Superman & Batman

Started by MacGuffin, July 20, 2013, 04:07:46 PM

jenkins

Quote from: ©brad on April 18, 2015, 12:26:23 PM
Snyder is taking failing upward to new heights.

right?

was clicking around imdb and noticed zach snyder is also attached to direct both the upcoming justice league movies. and for some reason "chris terrio" is attached as the writer for both those movies, and he's 1/2 the writing team here, along with david goyer who been around a bit and is also an executive producer, as is christopher nolan of course

this is a hot fucking mess and everyone knows it and they just keep marching forward and laughing to the bank. i absolutely consider this a part of american trash culture and it's such a big deal here and around the world so that's fascinating

Jeremy Blackman

Does Batman have three different masks now? First one looks like a piece of rubber pulled over his head, second one looks normal, third one looks like Iron Man.

modage

Quote from: ©brad on April 18, 2015, 12:26:23 PM
Snyder is taking failing upward to new heights.

I know this is the general sentiment but like Michael Bay before him, Snyder's films (even with their issues, and God knows they have them) are still more interesting to me than most of what passes for big budget entertainment these days. Film being a visual medium and all, I'll take a "Man Of Steel" with its moments of true visual awe (and massive storytelling problems) over the C+ blandness of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" any day.

This little moment of the particles gathering around his fist has more visual poetry than anything in "The Avengers." And for moments like those I'll continue to root for him. I think if he had a great script, he could knock it out of the park.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

I don't disagree with that mod (even though I liked The Avengers - not so much Winter Soldier), but it's been so many films that this guy has a terrible script that ruins something that could have been way more awesome. From Watchmen to Sucker Punch to Man of Steel. This new one looks like a mess as well. I'm not sure the visuals replace the issues with the script for me.

©brad

Dude can certainly do cool stuff with a camera, and the trailer for this shows promise. But good directors should elevate the script they're given, or know when they've been handed a bad one. He's demonstrated that he can do neither. I think the frustrating thing with Snyder is most of his films have something cool or unique, and you watch a trailer for his next one and think, okay this is the one where he gets all the pieces right and delivers a home run. Remember how excited many of us were when the Man of Steel trailer dropped? And then we got a C+. He seems more adept and interested in visual flourishes than he does with story.

pete

Snyder is like a boring Michael Bay. He's taking more from anime than the other directors, which is the only thing that's still keeping him interesting. But that Superman cap cited by mod, that supposed visual poetry is in like every episode of Dragon Ball Z or the Last Airbender.

But for me the problem is more basic, and harder for me to critique - I simply don't buy into his world. Michael Bay at least invents the stuff that we're annoyed/intrigued by - this Snyder guy sees a Tarantino movie and figures out how he can turn them into superhero movies. Sucker Punch was a horrible attempt to re-do Kill Bill, and that new Superman tried to take Kill Bill's Superman speech and turn it into a very very very long movie. Past that - i don't know, he's just not cool. His characters fight like Power Rangers and he thinks if you slow down/ elongate the moments in the script are supposed to be fun everyone is going to take him seriously.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

i would've rewritten it as "that's a three-syllable word too big for one little mind."

cronopio2

pete's on the money about Hach Snyder.

this movie looks like a cemetery of actors and ideas.

jeremy irons. come on , man.

Gold Trumpet

Up until the new trailer, I was in the "going to see it but not expecting much" camp. Now i'm not even interested. These movies are really making Nolan's Batman films age well.

Sleepless

I'm definitely in the minority in looking forward to this film, and indeed the whole slate of promised forthcoming DC films. X-Men aside, I was never a Marvel fan; though I am now a huge fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies too. But the DC characters - and Aquaman especially - are mine. So I'm excited.

Sure, the marketing Warners have done has been terrible throughout. There have been a lot of behind-the-scenes stories that have come out which have done very little to boost confidence that they know what they're doing. And the trailers have some classicly terrible Synder moments.

But I still came away from watching that most recent trailer which a huge goofy grin on my face.

This movie is not going to be anything special as a piece of cinematic art or probably even mainstream blockbuster entertainment, but damn if I'm not going to keep being excited about it and do my best to love every minute of it on its own terms.

Look on the positive side: none of us are going to go into this with anything but really low expectations. Let's just hope the final product can surpass them.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

the DC vs Marvel conversation is always fun to me because there's absolutely no way a person would say that without being willing to see both movies anyway

cronopio2

Drenk

The one with Batman and Superman fighting for five minutes for no real reason is bad.

I have a card, I can watch as many movies as I want every month, I still regret to have watched it. I knew it would be bad. I needed to witness it, though.
Ascension.

Kal

Being a Superman fan, this was one of the most disappointing and frustrating movie experiences of my life (as it's been with the last three Superman films). There are SPOILERS but who cares because honestly nothing happens in this movie that anyone should ever care about or worry about SPOILERS.

It's two and half hours long, and there is absolutely no plot, no character development, no reason why actions are taken, and no consequences for any of the actions. It's one long, ridiculous, over the top, terribly acted scene with dumb dialogue after another.

The most ridiculous thing is that the whole Batman vs. Superman fight which lasts 80% of the movie could have been solved with both of them having a coffee at Starbucks for 3 minutes and talking about why Superman was trying to save the Earth from Zod and that he is a good man. Done. They would have been best friends instead of trying to kill each other for no fucking reason.

Then towards the end, they become friends and there is also no reason why they should. Only because both of their moms are called Martha. It's fucking insane and infuriating that Snyder is a moron, treats the audience like morons, and we all bought tickets and still make this one of the largest openings in history.

It should have flopped, so that he gets fired because the DC Universe will be a nightmare for the next decade because of this guy. Wonder Woman comes out of nowhere and makes no sense. There's no reason why she should be here other than to promote another movie that will suck.

The idiotic Lex Luthor is super over the top and has zero character development. There is a whole plot line with a Senator and a dude in a wheelchair that makes no sense, doesn't affect the overall plot or change anything, and then it moves on to the next bullshit. There is not one funny line in the movie, or one relaxing moment where you get to see the characters just be normal. It's all one tense, dark, angry scene after another.

I could rant about this piece of shit for more than two hours but I don't want to be as disrespectful as Zack Snyder.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILER

Quote from: Kal on March 26, 2016, 12:51:29 PMThen towards the end, they become friends and there is also no reason why they should. Only because both of their moms are called Martha.

I heard this on the Rotten Tomatoes podcast, and I wasn't 100% sure if they were joking or not. Is it played sincerely?