Summer gigs

Started by Jack Sparrow, May 12, 2003, 11:56:53 AM

El Duderino

Quote from: mogwaidid anyone here attend the coachella festival?

yes, it was amazing
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

mogwai

sure it was... who did you see?

meatwad

Quote from: El Duderino

yes, it was amazing

were you there both days? Did you see the Cure? Or Flaming Lips?

godardian

I'm seriously considering hitting Lollapalooza for Morrissey, Sonic Youth, and PJ Harvey. I hate: Heat. Crowds. Being outdoors. So, I'm bound to have a swell time!  :?

It's not summer yet, but I'm going to see Belle and Sebastian tomorrow night. :)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

El Duderino

Quote from: meatwad
Quote from: El Duderino

yes, it was amazing

were you there both days? Did you see the Cure? Or Flaming Lips?

i dunno if you were trying to trap me into saying one of those bands because they both played on the 2nd day, but i was only there the first day. i saw: Radiohead and the pixies among others. it was fantastic

meatwad

i live in new york, and have no clue about the lineup of coachella. All i know is that the cure was playing, and i was wondering how they were. no trapping dude

SHAFTR

Hope to see Prince live in Milwaukee.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

bigperm

If this goes down, it will be great.  Austin City Limits festival. . .

The unofficial ACL lineup:
> Modest Mouse
> Calexico
> The Pixies
> Sonic Youth
> Bright Eyes
> Spoon
> The Strokes
> Wilco
> The Flaming Lips
> My Morning Jacket
> Interpol
> American Analog Set
> Beta Band
> Howie Day
> Endochine
> Sheryl Crow
> John Mayer
> Los Lonely Boys
> Jack Johnson
> Ben Harper
> Dashboard Confessional
Safe As Milk

El Duderino

Quote from: meatwadi live in new york, and have no clue about the lineup of coachella. All i know is that the cure was playing, and i was wondering how they were. no trapping dude

oh yeah, i didn't see them, but i heard they were awesome, but i saw the flaming lips way back when at a chili peppers concert, they were good.

MacGuffin

Roger Waters to play southern California festival

Former Pink Floyd mastermind Roger Waters will bring the curtain down on the annual Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in southern California on April 27, organizers said on Monday,

The other headliners during the three-day event in the desert town of Indio, 130 miles east of Los Angeles, are singer/songwriter Jack Johnson on Friday, April 25, and reunited British electronica combo Portishead on Saturday April 26. Waters will perform his band's opus "Dark Side of the Moon" in its entirety.

Friday's lineup also includes such acts as The Verve, Raconteurs, The Breeders, Fatboy Slim, Tegan and Sara, and Madness.

Saturday's offerings will also feature Kraftwerk, Death Cab for Cutie, Cafe Tacuba, Sasha & Digweed, Rilo Kiley, Dwight Yoakam.

Preceding Waters on Sunday will be the likes of Love & Rockets, My Morning Jacket, and Spiritualized.

Tickets go on sale Friday, priced at $269 for all three days, or $90 for a single day. Service fees apply.

Coachella, now in its ninth year, has become one of the premier festivals in the United States, where such events are not as common as they are in Europe.

Coachella promoter Goldenvoice said it would launch a three-day festival near New York City on August 8-10 at Liberty State Park in New Jersey. The lineup for the All Points West Music & Arts Festival will be announced in the coming weeks.

---------------------------------------------

Coachella 2008 line-up announced

The indie-rock kids of Coachella are in store for a classic-rock moment this April: Roger Waters of Pink Floyd will re-create the band's trippy 1973 masterpiece "Dark Side of the Moon" on the festival's main stage, which also will feature the Raconteurs, the Verve, Jack Johnson, Kraftwerk and a reunion of Portishead.

The ninth edition of the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival will take over the Empire Polo Field outside the dusty town of Indio from April 25 through 27. The 125-act lineup was announced Monday afternoon at a press conference in Mexico City with Death Cab for Cutie, My Morning Jacket, Love and Rockets, and Justice among the names on the bill along with M.I.A., the Breeders, Rilo Kiley, Sasha & Digweed, Café Tacuba and Fatboy Slim. Tickets will go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday.

