Indy DVD's

Started by Redlum, February 02, 2003, 07:14:23 AM

Find Your Magali

It's a fun box cover, but a little obvious. I would have liked to have seen something a little classier, without the Indiana that has a big goofy grin.

What would a Criterion "Raiders of the Lost Ark" cover look like, for example?  

Oh, cripes, look at me complaining. I'm just glad we're finally getting the darn thing.

Cecil

Quote from: Find Your MagaliWhat would a Criterion "Raiders of the Lost Ark" cover look like, for example?

gentlemen, start your mock-ups

Ghostboy

I've never been a Drew Struzan fan. His Indy art is efficient enough, but I hate everything he does for Star Wars. I wish George would go back to using classically painted posters like with the first two SW films (of course, that's probably on the bottom of my list of things I wish George would do). That said, I'll be at Best Buy at 10am on the 21st to pick these up.

Gold Trumpet

It's a nice box set. I'm kinda glad I don't like these movies that much to buy them. It seems everything comes out in an expensive box set these days.

~rougerum

Redlum

Works out cheaper than buying them seperately, and I seem to recall we have Spieleberg to thank for that. He who also insisted that the original version of ET be included along wth the 20th Anniversary edition.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Just Withnail

Quote from: GhostboyI've never been a Drew Struzan fan. His Indy art is efficient enough, but I hate everything he does for Star Wars. I wish George would go back to using classically painted posters like with the first two SW films

Actually, that whipcracking Indy on the box isn't by Struzan, but some guy called Amsel, who, if I'm not mistaken, ironically enough also did some of the classic Star Wars posters.

Find Your Magali

Some non-obvious stills from Raiders that would make great DVD covers:

(1) A closeup of the back of a leather jacket covered with spiders
(2) The long shot where Indy is standing over the Well of Souls, with the storm clouds gathering in the background.
(3) A simple closeup just showing that squat little gold idol from the first cave sequence.
(4) The bewildered look on Indy's face as he turns the corner and sees the entire marketplace filled with wicker baskets.
(5) Just a closeup of the wooden crate holding the ark, with the Nazi insignia already charred off... ... or, would it be too much of a spoiler to have a DVD cover of the final long shot of the warehouse?

Redlum

Quote from: Find Your Magalior, would it be too much of a spoiler to have a DVD cover of the final long shot of the warehouse?

Good idea. Although that would make for some cool artwork on the inside if it were a fold out set of discs.

Or maybe for each movies case, base the cover on the sought after artefact in the film. Shankara stone for the Temple of Doom etc.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

markums2k

No love for Last Crusade?  It was my favorite, followed by Raiders, then Temple of Doom.

I think I'll save my money and take the wife to see the new Matrix and Return of the King instead of revisiting Indy in all his remastered glory.

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it: The beating heart in Temple of Doom has been replaced with... a 'walkie talkie'.  Spielburg stated that, as a young director, his treatment of flopping, bloody organs was a bit misguided and he is confident that the digital alterations will result in a film that is closer to his original vision.

Cecil

Quote from: markums2kThe beating heart in Temple of Doom has been replaced with... a 'walkie talkie'.

what?

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Cecil
Quote from: markums2kThe beating heart in Temple of Doom has been replaced with... a 'walkie talkie'.

what?

E.T. DVD joke.

The police officers' shotguns were CGI'd into walkie-talkies in the scene in which the kids on the bikes fly over top of the police cruisers.

Redlum

Interestingly, on the trailer for the DVD's you can still see the reflection of the snake in the glass. I guess the trailer was probably made before they did any work on it (if they have). I'm all for that anyway, Spielberg would have removed the reflection if he could have back then anyway. Plus I'm looking forward to seeing the scenes that were cut by the BBFC in ToD.
  -  George Lucas

Cecil

oh

i just wasnt sure if it was true or not

MacGuffin

DVDFile Review of the set here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

My online retailer always sends the big stuff out early, and it always takes four days from I get my "Product Sendt" email, until it arrives home. Well, I got my Indy mail last wednsday, so I figured, since it can't come Sunday, it'll have to be here monday. So I go ahead a get all pumped up for a week, and of course it doesn't come.  :evil: Funny, the only times they've delivered "late", was on Fellowship of the Ring Extended, and E.T., two of my most anticipated releases last year. If I get it tomorrow, I'll write a little review for ya.