Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

polkablues

Quote from: Ravi on August 30, 2006, 10:53:18 PM
The cause of his death was not immediately known.

He was 90.

No need to call Columbo in on this one.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

'Psycho' screenwriter Joseph Stefano dies

Joseph Stefano, who wrote the screenplay for Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" and was co-creator of television's science-fiction anthology series "The Outer Limits," has died. He was 84.

Stefano died Aug. 25 at Los Robles Hospital and Medical Center in Thousand Oaks, funeral director Elaine Munoz of Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks said Wednesday. The cause of death wasn't disclosed.

Stefano graduated in 1940 from South Philadelphia High School for Boys and he went to New York as an aspiring entertainer. He played piano, sang, danced and wrote music and lyrics.

He toured with a modern dance troupe and worked temporary jobs as a typist. He met his future bride, Marilyn Epstein, in a bar in Manhattan in 1953.

"I was trying to make a choice on the jukebox and this great-looking man in black jacket, jeans and boots said, 'Play that one, I wrote it,' " she told the Philadelphia Inquirer. They soon married.

Stefano's big television break came in the 1950s when he was hired as a writer for the "Ted Mack Family Hour." He also wrote a number of scripts, including "The Black Orchid," which was made into a 1958 movie starring Sophia Loren and Anthony Quinn.

Stefano then became a scriptwriter for 20th Century Fox in 1960, and he moved to Hollywood. Hitchcock soon had him adapt a Robert Bloch pulp novel for the screen. The movie became "Psycho."

"Bloch's novel started with Marion Crane arriving at the motel and immediately being killed. My feeling was that, since I did not know anything about this girl, I wasn't going to care about her when she was killed. So we backed the story up a bit and learned something about her so that when she was killed, it would have more impact," Stefano once told the Los Angeles Times.

Stefano had her stealing $40,000 from her boss and stopping at the Bates Motel while on the run. Though she has a change of conscience about the money, Crane is knifed to death in a memorable shower sequence.

He wrote several other screenplays, including "The Naked Edge" with Gary Cooper, but Stefano and screenwriter Leslie Stevens turned to TV to produce and write "The Outer Limits," which ran from 1963 to 1965.

Stefano later wrote the 1969 thriller "Eye of the Cat" and co-wrote the comedy "Futz!" that same year with Rochelle Owens.

In the 1970s and 1980s, he wrote TV movies, including "Home for the Holidays" in 1972 and "Snowbeast " in 1977.

Besides his wife, who lives in Agoura Hills, Stefano is survived by his son Dominic. The funeral was private.

:yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry: :yabbse-cry:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Film star Glenn Ford dead at 90

What's messed up is that I thought he had been dead for years until I looked it up on imdb about 2 months ago. 

This happens to me a lot where I think certain actors are dead and then they pop up in something and it freaks me out.  Like when Paul Mazursky was on Curb Your Enthusiasm, I swear I had heard he died in the late 90s sometime.

edison

This is realy sad and horrible

Steve Irwin killed by stingray

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead. It is believed he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest. He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when it happened. Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality today at Batt Reef off Port Douglas. It is understood Irwin was killed around noon, Eastern Australian time. 

Ravi

Quote from: edison on September 03, 2006, 11:41:48 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_en_tv/obit_irwin

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane.

A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its Web site.

Telephone calls to Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, were not immediately answered.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at his Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

Pubrick

Quote from: Ravi on September 04, 2006, 12:18:26 AM

i was sad to hear that, he was a cool guy.

it wasn't exactly a Grizzly Man situation but i thought about it anyway, i think the main difference is Steve Irwin was rich and not crazy.
under the paving stones.

modage

that is really sad and horrible.   :yabbse-sad:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sigur Rós

yeah really sad. He was a cool guy ...actually saw him perform one of his crocodile-shows in Brisbane....still can't help but think that this had to happen sometime. I heard that his death was captured on film...seems like the right way to burn out for good old Stevee

Redlum

Upon reading the headline my initial reaction was just disbeleif and sadness but then I thought God, don't let him have died some mundane, ordinary death crossing the road. He was one of the few people where there had to be more than just statistics at play in determining his fate. Thinking of Steve Irwin, the man with the most advanced immune system in the world, will always bring a smile to my face.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Quote from: Sigur Rós on September 04, 2006, 01:54:50 PMI heard that his death was captured on film...

Irwin pulled barb from chest before death

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Fatally injured by a stingray, Australian "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin pulled its serrated barb out of his chest before losing consciousness and dying, the world-famous naturalist's manager said on Tuesday.

Video footage of the attack shows Irwin swimming above the stingray on the Great Barrier Reef on Monday when it lashed out and speared him in the heart with its barbed tail, manager John Stainton told reporters.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest)," Stainton said after watching the footage.

"He pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. The cameraman had to shut down," he said.

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... it's terrible."

Irwin, 44, the quirky naturalist who won worldwide acclaim as TV's khaki-clad "Crocodile Hunter," was filming a new documentary off Australia's northeastern coast when he was attacked.

Marine experts say stingrays can deliver horrific, agonizing injuries from the toxin-laden barbs, which can measure up to 20 cm (8 in) in length and cause injuries like a knife or bayonet.

