Jack Hill at my school

Started by Film Student, April 19, 2003, 06:20:35 PM

Film Student

Thursday night, my Drive-in movies (yes that's a real class) professor brought his friend Jack Hill to campus to speak about his career in filmmaking.

Hill, in case you didn't know, directed such exploitation classics as Switchblade Sisters, Coffy, Foxy Brown, Spider Baby, Swinging Cheerleaders, Big Doll House, Big Bird Cage, and Pit Stop (Ellen Burstyn's breakthrough film).  Also, QT frequently sites Hill as his favorite filmmaker and Switchblade Sisters as his favorite film.  Needless to say, I was very excited.  OU doesn't get very many filmmakers to speak, so I was pumped.  

Anyway, he screened Pit Stop for us and then conducted a lengthy Q&A.  He told a lot of funny stories about Roger Corman, Peter Bogdanovich and Francis Coppola (who stole the last third of Apocalypse Now from Hill's student film "the host").  He was very gracious even with the inevitable barrage of questions about his relationship with Tarantino.  

I asked him what he thought of the state of current cinema and he said that he felt like movies today were boring, like they're all clones of each other.   Anyway, it was cool.  He talked for a long time and I got to meet him afterwards, so I'm happy.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Gold Trumpet

He thought movies today were boring and clones of each other? Does he require the status and significance of his own movies in direct relation to others in his genre? What, is direct cloning a more redeeming thing to do than indirect?

~rougerum

yossarian

sorry mate...that hurt my head just reading that....maybe its late...what exactly are you trying to say?

Gold Trumpet

He's just relating back an interesting story he had in relation to movies that happened at his own school so he thought to post it here to tell everyone about it. I liked it, especially the fact about Apocalypse Now. But if you want his thesis question in posting this, then go fish and start asking 80% of all the other threads for there's.  You won't get it. Idle Chatter.

~rougerum

yossarian

...you misunderstand mr trumpet person...the bit that perplexed me was your reply to the jack hill post.it made no sense whatsoever. and your reply is almost as convoluted. don't know why i'm replying again...i'm not spoiling for a fight...honestly.....it just didn't make sense....just looking for a bit of clarity, thats all
.....no need to get all canadian on me....
go fish indeed!
happy easter by the way
....and can someone tell me how i can get a cool film still  to go along with my posts..... like everyone else seems to have
these emoticons are vile

Gold Trumpet

I could have misunderstood you, but if I did, you didn't make me understand how I did. My gut feeling says don't drink and post maybe?

~rougerum

Derek

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI could have misunderstood you, but if I did, you didn't make me understand how I did. My gut feeling says don't drink and post maybe?

~rougerum

So, I wanna know....like, how come you're so pretentious?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Ernie

That's cool, I really like Foxy Brown...always wanted to see some of his other movies, especially Switchblade Sisters. He seems like a great sort of campy director I think. I'm all for that stuff.

I didn't agree at all with his comment about modern movies though. If that's how he really feels, then he must not be trying hard enough to seek out the good stuff and the good filmmaker's of today. Either that, or he truly doesn't like the good stuff and the good filmmaker's of today...and that's cool with me...to each his own. I just think he sounded like sort of a dick making such a huge generalization (sp?) about ALL the films of today...after all the work and creativity that some young, new wave filmmakers (key word: some) such as the Andersons and David Gordon Green and QT, among others, have put into their films...that's just not cool. If I'm misinterpreting his comment then I'm sorry...just ignore me. It just seemed like he was attacking some stuff that he may be ignorant to.

Anyway, whatever...I like him for his work...I'll be putting some of his stuff on my Netflix soon enough.

Pubrick

way to almost ruin a good thread, fuckos.

u better hope butterscotch jones can salvage this mutha.

i'll do what i can.. Jack Hill is dope, and i'm not gonna go judge him on a second hand quote, even tho he's right. it's always been the case that with ONE original successful film there are a million clones, and life goes on. just as there are original films that aren't successful, and therefore not cloned/encouraged.

within/without, Jack Hill knows this.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

pretensious? Maybe. Overtly cocky? Definitely. I just see them as honest facts and smile about them considering how much people young seem to think they do know about movies. Everyone here is afraid to say they are film snobs or elitist when most really have qualities of such and keep denying. I am admitting and even if you say I am so prentensious in a bad way, I don't mind.

~rougerum

analogzombie

blah, blah, blah, blah

so back to Jack Hill....

I love his commentaries on Coffy and Foxy Brown. Especially how he feels honored to have been woring in the Blaxploitation genre. He takes real pride in his movies, even if they are usually panned as cheap genre flicks. To me people like Jack Hill, Roger Corman, Seijun Suzuki etc...: directors who work within a controlling studio system with very small budgets, who seem to overcome these obstacles to create (sometimes out of nothing) a movie that has all the depth and value of a Schindler's List or 2001, to me those guys are amazing. And one of the cooolest things about Jack Hill is he didn't used to place a title card of "A jack Hill" film on his movies.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

w/o horse

At the Egyptian:

Friday, September 21 – 7:30 PM

Jack Hill In-Person & DVD Release Celebration – Double Feature:

Rare! Archival Print! SPIDER BABY, 1968, 81 min. Writer/director Jack Hill's endearingly odd, unique, scary and funny low budget masterpiece only gets better with each repeated viewing. Lon Chaney, Jr. is Bruno, a lovable old chauffeur who is saddled with looking after the disturbed young progeny of his late employer in a dilapidated Southern California mansion. Cousins Carol Ohmart (HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL) and Quinn Redeker, along with Redeker's girlfriend Mary Mitchell (DEMENTIA 13) arrive with family attorney Shlocker (Karl Schanzer) on a visit to the macabre household. That they don't know what to make of their strange teenage relatives (Jill Banner, Beverly Washburn, Sid Haig of THE DEVIL'S REJECTS) is putting it mildly. All of them seem to be refugees from a Charles Addams cartoon! What no one except Bruno knows is that the family suffers from a hereditary disease causing gradual retardation, eventually regressing to cannibalism. Director Hill expertly balances the scares with laughs in this one-of-a-kind classic. Compares favorably to James Whale's OLD DARK HOUSE and is everything the big budget ADDAM'S FAMILY movies should have been but were not.

Rare! Archival Print! PIT STOP, 1969, 92 min. This unsung masterpiece from writer/director Jack Hill is very possibly the greatest film ever made about drag racing. It delivers on all fronts, providing chills and spills in some of the most demented, dangerous race track footage ever shot (keep your eyes peeled for the nocturnal, out-of-control 'Figure 8' sequences that have to be seen to be believed). Richard Davalos (James Dean's brother Aaron in EAST OF EDEN) is the brooding, alienated lone wolf driver taken under the wing of hardboiled racing promoter, Brian Donlevy (in his last role). Davalos decides to grab first place and topple manic motormouth (and homicidal) king of the track Sid Haig, as well as steal Haig's main squeeze Beverly Washburn. Ellen Burstyn (ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE) is exceptional in one of her earliest roles as a lonely driver's wife whom Davalos also seduces. And keep yours ears open for the blistering, fuzz-drenched, way-ahead-of-its-time rock score by legendary John Fridge and The Daily Flash. Discussion in between films with director Jack Hill, actors Sid Haig, Beverly Washburn, Quinn Redeker, Karl Schanzer and cinematographer Al Taylor. A limited number of copies of the new SPIDER BABY DVD release will be given away at the screening!
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.