST (15:58 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- An estimated 38.8 million people watched the Academy Awards on ABC, down 8 percent from last year and the second-worst showing in nearly two decades, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Except for the 2003 count of 33 million viewers -- when "Chicago" took the best-picture award -- the Oscars hadn't dipped below 40 million viewers since 1987, Nielsen said.

With the lack of blockbuster films in the running, it wasn't much of a surprise that ratings were down for Sunday's telecast, when "Crash" won the best-picture Oscar.

The audience was smallest during the first half-hour, when host Jon Stewart did his monologue, Nielsen said, but ABC gained from last year among men aged 18 to 34.

Other awards shows have been struggling lately, too: The Grammys last month had its smallest audience on record and the Golden Globes its second lowest viewership in 10 years, Nielsen said.

Ravi

I hope this is the beginning of people starting to not give a shit about awards ceremonies.

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 11, 2006, 12:57:32 PM
All I know is I will never look at Shane the same way again. And I didn't realize how many gay cowboys Gregory Peck has played.  :shock:

haha. yeah. shane is really gay. i saw it for the first time a few months ago and couldn't believe how gay it was for a movie associated with straight manly men. straight guys are fags.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 15, 2006, 02:27:13 AM

http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1727309,00.html

Blood on the red carpet
Annie Proulx on how her Brokeback Oscar hopes were dashed by Crash
Saturday March 11, 2006
The Guardian

On the sidewalk stood hordes of the righteous, some leaning forward like wind-bent grasses, the better to deliver their imprecations against gays and fags to the open windows of the limos - the windows open by order of the security people - creeping toward the Kodak Theater for the 78th Academy Awards. Others held up sturdy, professionally crafted signs expressing the same hatred.

The red carpet in front of the theatre was larger than the Red Sea. Inside, we climbed grand staircases designed for showing off dresses. The circular levels filled with men in black, the women mostly in pale, frothy gowns. Sequins, diamonds, glass beads, trade beads sparkled like the interior of a salt mine. More exquisite dresses appeared every moment, some made from six yards of taffeta, and many with sweeping trains that demanded vigilance from strolling attendees lest they step on a mermaid's tail. There was one man in a kilt - there is always one at award ceremonies - perhaps a professional roving Scot hired to give colour to the otherwise monotone showing of clustered males. Larry McMurtry defied the dress code by wearing his usual jeans and cowboy boots.

The people connected with Brokeback Mountain, including me, hoped that, having been nominated for eight Academy awards, it would get Best Picture as it had at the funny, lively Independent Spirit awards the day before. (If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices.) We should have known conservative heffalump academy voters would have rather different ideas of what was stirring contemporary culture. Roughly 6,000 film industry voters, most in the Los Angeles area, many living cloistered lives behind wrought-iron gates or in deluxe rest-homes, out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city, decide which films are good. And rumour has it that Lions Gate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash - excuse me - Crash a few weeks before the ballot deadline. Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver.

After a good deal of standing around admiring dresses and sucking up champagne, people obeyed the stentorian countdown commands to get in their seats as "the show" was about to begin. There were orders to clap and the audience obediently clapped. From the first there was an atmosphere of insufferable self-importance emanating from "the show" which, as the audience was reminded several times, was televised and being watched by billions of people all over the world. Those lucky watchers could get up any time they wished and do something worthwhile, like go to the bathroom. As in everything related to public extravaganzas, a certain soda pop figured prominently. There were montages, artfully meshed clips of films of yesteryear, live acts by Famous Talent, smart-ass jokes by Jon Stewart who was witty and quick, too witty, too quick, too eastern perhaps for the somewhat dim LA crowd. Both beautiful and household-name movie stars announced various prizes. None of the acting awards came Brokeback's way, you betcha. The prize, as expected, went to Philip Seymour Hoff-man for his brilliant portrayal of Capote, but in the months preceding the awards thing, there has been little discussion of acting styles and various approaches to character development by this year's nominees. Hollywood loves mimicry, the conversion of a film actor into the spittin' image of a once-living celeb. But which takes more skill, acting a person who strolled the boulevard a few decades ago and who left behind tapes, film, photographs, voice recordings and friends with strong memories, or the construction of characters from imagination and a few cold words on the page? I don't know. The subject never comes up. Cheers to David Strathairn, Joaquin Phoenix and Hoffman, but what about actors who start in the dark?

Everyone thanked their dear old mums, scout troop leaders, kids and consorts. More commercials, more quick wit, more clapping, beads of sweat, Stewart maybe wondering what evil star had lighted his way to this labour. Despite the technical expertise and flawlessly sleek set evocative of 1930s musicals, despite Dolly Parton whooping it up and Itzhak Perlman blending all the theme music into a single performance (he represented "culchah"), there was a kind of provincial flavour to the proceedings reminiscent of a small-town talent-show night. Clapping wildly for bad stuff enhances this. There came an atrocious act from Hustle and Flow, Three 6 Mafia's violent rendition of "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp", a favourite with the audience who knew what it knew and liked. This was a big winner, a bushel of the magic gold-coated gelded godlings going to the rap group.

