History of Xixax?

Started by wilberfan, October 04, 2017, 06:36:51 PM

jenkins

i'm guilty of thinking i was exaggerating, but i was being highly accurate in fact. again, it's not a cry for help. you should do more? lol. i'd never ask such a thing. you should do exactly what you do. and i should face reality. that's how i like things.

Gold Trumpet

Who here is from the old board? I don't remember everyone who is that is still active. I am. Got on when Magnolia was the buzzed about new film from PTA. Good times.

Alethia

Me! Though I was a mere teen at the time - right around the theatrical release of PDL, so some 16 years by now? - and at one point just became a lurker for about a decade before re-emerging.

Kal

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on November 14, 2018, 08:17:09 PM
Who here is from the old board? I don't remember everyone who is that is still active. I am. Got on when Magnolia was the buzzed about new film from PTA. Good times.

15+ years strong and still going for me  :yabbse-thumbup:

Sleepless

A week from today, I'll have been here 15 years exactly.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

18 years? Can that be right? Watched Magnolia on video (VHS!), watched Boogie Nights shortly thereafter, found the old C&C site and devoured everything on it, signed up for the board whenever it was added, posted way too damn much, migrated to Xixax with everyone else after Greg shuttered the old forum.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

I stumbled onto the Cigarettes and Coffee board in the summer of 2001, when I would've been 12. I had a life changing experience watching 'Magnolia' on a VHS rented from the library that spring and I wanted to attempt to figure it all out. The board was helpful in that, along with providing a whole range of film related topics to mull over. You could feel the sense of camaraderie there bleeding through every post. I most vividly remember reading this guy's rough draft of a Kevin Smith styled script entitled "Strapped For Cash". It was probably really bad, but at the time I was just so impressed that he wrote it all. I started to sneak away into the acres of woods in my uncle's backyard with a notebook and began writing ideas for movies. I would usually go back there to look for snakes- a favorite 12 year old past time, but instead I started to conceptualize a movie about kids who go out hunting for snakes and are lured bv a child molester who lives in an old mansion there. The blossom of another idea was about a paranoid conspiracy theorist investigating strange coincidences and connecting the dots between them (very Magnolia inspired) I still want to write that script, I was so captivated by the idea for a long time.

The important thing here is that the board encouraged me to pick up a notebook and start writing, reading that guys script showed me that you could make cool things happen on paper. It was a very secretive practice at the time, I would leave the house out of the back door so no one would see me with a notebook tucked under my shirt and head down the trail a few hundred yards before I sat down to write. I must've been highly aware of the stigma applied to a boy keeping a journal. Looking back on it, anyone who had known I was writing would've been incredibly supportive of it! I just didn't want them inquiring about what I was up to, perhaps deflating my balloon being under the assumption that a 12 year old can write a movie.

Alethia

I still remember where the first Magnolia vhs ended ("Yes, Stanley.") and the second one began ("Well, that was in French..."). But I cannot understate the massive influence this site has had on my development as a cineaste/man of taste.