a quiet place

Started by samsong, April 09, 2018, 10:43:06 PM

samsong

couldve sworn there was a thread for this... can't seem to find it now with the minimal effort i put into locating it. 

anyway, do not see this.  it's criminally, even malliciously  dumb, to the point where i wished movies didnt exist so this travesty couldnt be unleashed upon humanity.  to quote our dear reynolds woodcock, everyone involved with this movie should be spanked in public, hung, drawn and quartered. 

the worst movie of the year, and i saw tomb raider in theaters.  the thought that i could see something i hate more in the near future makes me want to commit seppukku.  im hard pressed to think of a movie i found more deplorable, ever.  it's like seeing wild wild west when it was released and having the crushing realization as a child that movies could suck.

©brad

Quote from: samsong on April 09, 2018, 10:43:06 PM
couldve sworn there was a thread for this... can't seem to find it now with the minimal effort i put into locating it. 

anyway, do not see this.  it's criminally, even malliciously  dumb, to the point where i wished movies didnt exist so this travesty couldnt be unleashed upon humanity.  to quote our dear reynolds woodcock, everyone involved with this movie should be spanked in public, hung, drawn and quartered. 

the worst movie of the year, and i saw tomb raider in theaters.  the thought that i could see something i hate more in the near future makes me want to commit seppukku.  im hard pressed to think of a movie i found more deplorable, ever.  it's like seeing wild wild west when it was released and having the crushing realization as a child that movies could suck.

Yeah but you hate everything. 

samsong

Tictacbk

I didn't hate this movie as much as you. In fact, I enjoyed seeing it in the theater. My audience was very engaged, and it was a good time. Sure it didn't make much sense, but I went in expecting that.

I am really glad you hated it so much though, because your review is amazing. Particularly this:

Quote from: samsong on April 09, 2018, 10:43:06 PM
it's like seeing wild wild west when it was released and having the crushing realization as a child that movies could suck.

:bravo:

samsong

came as no surprise to see michael bay listed as a producer when the credits finally rolled.  it at least provided some sort of an answer as to how something this stupid could exist.   i was reminded of the bit from ben affleck's commentary on armageddon where he talks about asking bay why it was easier to train drillers to be astronauts rather than the other way around, and bay telling him to

shut
the
fuck
up. 

COINCIDENCE?!?!?!

if you haven't seen/heard the clip i'm talking about, here:

it's the best thing affleck's ever done. 

fuck this movie.

Alethia

I'm with Samsong, this movie is FUCKING DUMB. Yet all this praise... Audience loved it too. Once again I find myself on the outside, scratching my head.

Alethia

tpfkabi

I'm not the biggest on Signs, but this feels like a condensed reboot of that movie to me. I'm really surprised this point did not come up in the same way people would say a movie like Life 2017 (the space movie) was like Alien, etc.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Jeremy Blackman

Yikes, don't really get the hate for this. Can you guys provide any details? Maybe I can be convinced.

Sure, I can think of 2 or 3 moments that didn't make sense, and I definitely got some echoes of Signs, but it's certainly not as braindead as you're suggesting. I thought it was an enjoyable thriller.

BB

Oh wow, y'all weren't kidding. Reasonably well made but almost unbelievably dumb.

Quote from: BB on October 23, 2018, 12:17:19 AM
Finally caught up with John Carpenter's Christine. How come nobody talks about it? Genuinely, a masterpiece. I've always liked Carpenter, but holy cow. Wringing a really fun, entertaining, and tense movie out of that premise should warrant an Academy Award. It's a lesson in what directing actually is.

This movie is the opposite. A dopey premise executed with half-cooked, straight-faced solemnity. Just doesn't inhabit the world of its characters at all. Nothing they do makes a lick of sense. The Academy Award consideration is beyond me.

Robyn

Not what I expected.

It took me a few minutes before realizing it wasn't a biography about Emily Dickinson.

2/5.

Freddie Dodd

One of the worst films of 2018. A total dumbfounded film with the most questionable character motivations I've seen in the last twenty years.