The hours sped by on wings of boiler plate. Brokeback's first award was to Argentinean Gustavo Santaolalla for the film's plangent and evocative score. Later came the expected award for screenplay adaptation to Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry, and only a short time later the director's award to Ang Lee. And that was it, three awards, putting it on equal footing with King Kong. When Jack Nicholson said best picture went to Crash, there was a gasp of shock, and then applause from many - the choice was a hit with the home team since the film is set in Los Angeles. It was a safe pick of "controversial film" for the heffalumps.

After three-and-a-half hours of butt-numbing sitting we stumbled away, down the magnificent staircases, and across the red carpet. In the distance men were shouting out limousine numbers, "406 . . . 27 . . . 921 . . . 62" and it seemed someone should yell "Bingo!" It was now dark, or as dark as it gets in the City of Angels. As we waited for our number to be called we could see the enormous lighted marquee across the street announcing that the "2006 Academy Award for Best Picture had gone to Crash". The red carpet now had taken on a different hue, a purple tinge.

The source of the colour was not far away. Down the street, spreading its baleful light everywhere, hung a gigantic, vertical, electric-blue neon sign spelling out S C I E N T O L O G Y.

"Seven oh six," bawled the limo announcer's voice. Bingo.

For those who call this little piece a Sour Grapes Rant, play it as it lays.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Ravi on March 15, 2006, 01:04:53 PM
I hope this is the beginning of people starting to not give a shit about awards ceremonies.

No, it's the continuation of people not giving a shit about gay cowboys.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

modage

wow, she is BITTER AS HELL.  now i'm really glad brokeback didn't win.  she seems like quite a bitch, obviously crash was middle of th road but that doesnt make brokeback a masterpiece by default. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

killafilm

New Rule: Stop saying "Brokeback Mountain" lost Best Picture because of a homosexual backlash. The only homosexual backlash in Hollywood involves an actual homosexual literally hitting you on the back with a lash. Besides, if "Brokeback Mountain" taught us anything, it's that there's nothing wrong with coming in number-two.

-Bill Maher

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Ravi on March 15, 2006, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on March 15, 2006, 02:27:13 AM

aw, poor dyke  :violin:

Quote from: killafilm on March 15, 2006, 11:58:51 PM
New Rule: Stop saying "Brokeback Mountain" lost Best Picture because of a homosexual backlash. The only homosexual backlash in Hollywood involves an actual homosexual literally hitting you on the back with a lash. Besides, if "Brokeback Mountain" taught us anything, it's that there's nothing wrong with coming in number-two.

-Bill Maher

hahahaha!!!

Quote from: Walrus on March 12, 2006, 11:41:53 PM
Quoteand i do have some beleife in th e18 yea rold and younger category...when i was that age..i had a very liberal outlook on life lik emost of you guys do...but as you/i get older that greenpeace/save the wolrd/liberal outlook is bullshit and i've go tbetter things do worry about..like who gives a fuck about gay marriage? how does that affect me personally? i dont care....who gives a fuck about abortion? i dont give a shit.....why shoudl we not drill in alaska? etc. etc. etc...........as you get older you realize you shoudl focos on betterign yourself, taking care of loved ones, enjoying your life, ...fuck all th eother bullshit that media hypes up....like that stpud speech clooney said about makinf film sthat embrace liberal issues...like what has those "hot-button" issu efilms done????....not a damn thing...people are people i.e. they are evil, rascist, bogots, liatrs, theifs, etc.., etc.....thses films are goign to do shit.........

First off, do you even read the Happy Birthday thread? It seems like everyone and their mother is 20 or 21.

Secondly, do you mean to come off so condescending, or are you just reminiscing and typing it out? "I remember when I was dumb." I think what you're saying is that eventually everyone will stop caring about anything but themselves, and I can't it isn't true, but I will say it's ridiculous.

Gay marriage doesn't affect YOU, but it affects gays that want to marry, yet the decision making power is in the hands of someone else. You aren't the target of anything, Neon. That's why you're allowed to live so oblivious and do some introspection. When people turn a blind eye, shit hits the fan. I'm not even speaking on a wide scope, I'm speaking on a realist one. If we say all blacks in all ghettos did crack and died, how many people would care? Just fewer people at the bottom of the food chain, right? You didn't even know them, so who cares? This type of thinking doesn't come off as monstrous to you?

