Monty Python's: THE MEANING OF LIFE

Started by Sigur Rós, March 29, 2003, 01:41:08 PM

The Silver Bullet

They hate it for two reasons. The first is because of the experience of writing it. They made it because their manager told them that if they made another film right away they'd never have to work again, and this resulted in them really scraping the bottom of their ink wells for ideas. Unlike on the other films, the writing process was much less organic, and much more obligatory. They went off to Bermuda knowing that they had to write something; not the best conditions undre which to write. They had no thread or idea of what the film was really about, and as a result the film took a very "sketch show" sort of format, which after And Now For Somehting Completely Different [which was anything but] they had promised never to do again; in a greedy sort of shot at making money, they had turned their back on their younger selves. Second was the process of making it. Gilliam went out of control, over budget and mad with "the pirate bit", and this caused much more friction than when he was just making aniations. That and they just didn't like the film in comparison to [primarily] Life Of Brian, which they thought reflected better on them, and was much more of a movie. They felt that, artistically more than anything, they had taken a step backwards, and just for a little money. Of course, the film won the Jury Award at Cannes and some have called it not only the best Python film of the four, but one of the best [not to mention philosophical] comedy films of all time. So. There you have it. I personally love the thing too. I put it ahead of Brian and Grail. And Completely Different doesn't even count...

QuoteThe ending on the movie now is OK, but you can't tell me that wouldn't have worked better as an ending.

The editor of the film actually wanted to either end the film with this, or reprise the Frenchman after the Grim Reaper. The moment you have told an audience to "fuck off" you cannot keep them in that movie. He really wanted to have the Frenchman come back again and say, "Oh, so sorry. I overreacted, my fault, I really, relaly do want to tell you the meaning of life. Very much. So follow me." And then have him the lead the audience through traffic and what not for ages, the length of the credits, beyond the credits, like a minute past the end of the credits, so that they're all standing at the back, near the door, waiting to leave, and then have him turn back and say, "FUCK OFF!"

And wouldn't that just have been the absoloute perfect end to Python as a filmmaking force?
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Satcho9

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Satcho9Great Great Movie. Anyone know if it is coming out on DVD, or if it is on DVD? I think there is a barebones edition, but I would like to see it get the treatment Holy Grail and Life of Brian got on DVD.

I own it on DVD...but that's Region 2.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Satcho9Anyone know if it is coming out on DVD, or if it is on DVD? I think there is a barebones edition, but I would like to see it get the treatment Holy Grail and Life of Brian got on DVD.

Universal is set to announce the DVD release of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life: Special Edition on September 2nd! Look for anamorphic widescreen video, both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio, a new introduction by Eric Idle, audio commentary, deleted scenes, The Meaning of Making the Meaning of Life documentary and a slew of featurettes (including The Songs, Snipped Bits, Un Film de John Cleese, Songs Unsung, Education Tips, Fish, Re-mastering a Masterpiece, Song and Dance, Virtual Reunion and Selling the Meaning of Life). SRP will be $26.98

Quote from: RaviThe Pythons hate this movie, so I doubt they would do an SE of it, so the most we can probably hope for is a new 16:9 enhanced transfer.

Bah!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Keener

I really do love The Meaning of Life. I'm one of those who prefers Holy Grail but I personally see no need to call Meaning of Life lesser in the sense both gave me laughs equally. I have the $6.99 DVD which is barebones and this news of a special edition has me pleased.

As for the find the fish scene...God, I love that but my friends and I share a common love of comedy that makes no sense such as.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

children with angels

Well, that's the End of the Film, now here's the Meaning of Life...

[An envelope is handed to her. She opens it in a
         business-like way.]

Thank you Brigitte. [She reads.]... Well, it's nothing
    special. Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a
    good book every now and then, get some walking in and try and
    live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds
    and nations.
    And finally, here are some completely gratuitous
    pictures of penises to annoy the censors and to hopefully
    spark some sort of controversy which it seems is the only way
    these days to get the jaded video-sated public off their
    fucking arses and back in the sodding cinema. Family
    entertainment: bollocks! What they want is filth, people doing
    things to each other with chainsaws during tupperware parties,
    babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay
    presidential candidates, vigilante groups strangling chickens,
    armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats -
    where's the fun in pictures? Oh well, there we are - here's
    the theme music. Goodnight.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Mesh

Quote from: MacGuffin
Universal is set to announce the DVD release of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life: Special Edition on September 2nd! Look for anamorphic widescreen video, both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio, a new introduction by Eric Idle, audio commentary, deleted scenes, The Meaning of Making the Meaning of Life documentary and a slew of featurettes (including The Songs, Snipped Bits, Un Film de John Cleese, Songs Unsung, Education Tips, Fish, Re-mastering a Masterpiece, Song and Dance, Virtual Reunion and Selling the Meaning of Life). SRP will be $26.98

Fantastic.  Can't wait.

SoNowThen

Yeah, I love this movie. It's my fav Python flick.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Satcho9Anyone know if it is coming out on DVD, or if it is on DVD? I think there is a barebones edition, but I would like to see it get the treatment Holy Grail and Life of Brian got on DVD.

Quote from: RaviThe Pythons hate this movie, so I doubt they would do an SE of it, so the most we can probably hope for is a new 16:9 enhanced transfer.

Bah!

What's your source?  This is surprising.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Hmmm, interesting. Strange situations produce sometimes brilliant work.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

second fave.  life of brian kills me.