'Foreign Language Film and Director Forum' Petition

Started by Gold Trumpet, June 21, 2003, 10:12:38 AM

Gold Trumpet

It has been talked about before, but now I am actually going to start an official thread for it getting realized. This can be ignored by all the guys in charge and nothing done about for it. That's fine, it is your message board, not mine and I'll still respect you guys. It is my belief though that a forum for foreign language films and directors specifically is a good idea considering traffic on these boards do go fast sometimes and threads on more obscure films made in other parts of the world and in different languages might get lost in that shuffle. This is not to say these films are better than any others, but really to represent a portion of people's interest who go on this forum a lot better.

One of the controversies going on now is that with the PTA Film Festival, it is designated in thought and process mainly for the American Crowd. A forum for Foreign Language Films and Directors should be able to promote the idea that more international films can be spotlighted in a similiar way under their own banner or what not because as popularity goes here. You will see the most face reaction for people like wes anderson and stanley kubrick instead. Special events like this go a long way in attracting new attention to films a lot of people may have not seen or gotten into yet. Mainly though, it is just to give more room to filmmakers and films who are more outside the American popularity wave and represent a good portion of people here who also look to these films in interest. Everything else is hope on what the forum can do.

If you believe this forum should exist, just reply and sign your name only. Comments and input are also welcome.

~rougerum

modage

themodernage02

where can i petition against this happening?  just kidding.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Well, thank you modernage for at least signing your name. I don't expect anyone else to do so at all. I guess I am dissapointed considering how easy and inconveniant of a thing it would have been for more people to sign this and how little of a difference there would be to the forum. I like this board, but I don't count on it for much.

~rougerum

modage

i am actually SHOCKED that i was the only one. ive only seen a few dozen foriegn films, but that doesnt mean i dont recognize the need for its own forum.  perhaps people would be aware of more, if they had a place to get recommendations.  any attempt at broadening the horizons of this board, i am for.  (is anyone else aware that PTA has 233 folders, and Kubrick only has 30 something and he is the next highest?)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

sphinx

i'm indifferent to your request, i speak individually here.  if enough people wanted it, we would make it for you guys

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetOne of the controversies going on now is that with the PTA Film Festival, it is designated in thought and process mainly for the American Crowd.

i find this insulting.  our decision to recognize the pta fanbase that exists within xixax seems to be interpreted as discrimination of the films of other countries by you.  we have taken our time to organize and promote it for your benefit, and i'm disappointed that you would think of it as a 'contreversy'.

very disappointed

rustinglass

rustinglass

Great! I can't wait. When will it happen?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

children with angels

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetOne of the controversies going on now is that with the PTA Film Festival, it is designated in thought and process mainly for the American Crowd.

i find this insulting.  our decision to recognize the pta fanbase that exists within xixax seems to be interpreted as discrimination of the films of other countries by you.  we have taken our time to organize and promote it for your benefit, and i'm disappointed that you would think of it as a 'contreversy'.

I think he was talking about the timing of the festival being slanted towards the American crowd, and fairly impossible for Europeans, then drawing a parallel between that and the board's regard of foreign films in general. I don't necessarily agree, just thought I'd say...

P.S:I think the forum sounds like a good idea. That way you wouldn't get foreign director threads struggling to stay afloat in the Director's chair, and there would be a place to discuss these movies whenever anyone felt the urge...

children with angels.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Sigur Rós

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWell, thank you modernage for at least signing your name. I don't expect anyone else to do so at all.
~rougerum

Thor

I think it's a great idea, and I can't see why not.

SoNowThen

SoNowThen

Esq

-- yes, please, I do want this to happen bad--
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jokerspath

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI like this board, but I don't count on it for much.
~rougerum

oh whatever. look, i think its that 'insulting tone' in ur post, the "me and my mature collegues want a foreign films thread so we can all circle jerk together in foreign film bliss- u kiddie morons have fun w/ ur little pta film festival" attitude that i kinda took from reading ur petition. that's probably why u haven't gotten many responses. maybe.

as for ur idea, go ahead. doubt i would visit it much, but hey, most ppl wouldn't mind that. just remember, rome wasn't built in a day. new threads take time.

Gold Trumpet

CBR, why do you always imply words into what I say that I never do. I did speak about the PTA festival and his work being the norm, but I never said it was bad. I just think this place can be broadened and considering this board isn't one devoted to just him anymore, I thought that was one of the main intentions. And the comment you quoted came after I got hardly any responce and maybe in this controversy, I'll likely get more signatures and all.

Sphinx, children with angels was right in his observations.

~rougerum

sphinx

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSphinx, children with angels was right in his observations.

if it's true that we're discriminating, why is it that we're holding a european film festival for those who couldn't make it?  i hope you realize that an online film festival available to people in all time zones is physically impossible, and due to our inability to overcome things that are physically impossible we couldn't accomodate people who lived in europe/asia at the time.  i think it's sort of ridiculous on your part to assume that we were discriminating, especially when you've been telling others to stop implying things upon you themselves.  i see no parallel in this film festival and the lack of a foreign films board.

dufresne

this added forum could only be a good thing for Xixax.

dufresne
There are shadows in life, baby.

Gold Trumpet

Good points, Sphinx, and I concede on the points of the film festival. When I was writing my original post, I wanted to be as convincing as I could and far reached the topic when I wasn't fully sure on the main points of the film festival. When you stick your neck out as much as I do, you are bound to get slashed a few times and I do and its good for me. And if I did insult you or anyone running the show, then I apologize. But, I do maintain this forum will be good in promoting more talk for filmmakers outside of the country and able to bring members from very unique parts of the world into conversation where they can shed interesting and unique light upon any filmmakers around their place of living that we all could look into. On that level, I hope more people can support this the best way and that is by simply putting their name down. If enough people do it, it can work whether or not you will visit all the time. Still nothing bad in it.

~rougerum