Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

Drenk

Spoiler: ShowHide
Yeah, apparently Tate in this movie is like Tate in these trailers: just there, sometimes, randomly.
Ascension.

jenkins

it's already bothering everyone to not be able to talk about the ending, which how annoying. it comes out soon enough but the odds seem low that I'll make it in without knowing what happens from bumping into the information somehow

it's being celebrated on par with the almodóvar, in that the criticisms against it are lame and the praises are lit

wilberfan

Reviews are starting to come online.  Esquire.com has one and an interview.  (I'm still trying to decide if I should read them.  I ended up reading everything about Phantom Thread before it came out and the movie was very non-spoiled for me.)

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a27557233/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-review-quentin-tarantino-movie/

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a27458589/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-leonardo-dicaprio-brad-pitt-quentin-tarantino-interview/

Nothing spoilery here:
QuoteFrom the time I first spoke with Quentin Tarantino last month for Esquire’s Summer cover story, all the way until just before the house lights were dimmed last night at Cannes, the director has asked that those writing about his new film not reveal the ending. For a film set over three days in 1969, it's as though Tarantino wants the press — that now, thanks to Twitter and Facebook includes basically anyone who can send their thoughts out into the world — to act a bit more like this is, indeed, 1969: a wonderful fairy-tale land where a director can open a film and its power can be spread through the land, slowly, gently, through buzzy word of mouth, rather than have its soul reduced to a tweet, chewed up and spit out into the twittterverse within minutes of its opening.

All of which is to say, I'm with him.

[edit]  Quickly scanned the review.  It's very positive.  Very.

Drenk

Burt Reynolds had an heart attack on his toilet. That's what I learned from this interview. (And that I'll probably love the movie.)
Ascension.

Alethia

Robyn

Please, Tarantino has written amazing female characters throughout the years. Everyone forgot that?

On another note, I was wondering where that Cannes Press Conference where. It's online somewhere yet?

Alethia

Twitter makes me want to fucking vomit. Yet I can't tear myself away. HELP.

Robyn

Here's the full press conference.

Alethia

Robyn

There's no big plot spoilers, but again, they talk about the direction of the film

Alethia

If you're okay with it then I'm okay with it.

wilberfan

I've actually been thinking about this recently.  Wondering if the rush to have a version ready for Cannes would be one he was happy with...

Quentin Tarantino Says He May Recut 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' to Make it Longer

Quentin Tarantino is not wedded to the Cannes cut of "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood." He and editor Fred Raskin worked hard to finish it in time to world premiere at his favorite festival on May 21, and Tarantino told me he wouldn't have shown it if he wasn't ready. As soon as he was sure he could deliver, festival director Thierry Fremaux alerted the news. But even if Sony struck three wet 35mm prints of the two-hour, 39-minute Cannes version, Tarantino can still go back into the editing room, Sony chairman Tom Rothman confirmed at the premiere. A decade back, Tarantino re-edited "Inglourious Basterds" after Cannes, as well.

"I may make it longer," said Tarantino at the Hotel Carlton, the day after audiences first saw the movie that proved to be the hottest ticket of this year's festival by far. Raskin's first assembly was four hours, 20 minutes. "His job is to put in every single thing I shot, give me everything," he said. "That's not unusual, for an epic-y kind of movie." He and Raskin initially thought it might come in around the two-hour 45-minute mark. "Let's see if we can get it tighter than that," he told Raskin. "2:45 seems like an old Quentin movie. Let's see if we can get past the Quentin cut to a really friendly cut any audience can appreciate."

Now that he's seen the $90-million movie play with an audience (aside from some research previews), Tarantino is going to look at it again. "I wouldn't take anything else out," he said. "I'm going to explore possibly putting something back in. If anything, I wanted to go to Cannes too short. if I'm going to err, I'm going to err on too tight."

As far as Rothman is concerned, Tarantino can do whatever he wants. "It's his movie. We're privileged to be along for the ride," he said. "It's a Quentin Tarantino film. It's entirely in his very capable hands."

More

Robyn

Do it, Quentin!

I think it was the Bear Jew background chapter or the Shosanna background one that got cut from IB? Not sure if both of them were in the Cannes cut. I was rewatching it the other day actually, and in a weird way it almost feels like a movie-version of a television show. That film could've been 3 hours longer and it would've been even better, probably. But yeah, he'll probably make one after his 10 movies..the Netflix cut of Hateful Eight doesn't really count.

Drenk

Inglourious Basterds should have been a miniseries; it's just weaker when you watch the whole thing at once, and at least I could say that most of the episodes are good and some are great. I don't know what to do with this movie.
Ascension.

Alethia

Yeah I always thought IB felt truncated too. Lots in the script I was sad to see excised.