There's so much at stake in life, however, there is so much at stake in our personal lives, too. Taking care of loved ones is important, but to treat anything that doesn't apply to you directly as useless is how fucked up things became today and how much worse they'll be tomorrow. But hey, our kids will pick up the loose ends, right? They'll pick up the trillion dollar debt. They're getting smarter, what with their internet and MTV, I'm sure they'll fix it up nice.

In closing, I still think you're a cool guy.

hmm, i think its just a different strokes for different folks kind of thing we got here..i am right, you are right..i am wrong ..you are wrong....but i can offer you my opinion...and everyones got one:

i really dont care about major issues that both liberals and republicans  pimp....i fall in bewtween....gay marriage  is something that i dont care about...in my personal  opinion i aint down w/ it....but i have no right to diss on someone who is...and i wont...thats what makes me so cool and liekable...i just dont agree w/ homosexuality...just like i would not agree w/someone who thinks david lynch sucks...its that simple...and for somenone to call me out and call me a homophobic fuck-headed conservative bitch is an idiot...we all have opinions...i disagree w/ conservative ideas to..like abortion...i think woman should be allowed to do what they want w/them fetuses....no government should control their right....but once again i can offer my opinion..i think its cool to abort as long as its not a means of birth control.....and do it early...like dont wait 8 months later and stick at coat hanger up their....i am for strick gun control, i am for the death penalty, ......sorry, just rambling...i just get the feeling that some of you guys think i masturbate to the o'reilly factor..i dont...
Quote from: Hedwig on March 13, 2006, 03:52:50 PM
Quote from: pyramid machine on March 12, 2006, 11:01:30 PM
1.) you can criticize something before you see it...um, we do it all the time here at xixax..ever read the grapevine thread?  you know after dem trailers are posted we always say some cute remark about how shitty or how awesome this film is going to be....sorry hed, i win this one

in this particular argument, i think it is intellectually dishonest for you to call Brokeback Mountain overrated if you haven't seen it.

2.)  its like pulling teeth here!!! crash is a film that deals with race relations...thats a major theme of this film...those other zillion films that you mentioned arent in the same category...thats like saying requiem for a dream and dazed an dconfused are linked together b/c they have kids doign drugs...compare crash[a race relations themed film] vs. other race relation themed films and you should see my point...if not, i still love ya anyway...

stop talking to yourself. you were the one who lumped Crash in with a bunch of other films that address race-relations.

3.)  and my remark about the "wrold doesnt move at 24fps." was somethign that i thought was just cool to say...jus ta way to end my post.....and i do have some beleife in th e18 yea rold and younger category...when i was that age..i had a very liberal outlook on life lik emost of you guys do...but as you/i get older that greenpeace/save the wolrd/liberal outlook is bullshit and i've go tbetter things do worry about..like who gives a fuck about gay marriage?  how does that affect me personally?  i dont care....who gives a fuck about abortion?  i dont give a shit.....why shoudl we not drill in alaska?  etc. etc. etc...........as you get older you realize you shoudl focos on betterign yourself, taking care of loved ones, enjoying your life, ...fuck all th eother bullshit that media hypes up....like that stpud speech clooney said about makinf film sthat embrace liberal issues...like what has those "hot-button" issu efilms done????....not a damn thing...people are people  i.e. they are evil, rascist, bogots, liatrs, theifs, etc.., etc.....thses films are goign to do shit..........

your ignorant selfish dismissal of all the important issues that don't directly affect you has nothing to do with anything.  and stop trying to give me advice.. "when you get older," oh thanks grandpa. your wisdom has truly moved me. i particularly admire the mature way you assign people to unrealistic little categories like "greenpeace/save the world/liberal." 'cause you know, it's true, people are nothing more than one-dimensional stereotypes. just ask haggis.

he's absolutely wrong..and aslo an ugly looking dumbass..

way to keep things relevant.  :yabbse-thumbup:

i wanna post in some other threads..i'll come back to you later :yabbse-grin:

MacGuffin

Ben Stein: Troops Were Snubbed at Oscars

Ben Stein says the people who were snubbed on Oscar night weren't the stars who were passed over for Academy Awards, but American troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The conservative humorist, writer and political pundit said movie stars and film industry professionals failed to highlight the sacrifices of soldiers during the awards ceremony on March 5.

"Not one prayer or moment of silence for those who have given their lives," Stein said, speaking Thursday at a Republican Party fundraising dinner.

He said the real stars aren't his Beverly Hills neighbors but the soldiers "wearing body armor in 130-degree heat, pulling 24-hour shifts" in the Sunni triangle, the dangerous area of armed insurgents in Iraq.

Stein, who starred in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and hosted a game show titled "Win Ben Stein's Money," noted that Hollywood executives have complained about falling box office revenue.

"Stop spitting in the face of Americans and maybe we will go to the movies," he said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks