The 78th Annual Academy Awards: Winners List on Page 7

Started by MacGuffin, January 05, 2006, 12:48:07 AM

Kal

- Crash is the most overrated movie in years. Paul Haggis too.
- Kong deserved a little more. I dont know if its the best picture of the year, but it was damn good. And Jackson deserved a nod too for making a beautiful film.
- Love Terrence Howard and Hustle & Flow getting so much attention.
- Funny how all the animated films are NOT from the 'new CGI Pixar-type era' (like Madagascar, Robots, etc.).
- Phill Hoffman is finally getting all the attention he deserved over the years.
- I'd trade Jake for Heath any day of the week.
- I hope, really hope, Spielberg and Munich gets it.

Derek237

I appreciate the attention for Capote, and of course Good Night and Good Luck. Leading with 8 noms, I think its pretty clear that brokeback will win BP *YAWN*. Anywho I have some predictions:

BP: Brokeback Mountain. The only other movie that could win would be Crash, even though i'm rooting for GNAGL.

Director: Ang Lee. He won the DGA for it, and doesn't that have like a 98% chance of accuracy when it comes to the Oscars? I actually don't know, I heard it somewhere. I'm still rooting for George Clooney, but honestly his chances aren't great. If Martin Scorsese was nominated for best director this year, clooney would be a shoe-in, but no such luck.

Actress: I'm gonna say Reese Witherspoon, just because I think it would be stupid if she won and Juaqin didn't, and an Oscar for one of the desperate housewives would cause too many catfights.

Actor: PHS. Though Pheonix just might win, so the Walk The Line DVD could have "Winner of 2 academy awards: Best Actor, Best Actress," or some such shit.

Sup. Actress: Rachel Weiz, I don't know why. She won the Globe. Havent seen the movie. But w/e

Sup. Actor: Matt Dillon. Matt Dillon. You knouw why? 'Cause Clooney was the fuckin' lead and the academy knows it!!

Original Screenplay: (BTW life_boy makes a good point. SYRIANA?????) Anyway, it will be Crash. No doubt in my mind. Haggis lost last year and the academy likes to make up for that kind of stuff.

Adapted Screenplay: Brokeback mountain. *YAWN*

Cinematography: The New World.

Editing: No idea, really. I'll just guess Munich, cause I was impressed with it.

Art direction: I dunno, King Kong. Who cares?

Costume Desgin: Geisha

Score: BBM

Song: Transamerica.

Makeup: Star Wars, cause I think they will want to honour the series with one last award. Or not. Probably Narnia.

Sound: King Kong.

Sound Editing: This is my first prediction ever. I made it when I went to see the movie on its first day, my birthday no less, and I was watching the part in the street with the first attack. I said to myself: This will win best sound editing, and they will show this clip when the clips are presented. So yeah. EDIT: Forgot to mention the fuckin' movie...yeah....War of the Worlds...

Visual Effects: King Kong.

Animated Feature: Corpse Bride. 1. because the creators of W&G already have Oscars, and 2. Lets just face it, this is the only way Burton will win an Oscar.. :(

Documentary: Even though March of the Penguins was the big audience favourite, um, the academy couldn't really give a shit (see Walk The Line's BP snub), so Murderball will win cause its all hardkore critically acclaimed.

the end

Redlum

Matt Dillon deserves the nomination but how is Crash doing this!? Anyways its not going to get a single award I'm not going to complain about it anymore just that if Syriana could have had Crash's noms instead then I would have been very happy.

Giamatti! The animation catergory!

They should not bother with the Best Song catergory and give the DP's, editors and other "less importants" some mic time.
2005 was a great year.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Derek237 on January 31, 2006, 10:09:25 AM
Sound Editing: This is my first prediction ever. I made it when I went to see the movie on its first day, my birthday no less, and I was watching the part in the street with the first attack. I said to myself: This will win best sound editing, and they will show this clip when the clips are presented. So yeah.

I'm guessing you mean War of the Worlds?