The festival has become a touchstone event in California and fan speculation has pinged across the Internet for months, along with a flurry of hoax lineups and posters; one apparently was convincing enough to fool the staff at (KYSR-FM) 98.7, which on Monday breathlessly reported that Radiohead and Muse would top the bill. Prince, David Bowie, the Smiths and No Doubt were the most commonly rumored Coachella acts; the booking of Waters, however, was a left-field choice and a generational mystery to many young loyalists of the Coachella brand.

One comment posted by a reader at www.latimes.com was a clear indication that the 63-year-old Waters is on the other side of the wall when it comes to today's generation of fans: "Is Roger Waters the one with the pig or was that Peter Frampton?"Promoter Paul Tollett, the architect of the show, has shown a puckish streak in the past with genre-surprises, such as booking Madonna for an elaborate dance-tent set or having Willie Nelson serenade fans waiting for Rage Against the Machine.

This year, however, the top of the lineup is already being criticized by many in the cruel ether of the Internet. Some of that criticism is because Coachella is competing against its own stellar history of magic moments (such as the Pixies or Rage reunions) as well as an increasing number of regional festivals fishing from the same talent pool.

Tollett, a partner in the show with the concert promotion company AEG Live, pointed out Monday that there's always debate about the top of the bill, but for the focused music fan, this year's Coachella looks to be one of the strongest for up-and-coming acts and the middle tier of the bill. He declined to cite some of his favorites: "You just get in trouble with managers when you do that because you can't mention every one."

The press conference Monday was staged in Mexico as an acknowledgment of the country's strong fan, artist and press support for Coachella, which was staged for the first time in 1999. This year Austin and Porter TV will be among the Mexican acts playing the festival.

–Geoff Boucher

Here's a partial roster:

Roger Waters
The Verve
Portishead
The Raconteurs
My Morning Jacket
Rilo Kiley
Jack Johnson
Death Cab for Cutie
Kraftwerk
Justice
M.I.A.
Love & Rockets
The Breeders
Sasha & Digweed
Cafe Tacuba
Fatboy Slim

More to come ...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

The band to go to Coachella for is Scotland's Sons & Daughters. Their new album, This Gift, is not out yet (release date Feb. 5), but I've heard it, and it's spectacularly good. It's produced by ex-Suede guitarist Bernard Butler (he also produced the Libertines' "Don't Look Back Into the Sun" single), and he evidently inspired them to take their heretofore promising sound into the stratosphere. I'd much rather see them than Roger Waters or The Verve. And in fact, even though there's no way I could make it to Coachella, I do hope to eke time out of my craaaaaaazy schedule to see them here in Seattle on Apr. 3.

Sons & Daughters!!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Kanye West, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Nine Inch Nails, Wilco Top Lollapalooza 2008 Lineup
Bill for August fest also includes the Raconteurs, Gnarls Barkley, Black Keys, Grizzly Bear and Kid Sister.
Source: MTV

The organizers of Lollapalooza have stacked the deck this year with a slate of headliners that is one of the strongest since the former touring fest put down roots in Chicago in 2005. In addition to hometown legends Wilco and Kanye West, the main stages will be headlined by Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine and the Raconteurs, according to a report in the Chicago Sun-Times.

A full list of the more than 120 acts will be announced on Monday, but the Times reported that among the other bands on the bill for the August 1-3 event are: Gnarls Barkley, Bloc Party, Cat Power, Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks, Kid Sister, Girl Talk, Mates of State, G. Love and Special Sauce, the Black Keys, Broken Social Scene, Kid Sister, the Cool Kids, Blues Traveler, Jamie Lidell, Battles, Office, Grizzly Bear and Go! Team.

While Wilco, West, the Raconteurs and Barkley have previously played the reincarnated version of Lollapalooza, and Nine Inch Nails and Rage famously performed at the original granddaddy of American alternative fests (in its first and second years, respectively), Radiohead will be performing at Lolla for the first time.

Three-day passes are currently available for $190 at the Lollapalooza Web site, before the price goes up to $205.

Among the highlights of last year's festival were a throbbing set from Daft Punk — the first techno/dance act to headline one of the main stages at the revived festival — and a fiery performance from Pearl Jam, whose political remarks were possibly censored on the webcast of the show by AT&T's Blue Room.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks