Truth

Started by molly, November 24, 2003, 06:46:47 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: MacGuffin"It's just a message board."
but is it anything to get all butt hurt over?

For a place where I'm (somewhat) accepted by my peers, as opposed to my real life? Yes. I also care a lot about many of my fellow members here, so I would get "all butt hurt" standing up for them or going out of my way to help them.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

Quote from: mollyDo you feel that on forums (this one and others) you can say what you really think, without being affraid that you're gonna hurt somebody's feelings? Do you feel that a person on the forum is your real personality?

You see, I have a theory that people on forums communicate only with their thoughts, there is no real name, no face, no body, no cloths and no reason to pretend, and, since it is not chat, you have the time to think and question your mind before you make a post. I found out A LOT about myself, and also it helped me a lot with some things I didn't like about myself. Now, don't think I'm proud about every post I ever made, but even those stupid ones helped me to understand myself and others better. I became more tolerant, and less speachless in unpleasant situations. I'm less affraid to say what I think, or to skip saying that if I estimate that it would be pointless or dangerous. And I feel more competent to make that estimation.

What about you?

Quote from: MacGuffinSince no one is offering, molly, and I think it took a lot to show a bit of yourself, I'll do something I don't normally like to do that is fitting for this thread, and that is reveal some things about myself.

I do feel this board allows me to think before I talk and edit myself; something I could never do in real life. I'm not a 'quick on my feet' person, so I feel here I can think clearly about what I want to say. It also does let me see what others think about me and my opinions; how I come across. So, in a way, I think my self-consciousness is evident to myself moreso here, but I also feel I can speak my mind more openly here than I feel I'm not able to do in in real life. As for not wanting to offend anybody, I do try to choose my words carefully. I know there are real people behind their own computer screens reading my words. I feel others here at times don't remember that, and I've never been a believer in the theory: "It's just a message board." Words, either positive or negative, do make an impact. There are people here that I wish I lived closer to, or vice versa, that I feel their personality does come across and I think they are people I wouldn't mind knowing 'off-screen'. There are people here I consider friends because I don't know anybody like them where I am; people I don't ever think I could ever approach to talk to in real life. For one example, I don't think budgie and I would have ever met and talked in 'the real world' the way we did here. So in that respect, I feel Xixax.com gives me more confidence in myself.

Now someone will probably post a joke underneath me and our words will lose their meaning.

Really wonderful posts. It is post like these that really make people realize that there are human beings behind the screen.  

I believe that xixax has made me open up to a wide variety of people who are interested in movies (like me) but who have interesting personalities and differing opinions that creates this community.   When I first joined, I was intimidated and was afraid of voicing my opinion. After a while, I realized nobody here was afraid to say what they thought, so why should I be afraid?  I have always been quiet in real life, so it was nice to find a place where my thoughts and opinions could be heard and not caught in the shuffle.  Writing has always been a good form of communication, and I agree with Mac in that this board helps me think before I 'talk' and helps me really develop my opinion. I admit to previewing my posts at least 2 times before I actually post them. I have gained more confidence and, like molly, am less afraid to say what I think.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinas opposed to my real life?
i have invited you out before....so i have no sympathy.  sorry.

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjji have invited you out before....so i have no sympathy.  sorry.

I wasn't looking for it. In fact, I don't look for anything from you.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinI don't look for anything from you.
then let mesage boards make yer self worth....just sayin;....mac, my offer was genuwine, nothin' more.

Pedro

boyyyys...

i love this board, and with the exception of a few, it seems to be really tolerant of people, especially their opinions, though the discussions become quite heated at times.  but it's a great place to solidify your own opinions and get to know other people with a common interest.  i have contact outside the board and PMs with a few users....i wish more.  there are a lot of really hip people here id love to get to know on a more personal basis.

Banky

yeah i would be down to get to know others more outside of posting also

MacGuffin

Quote from: aclockworkjjthen let mesage boards make yer self worth....just sayin;....mac, my offer was genuwine, nothin' more.

I will. What's it to you? Leave me the fuck alone and don't pay me any mind. It's my life not yours. I have better conversations in PM that I do in real life. Sorry if you don't feel the same or get the same feeling about this "message board" as I do. You are here all the time however, so you must feel something. But if it's only because it makes you feel better about yourself pointing out the weaknesses of others, then you're in worse shape than I am. I don't like you here, what makes you think I would even entertain the idea of "a beer" with you? Like hanging out with you would suddenly make my life more valuable. I'm sure most people here would see it as a sign of my desperation. I actually thought twice about deleting that last bit out, but you don't take this board or anything on it to heart, right?

You'll respond to this because you always have to get the last word, but I'm not gonna ruin molly's thread, so I'm done.

Quote from: BankyIts good to here from you Mac.  yOu should write more personal posts more often.

This is why I don't.

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinpointing out the weaknesses of others,
that's the last thing i do...

Rudie Obias

i'm very honest with my opinions on xixax.  i take film and filmmaking very seriously.  i feel no need to lie on the internet.  it's true my opinion doesn't agree with others on xixax but it's still just as valid.  sure i hate bryan singer and roger avery but that's just my opinion.  you may not like wong kar-wai or harmony korine but that's ok that's your opinion.  you're the people that are going hell!!  hahahahaha!!!!

as for seeing what i look like, here are a few pics of greatness:

\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Find Your Magali

In just a page and a half, this thread encapsulates everything that is truly wonderful and everything that is truly regrettable about xixax.com.

In other words, we're only human...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: molly...you have the time to think and question your mind before you make a post.

apparently you haven't been here lonng enough..... :wink:

molly

Walrus, Kookookajoob wrote:
Wait...why did you repeat yourself...twice?

sigh..

u see, when ppl edit their posts they leave a mark under the signature, it tells everyone that ur a jerk and u couldn't get it right the first time. most ppl dont' hav a problem with it, but i do. in the C&C boards i called it the "edit stain" and those that had it were called "dirty posts". well to avoid it what i do is quote myself, edit my post, and delete the old one.

so sumtimes u will see me post twice, and then delete one.

this has been another Publick Service Announcement.
=============================================
I copy/pasted this post to hear from you that that is totally unnecessary. I don't think that people who edit their post are jerks, I have never thought that. I hope you think the same. Sometimes we say stupid things when we feel threatened, harsh things that can hurt other people, but I don't think those things come from heart.
I mean, I would really feel awful if I would find out that I offended somebody so much to make him think that he/she is a jerk and in reality isn't. When you read that post, can you understand how much effect can have words said in anger, and does it bother you? Does it make you promise yourself to be more cautious about things you say when you feel angry and insecure?
Also, if it bothers you, you should feel good about yourself. Feeling good about yourself is a very important thing.
I just felt awful that a member of this board thinks that about him/herself
and that it makes him/her make all that ceremony with posts. Actually, if it helps, when I notice "edit stain" I always think that the one who made it was nice enough to think twice about his/her words. I guess there are more explanations about things, some are good, some are malicious. Those malicious are not worth of anyone's time and effort.

If I was not clear enough, please ask me to explain more.

Pubrick

Quote from: mollyWalrus, Kookookajoob wrote:
Wait...why did you repeat yourself...twice?

sigh..

u see, when ppl edit their posts they leave a mark under the signature, it tells everyone that ur a jerk and u couldn't get it right the first time. most ppl dont' hav a problem with it, but i do. in the C&C boards i called it the "edit stain" and those that had it were called "dirty posts". well to avoid it what i do is quote myself, edit my post, and delete the old one.

so sumtimes u will see me post twice, and then delete one.

this has been another Publick Service Announcement.
=============================================
I copy/pasted this post to hear from you that that is totally unnecessary. I don't think that people who edit their post are jerks, I have never thought that. I hope you think the same. Sometimes we say stupid things when we feel threatened, harsh things that can hurt other people, but I don't think those things come from heart.
I mean, I would really feel awful if I would find out that I offended somebody so much to make him think that he/she is a jerk and in reality isn't. When you read that post, can you understand how much effect can have words said in anger, and does it bother you? Does it make you promise yourself to be more cautious about things you say when you feel angry and insecure?
Also, if it bothers you, you should feel good about yourself. Feeling good about yourself is a very important thing.
I just felt awful that a member of this board thinks that about him/herself
and that it makes him/her make all that ceremony with posts. Actually, if it helps, when I notice "edit stain" I always think that the one who made it was nice enough to think twice about his/her words. I guess there are more explanations about things, some are good, some are malicious. Those malicious are not worth of anyone's time and effort.

If I was not clear enough, please ask me to explain more.
haha, jesus christ. i think ur the first person who's ever been offended by me not editing my posts.

u didn't get it. there's nothing malicious about what i meant. i just don't like to edit my posts, i'd rather do it the way i've been doing it since i started posting on forums. that's all.

u see, back in the C&C boards i started a joke about edited posts being dirty and those that weren't, weren't. it didn't start a revolution against editing, it was just a joke.

geez. molly. i think u really missed the boat on that one.
under the paving stones.

molly

Quote from: P
haha, jesus christ. i think ur the first person who's ever been offended by me not editing my posts.

u didn't get it. there's nothing malicious about what i meant. i just don't like to edit my posts, i'd rather do it the way i've been doing it since i started posting on forums. that's all.

u see, back in the C&C boards i started a joke about edited posts being dirty and those that weren't, weren't. it didn't start a revolution against editing, it was just a joke.

geez. molly. i think u really missed the boat on that one.

I knew it! Long posts...
1) I wasn't offended at all. It's not me who should be offended by anything

2) I just read that post and it seemed to me awful that somebody thinks I'm gonna think he's bad because he edited a post.

3) if it's just a joke - OK. If you prefer that - fine. But I just wanted to make it clear that no one feels like a jerk because he/she made a mistake.