Quote from: kal on January 31, 2006, 10:00:45 AM
- Funny how all the animated films are NOT from the 'new CGI Pixar-type era' (like Madagascar, Robots, etc.).

Gives me hope that they're finally beyond the "Jimmy Neutron"-type nomination stage.

The Red Vine

I'm a little surprised by the nominations this year. I wasn't expecting Crash to be nominated for the major awards, or for Walk the Line and King Kong to be overlooked. I did like Crash better than yall did, but I'm really hoping Brokeback Mountain will win. At first I thought it would win for sure, but now I'm a little worried about Crash winning. It did good box office and got great critical acclaim (the two things the Academy loves). But it won't win....will it?
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Alexandro

I don't understand. I just don't get this Crash love. I don't hate it or anything but, really, what the fuck? Haggis takes this "important" subjects like euthanasia in Million Dollar Baby, and racism, and reduces them to plot devices to serve some corny easy self help answer on them. He has nothing to do in the best director category. Cronenberg, Howard and Jackson were far more deserving.

I'm happy for Munich, after all the silly criticisms it has received.

GoneSavage

There is a snippet in the current Entertainment Weekly explaining that the Academy felt that the Syriana script was different enough from the original work to categorize it in the Original Screenplay category.  It will probably hurt the chances for it. 

life_boy

Quote from: Alexandro on January 31, 2006, 11:19:08 AMHaggis takes this "important" subjects like euthanasia in Million Dollar Baby, and racism, and reduces them to plot devices to serve some corny easy self help answer on them.

Crash had a plot?

Quote from: GoneSavage on January 31, 2006, 12:05:47 PM
There is a snippet in the current Entertainment Weekly explaining that the Academy felt that the Syriana script was different enough from the original work to categorize it in the Original Screenplay category. It will probably hurt the chances for it.

Thanks gonesavage...I had missed that snippet.  It is dumb though, on the Academy's part.  Adaptation recieved an adapted screenplay nomination and many people seemed to think it should have been considered an Original Screenplay.  But, I guess the Academy has never been that big on remaining consistent.

SHAFTR

Crash...wow.
I'm embarassed.  This is up there with the Ghost nomination for Best Picture or Rocky winning.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

pete

Ang Lee got shafted when Crouching Tiger came out, so I hope he wins some this time.  I think he got best foreign films for Crouching Tiger and Best Director, though Ang Lee won the DGA award, went to Soderburgh and best picture went to fucking Gladiator.  Hey, if Crash won I wouldn't be that sad 'cause Gladiator was way worse a movie.  That was the year when I grew up and realized the Academy is a joke with a bunch of humorless old people.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sleepless

It's time to break the silence.

Good:
Clooney's multiple noms
Phil Hoffman's nom (you know he's gonna get it too)
Lots of love for Brokeback and GN&GL
Amy Adams, Francis McDormand and Michelle Williams
No computer-animated movies nominated - Ha Ha Ha!!!

Bad:
Only one nom for New World  :(
If Phil wins Heath won't
If it was any other year (i.e. no Huffman) then Reese would win outright
Batman Begins! WTF?!?!

Personally I feel that this is a really tight year, and I'm having trouble making predictions in the big catergories. Best supporting actor for example... that catergory is tighter than a duck's ass. Overall happy with the list. Although at the moment I think it's gonna come down to a spilt between Brokeback, Capote and GN&GL.

...or of course Brokeback could just sweep the whole fucking thing. :ponder:
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SHAFTR on January 31, 2006, 12:53:32 PM
Crash...wow.
I'm embarassed.  This is up there with the Ghost nomination for Best Picture or Rocky winning.

The funniest thing about it is that the internet buzz is that Munich is this year's "WTF?" crap nomination.  

