Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Started by TenseAndSober, May 11, 2003, 04:00:23 PM

modage

ghostboy, if you like that try buying/downloading their first EP.  also great, and none of the same songs.  miles away and our time are probably better than anything on the album.  and bang is pretty funky.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02and bang art star is pretty funky.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Quote from: GoneSavage
QuoteThey leave Pretty Girls Make Graves in the dust.
I don't detect any sarcasm here.  Have you noticed the fact that PGMG are very proficient in playing instruments where as the guy from YYY can't form even one chord?  Karen makes up for hitting bum notes live by throwing beer over everybody.  Good for her.

And I also love the fact that bands with girl lead singers only get compared to other bands with girl lead singers.

Nope, no sarcasm here. First of all,  they're an easy comparison to draw, seeing as how they both go for a similar sound (melodic punk rock -- thanks to Godardian, I can also say that they both owe something to Souxie And The Banshees as well). Sure, the fact they both have female lead singers is a significant common point, but it's not like I'm comparing them to, say, The Cranberries -- their musical style is similar enough to warrant it.

Second, and this is purely my own opinion, but PGMG may be able to play their instruments really well, but that doesn't help their rather lukewarm and limp songwriting. The New Romance sank to the bottom of my regular rotating records almost instantly after my first listen to it -- I enjoy bits and pieces of it and there are some admittedly strong elements, -- but after only a few spins, I've found more passion and music in any given song on the Fever To Tell.

GoneSavage

You've made a strong, personal case.  I commend you, good sir, but I don't agree with you.

Pedro

The problem with The New Romance is that after all of the elements of it are revealed it gets kinda boring.  It takes a few listens to realize everything going into the songs, but unlike other, more involving albums (like Kid A or something) it doesn't make you want to listen to it after you've unlocked it all.

ive listened to the first album a lot more.

godardian

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: themodernage02and bang art star is pretty funky.

They're both great, but "Art Star" has grown on me more. I like how it seems to be taking the piss out of pretentious New York-style gallery-bound art-posturing... but all while being sort of exemplary of same. Dialectical!

My favorite from the EP is predictable, though: "Our Time" is anthemic and also benefits from completely and blatantly stealing the "Crimson and Clover" melody, but with way more interesting lyrics.

The "Machine" single is pretty good, too, although I'd say the only real keeper is the A-side.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pas

That song Maps is pretty fucking good. Just made me buy this album.

godardian

This may have been posted somewhere else already, but has anyone heard the gossip about Karen O. and Spike Jonze being an item?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

mogwai

Quote from: godardianThis may have been posted somewhere else already, but has anyone heard the gossip about Karen O. and Spike Jonze being an item?
it might be a rumor because i think karen is steady with angus andrew from the band the liars. who knows? who cares? :turn-l:

rustinglass

Hey, did anyone see the Y-Control video?
I caught it on TV at a party last night,  from what I remember, it was some freaky shit involving children with axes, a lot of blood, pigs and karen O wore a mini skirt.

Edit: Just learned that it was directed by Spike Jonze and nobody is showing it and no animals or kids were harmed during the production and you can see it here:
http://umusic.ca/yeahyeahyeahs/index.php#media
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

evaderhead

Quote from: godardianWhen I mentioned the band in another context on this board, I said they sounded like "White Stripes meet early Siouxsie Sioux, with a dash of Lydia Lunch thrown in."

Anyone else agree, or would you describe differently? Obviously, they have their own energy, but I would say the late '70s/early '80s were a huge influence, stuff like The Birthday Party, The Fall, Siouxsie, etc, maybe the poppier early Sonic Youth stuff.

agree with"White Stripes meet early Siouxsie Sioux, with a dash of Lydia Lunch thrown in." but earlier sonic youth stuff? i really can't bring them together.
You'll see me one more time if you do good,
and you'll seeme two more times if you do bad.

Stefen

You guys are trippin. Karen O is a dog. And the other guy in the band looks like Stephen Colbert. Good music.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

El Duderino

Fever To Tell is a great album
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I got this album, liked it, didn't listen to it much, gave it another spin, and I'm addicted to it again.  

I quite enjoy Rich, Tick, Y Control, Maps and Black Tongue.

They do rock quite a bit, yes.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.