Tusk

Started by MacGuffin, July 25, 2014, 11:25:10 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Reelist on January 25, 2016, 06:38:20 PMWell, I will give him credit for casting 15 year old girls who are actually 15, not 25.

Right. Having a character call his 15-year-old daughter "sexy" was a nice touch.

Reel

Quote from: Reelist on January 25, 2016, 06:38:20 PMWell, I will give him credit for casting 15 year old girls who are actually 15, not 25.

That's not to say they'll be any good, as that clip plainly shows, but there's been such a tiresome trend of casting 20 somethings as teens so they can conveniently sexualize them. I'm hoping Smith doesn't do any creeper shots of their bodies, that'd be soooooo weird!! Them having filthy mouths seems par for the course though. I won't be able to believe a single word they say, but it should turn out to be an interesting experiment

Jeremy Blackman

I do agree with you emphatically on principle. It's just that, if they're actually going to this party, it could get weird. Feels a bit worse with Depp's daughter, who looks more 15 and significantly less comfortable. I don't know, I guess I'm making assumptions; for all I know, Kevin and Johnny have already brought them to drug-fueled Hollywood orgies.

Reel

Well, we still don't know how this story turns out. They could go to this party and realize the guys are total jerkoffs and then watch them get killed ( if you didn't know there's supposed to be some crazy monster ). Doesn't that seem like the more feasible route it would take, going for girl empowerment instead of pure exploitation? Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. It does look bad

Jeremy Blackman

Again I actually think (or hope?) you're right. But if that clip is supposed to be representative of the movie, it's just so dull and humorless and has absolutely no indication of expectations being subverted. (I guess it doesn't matter, and I shouldn't complain, because there's no way I'll be seeing this.)

Reel

I don't blame you, he really stinks. I used to like his podcast, but I just can't tolerate all the self congratulatory laughter. It actually hurts my head to hear him do that fat boy chuckle for such extended periods of time. If he has a heart attack on the show one day, it'd be the best death ever.

I do have to shamefully admit that I'm addicted to the Fan-geeks Chodeshow also known as "comic book men"

Jeremy Blackman

Review from The Verge just published today. It is not a positive review.

jenkins

i would't even call it a review.

Something Spanish

I would argue that stoner Kevin is still preferable to Jersey Girl Kevin.

tpfkabi

I think I found out about this because people at work were talking about it once it hit Redbox. I have never really been a fan of his films, the few that I've seen. I do watch Comic Book Men. Anywho, I had no expectation for Tusk and was pleasantly surprised. It felt like a TV horror show episode (think Monsters or Tales From the Darkside) expanded to a movie and directed by Tarantino.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Jeremy Blackman

The reviews for Yoga Hosers are scathing. From RT:

Critics Consensus: Undisciplined, unfunny, and bereft of evident purpose, Yoga Hosers represents a particularly grating low point in Kevin Smith's once-promising career.

25%