Quote from: pete on January 31, 2006, 01:03:14 PM
Ang Lee got shafted when Crouching Tiger came out, so I hope he wins some this time. I think he got best foreign films for Crouching Tiger and Best Director, though Ang Lee won the DGA award, went to Soderburgh and best picture went to fucking Gladiator. Hey, if Crash won I wouldn't be that sad 'cause Gladiator was way worse a movie. That was the year when I grew up and realized the Academy is a joke with a bunch of humorless old people.

Ang Lee won the Foreign Oscar for Crouching Tiger, so Director had to go to Soderbergh (he was nominated twice in the category for God's sake) and the overrated Gladiator (the biggest moneymaker) won best picture.  Everybody goes home with something.  I had the same revelation that year that they distribute the awards somewhat evenly.  Which is why I'm not concerned that Crash will win Best Picture.  It's going to Brokeback... the Academy loves Ang Lee.  They also seem to love Clooney so his Syriana nod is a way to get him out of the way of giving Lee best director and... *gags*... Haggis best screenplay while still giving something to him.  And it's just sad that this is so predictable.  I remember when I used to think this award, or even the nomination, meant something.

JG

Jeff Daniels got robbed.   Crash does not surprise me.  Everyone loves the movie.  Munich is right where it should be in the best picture category.  awesome movie. 

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 31, 2006, 07:59:07 AM
ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY
BATMAN BEGINS
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA
THE NEW WORLD

This is the category I'm most interested in, two Mexicants got a nod, Lubezki for TNW and Prieto for BM, a morning radio show was already invalidating everybody and giving the accolades to Brokeback, so my question to the ppl who have seen both (pete, pozer, samsong?, cowboykurtis?, mod), is that so? I find hard to believe that BM would be way better than TNW in terms of cinematography.

MacGuffin

Quote from: life_boy on January 31, 2006, 09:21:11 AMAlso, how did Syriana become an original screenplay? 

A 'Syriana' surprise
AMPAS considers script an original
Source: Variety

Oscar has provided his own intrigue to the plot-twisty "Syriana": The screenplay has been classified as an original, rather than an adaptation -- and for nearly three weeks, nobody seems to have noticed.

Even though the Writers Guild, BAFTA and the USC Scripter Awards had nominated the film as an adapted screenplay, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences disagreed.

When ballots were mailed to Oscar voters Dec. 29, approximately 400 writers branch members received two advisories, listing the year's eligible films as either original or adaptations.

No one at WB was notified of the switch. And Stephen , the writer-director, never received his ballot in the mail. This week, he sent his assistant to pick up a replacement ballot.

Only a few days remain before Oscar nomination ballots are due at PricewaterhouseCoopers offices this Saturday at 5 p.m. For the past several weeks, Warner Bros. has taken out ads touting the film for consideration as an adaptation, and no one pointed out to them until Wednesday that they were pushing it in the "wrong" category.

Pricewaterhouse will not switch the categories: If someone has voted for the film in the adapted category, the accountants will not switch it over to original.

Gaghan on Wednesday said, "I wrote a lot of original stuff that wasn't in the book and I'm proud of that. And I'm proud that the Academy considers it original. But we optioned a book and I tried to honor Bob Baer. I used his life and I used his book, so I assumed -- everyone assumed -- it was an adaptation."

"You don't do work for awards; it's the gift of being able to make a movie. But it's a weird feeling. Nobody called me, nobody alerted me. I'm kind of heartbroken."

On screen, the credits for the pic say "based on the book 'See No Evil' by Robert Baer."

But an Academy committee felt that the script was different enough to qualify as an original. The writers branch exec committee meets before the end of the year to make such determinations.

In any given year, there are eight to 12 screenplays that change categories, but one Academy vet said the usual switch is from original to adaptation. Amy Heckerling's "Clueless," for example, was considered an original, but she admitted that she was inspired by Jane Austen's "Emma" and the Acad switched it to the adapted race.

Sometimes scripters and studio execs are surprised at the morphing, but the biggest surprise is how long the "Syriana" switch seems to have lain silent.

An Acad spokesman said execs at the org are very confident that voters consult the advisory lists before they vote. "That's why they're created and we know they are used."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks