Katharine Hepburn R.I.P.

Started by MacGuffin, June 29, 2003, 05:51:51 PM

MacGuffin

Legendary actress Katharine Hepburn dies

(CNN) -- Screen and stage legend Katharine Hepburn has died, according to Old Saybrook, Connecticut police. She was 96.

Hepburn's film career spanned seven decades, and she was perhaps the most decorated actor, male or female, in the industry. She won more Academy Awards for lead roles (four) than anyone -- and her 12 nominations in the best actress category also was a record.

In her work, she transformed herself from the key actress of a generation into thespian royalty, an uncontested icon of live theater and cinematic art. In private life, her 25-year love affair with actor Spencer Tracy is the stuff of Hollywood legend, and so are her bouts with Hollywood itself.

But her performances in some of the century's top films are what stand out as enduring evidence of her power and gifts. The American Film Institute ranked Hepburn the top female star in its "50 Greatest Movie Legends," one of a handful of AFI picks that ruffled few feathers.

"I'm a personality as well as an actress," Hepburn once said. "Show me an actress who isn't a personality, and you'll show me a woman who isn't a star."

:yabbse-cry:  :yabbse-cry:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

BonBon85

R.I.P.

Roman Holiday's going to be on AMC tonight - now I really must watch it.

SHAFTR

Quote from: BonBon85R.I.P.

Roman Holiday's going to be on AMC tonight - now I really must watch it.

why? because Audrey Hepburn is in it?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

BonBon85

Name link. If GT's allowed to write about "Finnegus" in Gregory Peck's RIP thread I can write about Roman Holiday.

MacGuffin

I say, whatever gets you to watch "Roman Holiday" is reason enough. That's a great movie. Enjoy, Bon.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yeah watch that for Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn, and then watch The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby for Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart.   :-D

PS. Vader strikes again!  this is reaching epidemic proportions. :shock:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Blah, I avvoided the Gregory Peck thread for reasons.

Yes, I saw the movie and even read the book. Just a fucking name............Atticus Atticus Atticus Atticus.

~rougerum

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls