HOLY SHIT! KILL BILL IN TWO PARTS! Volume Two

Started by modage, July 15, 2003, 11:24:11 PM

Alethia

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Raikus

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: markums2k
If studios realize they can charge you twice for one movie, the sky is the limit.

They have done that before.

Tommy Boy / Black Sheep is a perfect example
Oh, good show young chap. Good show.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

modage

Good News From Aint IT Cool...

It's Official... Tarantino's KILL BILL will be two flicks....

Miramax made it offical today breaking the news to the New York Times... KILL BILL will be two (2) action/adventure Motion Pictures, not a single one of epic length... We here at Geek Headquarters knew this as fact 3 weeks ago from several phone calls we recieved from insiders with that company and Tarantino's production company. Harry wanted to hold off on the announcement until we could include the actual release dates of BOTH flicks, buuuuuut since the Times has made it offical and no longer just fan rumor, I'll post up their story.

However, the word given to us 3 weeks ago in those phone conversations is that the second film (basicly all ready to go) would more than likely follow very, very closely the release of the first flick... six (6), or maybe even just five (5) weeks later. This is something Quentin wants very bad (a speedy second release)... soooo there will be NO 3 year wait, or a one year wait, or even a 6 month wait...

Now on to Laura Holson's NY TIMES story...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Tarantino Film to Be Released in 2 Parts
By LAURA M. HOLSON New York Times... July 16, 2003

LOS ANGELES, July 15 - Miramax Films will take the unusual and potentially risky move of releasing "Kill Bill," the much-anticipated Quentin Tarantino martial arts action-adventure film, as two movies, the first to open in the fall.

Miramax will in effect be taking a three-hour film with a 200-page script and turning it into a serial. Harvey Weinstein, a co-founder of Miramax, which is financing the film, said in an interview on Monday that the first installment would be in theaters on Oct. 10. The second release date is in still being negotiated, but it could be two to six months later, he said. To many in Hollywood, the decision will come as a surprise. Mr. Weinstein, who in Hollywood is known as "Harvey Scissorhands," after the title character in the movie "Edward Scissorhands," has a reputation for forcing directors to cut both costs and the lengths of their movies. Mr. Tarantino spent 155 days shooting the film, well more than planned and longer than usual for most films. But Mr. Weinstein said Mr. Tarantino was something of a special case. The popularity of his violent yet original 1994 film, "Pulp Fiction," helped put Miramax on the map and generated an abundance of cash to help the studio bankroll other movies. "Miramax is the house Quentin Tarantino built," Mr. Weinstein said. And because of this director's stature he was granted "carte blanche," Mr. Weinstein added. "Kill Bill'` is Mr. Tarantino's first foray into action filmmaking. His limited body of work also includes the equally violent yet critically praised "Reservoir Dogs."

When Mr. Tarantino first approached Mr. Weinstein about doing "Kill Bill" several years ago, it was with the condition that he be allowed to film the whole 200-page script that he had written. When Mr. Weinstein visited the set in its last month of shooting late last year, Mr. Tarantino said in a statement, Mr. Weinstein brought up the idea of splitting it in two. No decision was made at the time although Mr. Tarantino shot two opening-credit sequences, he said. Mr. Weinstein said it was not until he visited Los Angeles three weeks ago, when Mr. Tarantino showed him more than an hour and a half of the film, that the two decided on the two-film approach.

"Kill Bill" is the story, told in chapters, of the world's deadliest female assassin, who survives being shot on her wedding day and, after five years in a coma, seeks revenge on the man who tried to kill her. The film's samurai-style fight sequences were filmed largely in China and take place in everything from a nightclub to a snow-covered garden to a suburban home. "There were no obstacles involved in splitting up `Kill Bill' at all because I've always designed the movie, thought about the film, as malleable in any number of versions," Mr. Tarantino said in his statement. That includes different versions for Asia, America and Europe. The serial approach to "Kill Bill" has parallels to the making of the second and third installments of the "Matrix" series and "The Lord of The Rings" trilogy, which were filmed as one story but divided into parts and have been released on a staggered schedule. But those films were conceived as multipart releases; "Kill Bill" was not.

Despite the success of the "Matrix" and the "Lord of the Ring" franchises, Miramax's decision carries risks, given the box-office figures for a number of sequels, prequels and serials. Several have been disappointments this summer, including "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle," which received heavy publicity and generally favorable reviews as an enjoyable romp but which still failed to attract crowds. The serial films that have done well at the box office, like the "Matrix" series, have had built-in audiences already interested in the story. "Kill Bill," on the other hand, is from Mr. Tarantino's original screenplay. Mitigating some of the risk is the movie's price tag, which Mr. Weinstein estimated at more than $55 million, not including marketing costs: less than what many blockbusters cost because many of the actors worked for union-scale wages and because production costs in China are lower than in the United States.

What Miramax and Mr. Tarantino are betting on is that the director's avid fan base and the pent-up interest in "Kill Bill" - which has taken almost a decade to make and is Mr. Tarantino's fifth movie - will pack theaters not once, but twice. Still Mr. Weinstein said he was worried about overselling this film, calling it "just a fun B-movie." The question is: Fun for whom? "Kill Bill," not unlike other films that Mr. Tarantino has made, is intensely violent. That will limit the people who can see it, particularly the younger action-film audience that studios covet. In one spectacular fight in the "House of Blue Leaves" nightclub, nearly 100 people are killed, according to one person who worked on the set in China. Much has been made of the notion that Mr. Tarantino wanted the blood to be a particularly vibrant red. "Tarantino is something of an innovator who takes audiences into different realms," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations, a Los Angeles company that analyzes box-office returns. Miramax has yet to work out the actors' salaries for the two movies, Mr. Weinstein said.

The studio is renegotiating contracts, including one for Uma Thurman, who stars as the bride who is shot, and another for Lucy Liu, who plays a member of Bill's hit squad. Two Hollywood executives familiar with the contracts said the two actresses would receive a percentage of the box-office revenue. Because the contracts were originally based on only one movie, they will have to be changed to reflect the two-part scheme, the executives said. Stars' salary demands can often derail a movie, but Mr. Weinstein expressed confidence that a new agreement would be reached since the actors will not have to shoot new scenes.

The New York Times Company
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lets hope that quentins 5 or 6 weeks plan is allowed to go forward...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Something Spanish

This is ridiculous. Crop 10-minutes and release the fucking thing. My anticipation went from a 10 to a...uh...negative 3.

Talk about ripping off the audience. Not only do we have to pay double, but we'll have to wait at least until Spring 04' to see the second installment. My hatred for Harvey Weinstein, the fucking ape, has never been this great.  :x  (constipated face)

SoNowThen

I think this is hella cool.

Don't cut anything. I've always wanted to do movies as serials. Kick ass!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

:shock:

I respect you.  So I'll just leave that one alone.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

SoNowThen

Well... how come people are pissed? Is it that you have to pay more than once, or that it will be a wait to find out the ending?

I mean, I look at it this way: I would rather see the whole thing. So if it comes down to cutting it, or splitting it in two, I'll take splitting it.
Plus it gives me one more movie to look forward to, in an age where I only look forward to 2 new films a year.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

I said in an earlier post that I think it's very exploitative to do something like this.  I mean, it's not like we're watching Gettysburg or something.  I sat through Magnolia, through Boogie Nights, Pulp Ficiton, all rather long movies (as I'm sure you know), so I really would like to see the entire film from start to finish on one ticket.  

But that's just me.

On the flip side, the cliffhanger effect will be kinda exciting.  I'll admit that.  :wink:
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

markums2k

Quote from: SoNowThenWell... how come people are pissed? Is it that you have to pay more than once, or that it will be a wait to find out the ending?

I mean, I look at it this way: I would rather see the whole thing. So if it comes down to cutting it, or splitting it in two, I'll take splitting it.
Plus it gives me one more movie to look forward to, in an age where I only look forward to 2 new films a year.

As long as they stick it on one DVD, I'll be fine with it.  Serial DVDs are not nearly as 'innovative'.

SoNowThen

Yeah, I'll give you that.

They probably will, though.

Fernando

KB I is released october 10th, so if they release the KB II as they say in five or six weeks, it will be competing against Master and Comander on november 15 just ten days after Revolutions and on november 22 would be against The Cat in the Hat and Barbershop 2, I say if they really want to do that surely will be on the 22nd.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: markums2k
If studios realize they can charge you twice for one movie, the sky is the limit.

They have done that before.

Tommy Boy / Black Sheep is a perfect example

most people dont know this but,  both those films were ghost co written by wim wender and john meloncamp in colaberation

©brad

mixed feelings about it, but i luv a good cliffhanger, so hopefully we'll get one at the end of part 1, matrix style.

i just hope its good.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ©bradi just hope its good.

All I care about too. It seems just to be a play to get as much as in as possible, of course. It'll be one film on dvd release. I don't care about seeing the whole on different occasions, but I just hope the first part doesn't feel too much of an introduction onto what will finally be great in the second part. I hope some good stuff happens during that.

~rougerum