"The strongly serrated barb is capable of tearing and rendering flesh," said Dr Bryan Fry, deputy director of the Australian Venom Research Unit.

"It's not the going in that causes the damage, it's the coming out where those deep serrations kind of pull on the flesh, and you end up with a very jagged tear which is quite a pronounced injury," Fry said.

News of Irwin's death shocked Australians and Irwin's millions of fans around the world. Prime Minister John Howard interrupted parliament on Tuesday to pay tribute.

"He was a genuine, one-off, remarkable Australian individual and I am distressed at his death," Howard told parliament.

"We mourn his loss, we're devastated by the tragic circumstances in which he has been taken from us and we send our love and prayers to his grieving family," he said.

"CRIKEY"

Environmental documentary maker Ben Cropp said video of the attack showed Irwin swimming alongside a bull stingray, probably weighing around 100 kg (220 lb). His cameraman was filming in front of the ray, which became frightened and lashed out.

Stingrays are usually placid and only attack in self-defense.

Stainton said the cameraman only became aware of the attack when he noticed Irwin bleeding.

Millions had seen Irwin flirt with death many times as he stalked and played with crocodiles, sharks, snakes and spiders. Stainton said he was struggling to come to terms with the fact that a stingray had killed his friend.

"There's been a million occasions where both of us held our breath and thought we were lucky to get out of that one," Stainton said. "But he just seemed to have a charmed life."

Police said they had examined the footage and would prepare a report for the coroner appointed to determine the cause of death.

Film star Russell Crowe called Irwin the "ultimate wildlife warrior," adding: "He was the Australian we all aspire to be. He touched my heart. I believed in him. I'll miss him."

Known for his catchphrase "Crikey" during close encounters with animals, Irwin made almost 50 documentaries which appeared on the cable TV channel Animal Planet.

U.S.-based television company Discovery Communications, which produces Animal Planet, said it would set up a conservation fund in honor of Irwin, dubbed in one tribute a "modern-day Noah," and planned a marathon showing of his programs.

Discovery said the footage of Irwin's fatal dive might never be broadcast.

Australian newspapers paid tribute to Irwin on Tuesday, while fans including American tourists laid wreaths outside his Australia Zoo in tropical Queensland state.

"We thought he was Superman, that he was indestructible," said an editorial in Sydney's The Daily Telegraph.

"We were wrong"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

This has bummed me out a little more than I would have expected, since I never really watched his shows.

I caught some stuff they were re-running on Animal Planet tonight, and it further bummed me out.  His kids, his wife... He was a passionate man with good ideas, and I believe he knew everything about what he was doing.  Most of what he did, including swimming over the stingray, was probably safer than something like driving while talking on a cell phone.  He could have died doing what he did, or just driving down the road, so even though there will be inevitable "See?  It was bound to happen!" talk, I don't see it that way.  But still, ultimately, it's his wife and kids that gets me the most.

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mm on September 05, 2006, 01:32:05 AM
This has bummed me out a little more than I would have expected
that seems to be the general reaction among everyone i've talked to.

i've avoided TV since yesterday cos of the countless tributes, i don't think any of them are reflecting the guy as everyone really thought of him here.. that is as some dude who was way more famous overseas than in his home country, and therefore was significant to us for reasons of national identity and practical run-offs like tourism. we all just thought "well that's what the world thinks of us, fine. it could be worse, we could be German."
under the paving stones.

Fernando

Quote from: matt35mm on September 05, 2006, 01:32:05 AM
This has bummed me out a little more than I would have expected, since I never really watched his shows.

I caught some stuff they were re-running on Animal Planet tonight, and it further bummed me out.  His kids, his wife... He was a passionate man with good ideas, and I believe he knew everything about what he was doing.  Most of what he did, including swimming over the stingray, was probably safer than something like driving while talking on a cell phone.  He could have died doing what he did, or just driving down the road, so even though there will be inevitable "See?  It was bound to happen!" talk, I don't see it that way.  But still, ultimately, it's his wife and kids that gets me the most.

My thoughts exactly.

I saw too those shows on AP yesterday and I'll only add that besides what you said about his wife and kids it also got me that the guy was full of life and happiness, and that I didn't knew anything about him at all, maybe because I always associate the word hunter with killing, which he clearly never did, by the contrary he was a full time environmentalist. I miss him already.  :yabbse-sad:

grand theft sparrow

I'm with matt35mm on this one.  The more I think about it, the more it really makes me sad.  It's almost like when Jim Henson died.  It's really awful to see people who do so much good die not of natural causes after living 100 years.  I really liked the Croc Hunter and not in an ironic kind of a way.  I found him thoroughly entertaining though I haven't watched his show in a couple of years.  And to know now how much of an environmentalist he was makes it suck that much more that he's gone.

One of my friends put it perfectly on his blog.

Steve "the croc hunter" Irwin has died but the creators of JACKASS are still alive. WTF?

Pubrick

Quote from: hackspaced on September 05, 2006, 10:51:14 AM
One of my friends put it perfectly on his blog.

Steve "the croc hunter" Irwin has died but the creators of JACKASS are still alive. WTF?

that's just horse puckey. oh wait i see the irony now, i thought he was dissing jackass.
under the paving stones.