AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS CHRISTOPHER NOLAN IS A GENIUS?

Started by Xeditor, January 18, 2003, 12:34:03 PM

Duck Sauce

I think that calling him a sell out is unfair. Isnt it possible that Nolan really believed in this movie? Maybe he had always wanted to remake it. I just think its unfair for for you to label him as a complete sell out for making a remake. So, is Soderbergh a sell out for making Solaris? And about Spartacus, didn't it have an original director who was fired and Douglas asked Kubrick to come in and do it? Is doing a favor selling out?

Gold Trumpet

Nolan's choice to direct Insomnia was in no ways him selling out at all because the major success that Memento was proved that he could make any movie he wanted to. It's just that Insomnia was his decision, if a good one or not.

It's hard to determine selling out in movies. The basic reason a lot of movies have been made on terms not agreeable to a director have been for financial reasons that are good ones, the forwarding of projects that they want to make. Spartacus was a financial decision and proved successful because every film Kubrick ever made was officially given director's cut to him. And then there are directors who just make more commercial movies and are fine with it because it is their thing. Michael Bay obviously belongs to this where he is out to make films for entertainment reasons only or mainly. That's fine, so its hard to say if someone is selling out when you really would have to go into their head and ask them what drives their motives in making movies, what they want to show or do, or just the money?

~rougerum

Bud_Clay

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI doubt Kubrick had the intention of prostituting himself. Spartacus was just a mistake, and he had too much faith in Kirk Douglas, and was tied down for that movie.

yeah, he very well could have been just too optimistic about the opportunity...i'm sure, but in the end that's the way it worked out....after doing Sparticus "he was able to do a film he had a crush on"..by moving to England....damn good.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: RegularKarateWell, I liked neither Gladiator nor BHD, but I really think Ridley Scott LIKES those films.  I don't think he's really trying to make patriotic fare to attract american attention, I think he just likes that shit.

Do you not find that mind boggling?...the man who once did BLADE RUNNER & ALIEN?!...those are some of the best films ever made!...i can't imagine what has possessed Ridley Scotts body.

Quote from: RegularKarate
I get at what you mean by "prostituting yourself", but it's a little harsh.  Seriously, where do you work?  By your terms, you're prostituting yourself for them.
I work at a local independent theater...it's just for money though man, i have no actual care beyond that...if i had the money ridley or nolan must have by now i'd be in another country making films.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: Duck SauceI think that calling him a sell out is unfair. Isnt it possible that Nolan really believed in this movie? Maybe he had always wanted to remake it. I just think its unfair for for you to label him as a complete sell out for making a remake. So, is Soderbergh a sell out for making Solaris? And about Spartacus, didn't it have an original director who was fired and Douglas asked Kubrick to come in and do it? Is doing a favor selling out?
I'd have even less respect for Nolan if he truly wanted to remake "insomnia"....i think it's desrespectful to the original....can you imagine someone trying to repaint the mona lisa?...lets give her some nikes and a few suburban homes in the background so the females of today can connect with her...it's pointless and disrespectful..no matter what the film.....I don't have a problem with Soderberg making Solaris, though...Solaris is a book and it did not originate as a film.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Bill Maplewood
I'd have even less respect for Nolan if he truly wanted to remake "insomnia"....i think it's desrespectful to the original....can you imagine someone trying to repaint the mona lisa?...lets give her some nikes and a few suburban homes in the background so the females of today can connect with her...it's pointless and disrespectful..no matter what the film.....I don't have a problem with Soderberg making Solaris, though...Solaris is a book and it did not originate as a film.

So that makes him disrespectful, not a sell out. The original Insomnia was less than a masterpiece, maybe Nolan felt he could do better. Your analogies are out of line.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: Duck SauceSo that makes him disrespectful, not a sell out. The original Insomnia was less than a masterpiece, maybe Nolan felt he could do better. Your analogies are out of line.

