Harmony Korine

Started by Rudie Obias, February 02, 2003, 08:54:10 PM

Pubrick

haha, did filmboy just say "trippy"? haha, oh lordy...

ebeaman, no one is asking u to leave.. and i think ur initial defense of Gummo was pretty good.. until u started on the hilariously irrelevant rant against alexander payne. that didn't help ur argument at all. i love what u said about embracing the artifice of film, i think that's really positive and a great thing to do. and i can totally see that u've grown in maturity and film appreciation since u first appeared on the xaxscene.

u would hav a great defense if u didn't go into that random rant. and i like how u minimised ur use of swearing to express urself. also u never said "trippy", that's a big big big big big plus.
under the paving stones.

godardian

I should point out that I completely agree with ebeaman about Harmony Korine being a very valuable filmmaker. I just don't think that cancels out anything Payne has done; in my mind, Alexander Payne and Harmony Korine have very little to do with one another, and I would go see anything either of them released.

I should remember being a 17-year-old, too, though... how each new revelation or discovery for yourself feels like the beginning and end of everything all at once, and it almost demands a target for comparison, "THIS means everything, this is the right way, while this OTHER is nothing!", etc. It's just a reckless, schizophrenic time, before you get your big frame of reference. But I do appreciate that you're in there developing that frame of reference, ebeaman. I had certainly never seen anything by Harmony Korine when I was 17. Actually, when I was 17, Harmony Korine was still completely unknown... The most "edgy" thing I saw when I was 17 was A Clockwork Orange.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pedro

how much are the royalties for the use of "xaxscene"?

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardianI find Another Day in Paradise got underrated and unfairly ignored, probably because it wasn't sensationalistic enough.

What?! The gratuitous sex, extreme bloody violence, and haphazard heroine use weren't enough? Not that I mind seeing Natasha Gregson Wagner naked (I certainly don't), but this movie was one big excuse to ride the "trying to hip by pushing the R rating" wave of mid-90's movies.

If this is any indication of Clark's talent, then he has none.

I've yet to see any Korine.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: ebeamanI was talking about how I prefer the portrayal of people as how they are rather than the portrayal of people as overly quirky or eccentric and Payne happened to be the first person that came to my mind in an example of the latter style done wrong in my opinion. That makes at least a little bit relevant, right? I wanted to give an example of the quirkiness done wrong to clarify what I was saying. Just like I gave an example of quirkiness done right (the coen bros, wes anderson).
if you like people portrayed how they are, and all you're interested in is movies that capture some sort of truth, why are coen bros. and wes anderson the exception?  did you ever consider that no matter how much you love people, that maybe paynes and jonzes films are revealing truths about them (whether you want to hear it or not?)  is there a problem with making something entertaining to show people something about themselves (especially if it's something they'd rather not hear)?  personally i thought gummo was a crap film when i saw it five years ago or so to see what the fuss was about, and i wasnt too impressed with DGG either.  i thought his films were ambitious but amateur, naive and not all that interesting.  if he's a major talent, he has a long way to go to prove it.  how are david fincher and christopher nolan ruining movies?  what makes tim burton an artist and michael bay a hack?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Henry Hill

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: filmboy70not to get off subject, but did anyone see BULLY? that movie was pretty trippy.

I thought it was a bad movie, and Clark's worst movie by far. I find Another Day in Paradise got underrated and unfairly ignored, probably because it wasn't sensationalistic enough. That's all Bully was, wasn't it? Cheap sensationalism with terrible acting and shockingly haphazard, bland visuals for Clark, who has been known to display a great sense of framing and composition when he feels like it.

I didn't say it was good.

Quote from: Phaha, did filmboy just say "trippy"? haha, oh lordy...

did you just say oh lordy?

Pubrick

yes.

but i didn't use it to describe a movie. or in any serious manner whatsoever.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Julien Donkey Boy is the perfect movie to put on mute while your polishing off a few and listening to the college radio station all the while editing something.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

I go to that site all the time just for the sheer weirdness. It's a great site.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

where's the news section?
under the paving stones.

Alethia

finally some news.  this is excellent.

Pubrick

hah, the interview seems to hav derailed after that kenneth cappello made his passerby cameo. i'm imagining this dude just popping his head in frame in an otherwise two-person interview.

i don't know why, if it's just cos (ancient member) dee_nicki had korine as his avatar, i get the impression not many ppl like him around here. or maybe cos his films can't be talked about without falling asleep. but i always felt gummo at least was a profound visceral experience which marked the presence of a freakishly unique voice. see i'm yawning already.

that david blaine story is hilarious.
under the paving stones.

Alethia

there does seem to be a general disregard for his movies around here, which saddens me to no end.  i adore his films, personally.  i'd see any old fuckin thing he puts out.

mogwai

Stefen

Has anyone seen that fight video he did? sounds so crazy it could work.