ULTIMATE FILM FANATIC ON IFC BEGINNING JULY 9th 10:30pm E/P

Started by FeloniousFunk, July 03, 2004, 07:36:13 PM

modage

haha, i should've known the dude who covets the 'criterion' would be from XIXAX!  where else on earth does anyone care about that stuff?!?  haha, thats great.  sorry if i was harsh, but like i said, i didnt have any good items either except for a few signed dvds so had i gotten to round 3 i would've been crushed as well.  i definitely think being older in most cases = more knowlege, more stuff so us 22 year olds hardly stood a chance.  (just give me 10 years and see what i know then!) i do give you credit for not having intense stage fright (like someone i know).  sorry but i forget, were you FOR or AGAINST paxton?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Quote from: themodernage02haha, i should've known the dude who covets the 'criterion' would be from XIXAX!  where else on earth does anyone care about that stuff?!?  haha, thats great.  sorry if i was harsh, but like i said, i didnt have any good items either except for a few signed dvds so had i gotten to round 3 i would've been crushed as well.  i definitely think being older in most cases = more knowlege, more stuff so us 22 year olds hardly stood a chance.  (just give me 10 years and see what i know then!) i do give you credit for not having intense stage fright (like someone i know).  sorry but i forget, were you FOR or AGAINST paxton?

I was totally against Paxton, though I did embellish in my hatred, because I thought Frailty was a badass movie. I wasn't gonna say that of course, I didn't want to give the other debator anything.

And Mac, I didn't say that, but that's ok. I guess it was a big deal to me to buy an expensive set, we can't all buy three or four every week.
WWPTAD?

modage

yeah they had our dudes embellish too cause the one didnt really LOVE kevin smith and the other didnt really HATE him.  one guy just said he was overrated and the other had to defend.  but seriously though, bill paxton rules.  even if ONLY for playing Hudson from ALiens one of the greatest films ever.  maybe you just have to hear him introducing the Twister ride in Universal Studios Orlando, talking about tornadoes being like 'some kind of demon spirits...'
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

hah thanks P, but as LL Cool J once said, don't call it a comeback. I got school starting up soon, so time go bye bye. I'll try to stop in once in a while.
WWPTAD?

modage

i knew all the questions to last nights episode except the last two which were incredibly hard!  (who wrote the novel 'presumed innocent'?!? jeezus.)  i thought all the items were equally as good and cant believe the guy who seemed the most nervous actually won the show.  the other guy probably thought they had it all locked up!

El Duderino

i thought that russ was gonna win the debate, even though i disagreed with him.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Henry Hill

i can't believe ryan asked if he could restart the clock on the debate.  :roll:

El Duderino

yeah, that was funny. i felt really sorry for him, but really....what can he say to convert people to thinking michael bay is a good director
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02i knew all the questions to last nights episode except the last two which were incredibly hard! (who wrote the novel 'presumed innocent'?!? jeezus.)

I read the novel, so I got that one correct.

Quote from: themodernage02i thought all the items were equally as good and cant believe the guy who seemed the most nervous actually won the show.  the other guy probably thought they had it all locked up!

HaHa. I don't think Ryan should have won the debate to get him to the third round (he was so nervous, he kept tripping over his thoughts), but he did have the better items to be a fanatic.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

It was like the Geritol episode this week.

Terrible, terrible debates. On the Coen Bros., they both seemed like they were just saying the same thing, with no one for or against. With "Lolita," they felt like they were just listing what they liked/disliked about it.

And I just learned that that Hitchcock book that I also own was rare.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yeah this was the worst episode ever.  the kid who won was pretty weak.  he knew that Mr. Pink, Orange etc. was from Reservoir Dogs, had 2 awful debates and a semi-rare book and a bunch of ticket stubs, PLEASE!  if THATS all it takes in the mountain region than crown me the champ.  the problem with the show in matching up by test scores is the last two people to go who got all the way through (almost) their catagory of animated films were the two who seemed MOST fanatic and most deserving of the final round, unfortunately since they both had to face off only one could go on.  and he had no public speaking skills so he didnt win the debate!  oh well, whatever.  knew all questions but blanked on watership down.

modage

final episode last night was pretty bizarre.  i cant believe how easy the first round was compared to 'sudden death questions'.  i play that game whenever i get tired of 6 degrees.  someone names an actor and you go back and forth naming their films until someone runs out, if the other person can still name 1 more he wins, if not its a draw.  anyways, i cant believe  bill who beat me lost on HOUSESITTER!  its not even a good steve martin movie!  the peter fonda finale was also very strange, and i actually agreed with the other guys point and think that he should've won.  its one thing to just be fanatical about something, but its another thing when you're trying to work in the 'industry' i think.  you dont have to play sports to be a sports nut.  you shouldnt have to want to make movies to be the ultimate movie nerd.  so i think the other guy should've won, but thats just me.

The Perineum Falcon

I really liked that determined, I'm-all-business-now swagger (Mark?) the Dreyfus-clone had when he was going to lunch.
He also really made me nervous for some reason.

So, who's trying out for next season?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

mod-age, if you had won, what would you have shown on IFC for the day?

Skeleton FilmWorks