Well i guess he's a disrespectful sell out then, isnt he....i thought the original insomnia was pretty fucking amazing...maybe not a masterpiece, but a film earning the title "masterpiece" is saying quite a lot...nevertheless, it did not call for a remake...and if Nolan felt it did he could have atleast added a bit more originality to it than he did......Rather than "adding on" he "took out"...the Nolan version was more of a watered down version of the film-having taken out the scene where a dog in a alley is shot as well as the scene when Stellan SkarsgÄrd feels up the school girl. i cant help but feel the Nolan version was served on a platter for a conservative, illiterate, star-seeking audience.

my analogies are out of line? please explain how they are "out of line".

Duck Sauce

Because you are comparing the original Insomnia to the Mona Lisa. What about Nolan's Insomnia is proportional to adding Nikes and suburban homes in the background of arguably the most famous painting in the world? Nolan may have felt he added to it, that is subjective to the viewer. I agree the original Insomnia was much better, but Nolan must have thought he could/wanted to make the film better or different. Also, he was trying to bring an interesting story to a audience that would otherwise never see it. Just because you think you are better than the general public who watch movies does not mean they should be forced to see the original Insomnia.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: Duck SauceBecause you are comparing the original Insomnia to the Mona Lisa. What about Nolan's Insomnia is proportional to adding Nikes and suburban homes in the background of arguably the most famous painting in the world?

I'm not comparing insomnia to the mona lisa...i'm comparing the idea of remaking a film to the idea of remaking a painting...i think it's the same thing, and the idea was that it would help people to understand how rediculous it is to do such a thing.

Quote from: Duck SauceNolan may have felt he added to it, that is subjective to the viewer. I agree the original Insomnia was much better, but Nolan must have thought he could/wanted to make the film better or different. Also, he was trying to bring an interesting story to a audience that would otherwise never see it. Just because you think you are better than the general public who watch movies does not mean they should be forced to see the original Insomnia.

I don't think i'm "better" than anyone...i do, however, think i'm more open minded than the audience Nolan's version of "insomnia" was trying to not offend...i don't particularly care for such people that carry the attitude "if i wanted to read subtitles i'd read a book instead"....i think there's a sickening lazyness and arrogance that such an audience carries & i think it's there responsibility to get around that rather than Hollywood spending millions of dollars for them to not have to read subtitles.

Duck Sauce

I'm not comparing insomnia to the mona lisa...i'm comparing the idea of remaking a film to the idea of remaking a painting...i think it's the same thing, and the idea was that it would help people to understand how rediculous it is to do such a thing.

But a painting is a sole image not accompanied by sound or dialouge. It can be viewed by all who have eyes and are not blind, a movie is different, foreign films like Insomnia would have never been seen by most Americans had it not been remade. I am with you on how it shouldnt had been remade, but some people like it. If you want to continue this, PM me so we dont ruin this board.

RegularKarate

Do you not find that mind boggling?...the man who once did BLADE RUNNER & ALIEN?!...those are some of the best films ever made!...i can't imagine what has possessed Ridley Scotts body.

Why does everyone think that Scott is all of a sudden a great director gone bad?  

You want to know what I caught part of last night?  Legend.

Xixax

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Bud_Clay

Quote from: RegularKarateWhy does everyone think that Scott is all of a sudden a great director gone bad?  

You want to know what I caught part of last night?  Legend.

i've only seen like the first 30 minutes of LEGEND, but i found it to be quite intriguing from what i saw...besides that i think BLADE RUNNER is one of the best sci-fi films of all time.. no doubt

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Bill Maplewoodbesides that i think BLADE RUNNER is one of the best sci-fi films of all time.. no doubt

I don't know... I have mixed feelings about Blade Runner. He did essentially have to sell out and add the noir-ish voiceover and the tacky ending, but yeah, visually a very nice movie.

RegularKarate

i've only seen like the first 30 minutes of LEGEND, but i found it to be quite intriguing from what i saw...

Congrats on making it that far... no doubt it was the fruity medieval dialogue and unicorns that whett your appetite for more.