Robert Rodriguez

Started by metroshane, August 21, 2003, 11:01:57 AM

MacGuffin

Future or past for Rodriguez?
Source: Hollywood Reporter

"Grindhouse" might have taken a drubbing at the boxoffice, but director Robert Rodriguez is very much in demand. He is in talks to direct a live-action feature version of futuristic 1960s cartoon "The Jetsons" for Warner Bros. Pictures, being produced by Denise Di Novi and Donald De Line.

At the same time, the helmer has met with Will Ferrell and Universal execs for helming duties on "Land of the Lost," based on the 1970s Sid and Marty Krofft fantasy TV series to which Ferrell is attached to star.

While no offers have been made, sources say "Jetsons" has the edge because its script, whose latest draft is by Adam Goldberg ("Fanboys"), is further along. One possible hurdle the studios will have to contend with is Rodriguez and the DGA.

Rodriguez left the guild in March 2004 when it refused his request to share the director's credit with Frank Miller on "Sin City."

Rodriguez could direct a studio movie if he declared himself under "financial core" status with the DGA, paying partial dues but remaining a nonmember.

The whole production would be done under the DGA auspices, with a DGA supervisor on the set. For Endeavor-repped Rodriguez, who is less concerned about such matters, the question is whether he wants to do a space movie or a dinosaur movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rodriguez to direct 'Preacher' pilot?
Comics2Film has heard a few more tidbits of info about the 'Preacher' series at HBO.

Turns out director Howard Deutch is no longer on the project. Deutch, who previously worked with Mark Steven Johnson on 'Grumpier Old Men', had been set to direct the initial episode since the development of the project was announced last November. His attachment raised a few eyebrows among fans as the director is not really known for helming edgy material like a 'Preacher' show would have to be.

So who is lined up to bring Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's shocking tale of angels and demons in the American west to Home Box Office?

Word is Robert Rodriguez is circling the project and he's just one of many top-shelf directors interested in the series.

Will having the man behind the brilliant 'Sin City' adaptation at the helm assuage the fears of fans who blanched at the notion of the Johnson writing and producing the project?

The question may be moot, as our sources tell us HBO still has not committed to the show. Last week we told you how to shout out to HBO and tell them to greenlight 'Preacher'.

Well, if you're excited about Robert Rodriguez getting involved with the project now is the time to act.

Our sources say the project is "on the one yard line". Only you can push it into the end zone, fans.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

Did you guys know he has a kids movie opening today? I sure didn't until just now.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

Quote from: Stefen on August 21, 2009, 09:05:51 AM
Did you guys know he has a kids movie opening today? I sure didn't until just now.

I did and I heard its a pretty good kids movie, so it sucks that it didn't get any marketing against Basterds, also considering the connection between Rodriguez and Tarantino. It opens in more than 3,000 screens too.

socketlevel

Quote from: kal on August 21, 2009, 01:32:29 PM

I did and I heard its a pretty good kids movie, so it sucks that it didn't get any marketing against Basterds, also considering the connection between Rodriguez and Tarantino. It opens in more than 3,000 screens too.

all of his kids movies are marketed for content not film maker, because it's perceived as a mixed message.  it would say something like, "from the people that brought you spy kids" if anything
the one last hit that spent you...

RegularKarate

Quote from: socketlevel on August 21, 2009, 01:52:28 PM
Quote from: kal on August 21, 2009, 01:32:29 PM

all of his kids movies are marketed for content not film maker, because it's perceived as a mixed message.  it would say something like, "from the people that brought you spy kids" if anything

and it did... I'm surprised you guys didn't see anything for this.  The trailer has been in front of every movie I've seen this summer this year.  Granted, I live in Austin, but still.

Kal

That was my point, I didnt mean it should have been marketed against Tarantino because its Rodriguez, I meant it was the kids-frlendly alternative for the weekend. Considering that there havent been other kids films since Harry Potter, it could have been successful but because of the lack of marketing I'm not sure. I have not seen the trailer. They told me it was in front of Harry Potter which is great, but I didn't see it anywhere else.

MacGuffin

'Machete Kills' Director Robert Rodriguez Says Sequel Takes Series 'To Another Level'
The filmmaker hopes to handle directing duties himself for "Machete Kills," which will immediately precede another highly-anticipated sequel, "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For."
Source: THR

As previously reported by THR, Robert Rodriguez is finally set to direct a sequel to Sin City entitled A Dame to Kill For. But before the filmmaker steps back into comic creator Frank Miller's bleak, black & white world, Rodriguez is scheduled to shoot a different sequel – Machete Kills, a follow-up to his 2010 grindhouse tribute Machete. Although he shared directing duties with Ethan Maniquis on the original, he told THR he'd like to take Machete Kills on by himself, if possible.

"Currently I am directing it," Rodriguez said during an interview about the Blu-ray release of his second feature film, Roadracers. "But we're checking to see if there's going to be the need for another director if I have to go off and do Sin City. I wasn't sure what the timing on Sin City was or if I would have to step off to do Sin City at a certain point, depending on when Machete went. But Machete looks like it's going to go pretty quickly so it's possible that I will direct the whole thing."

Potential schedule conflicts notwithstanding, Rodriguez admitted he would like to do it himself if only because he likes the script so much. "There's so much of it that I want to direct I'll probably end up directing the whole thing," he said. "But if I have to step off, I'm going to try and shoot all of the actors and all of the main sequences. But it's such a fun movie, and it just came out even more fun than I could have imagined."

"I feel like I really need to do it, he reiterated. "It's so subjective I feel like I really need to get in there and do it. It's just a lot of fun; it's a really cool concept, and I think it takes it to another level in a way that's compelling for me to go and do it myself."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Machete Kills' Director Robert Rodriguez Lines Up 'Fire and Ice' After 'Sin City 2'
The prolific filmmaker has two sequels in his immediate future, to be followed by an animated film that pays tribute to the work of iconic artist Frank Frazetta.
Source: THR

Robert Rodriguez is a busy man. Since rebooting his Spy Kids franchise last year, the writer-director has lined up two highly anticipated sequels in his immediate future: Machete Kills and Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. But in an interview with THR on Monday, Rodriguez indicated that he had a third film in development, which is set to start as soon as he's finished with Sin City.

"That's in the works to go right into after Sin City, Frank Frazetta's Fire and Ice," Rodriguez said during a telephone interview in conjunction with the Blu-ray release of his 1994 telefilm Roadracers. "We're almost done with the script; we've got it pretty much 70 percent there. I'm really excited about that one."

First announced during Comic-Con last year, Fire and Ice is a remake of Frazetta and Ralph Bakshi's 1983 animated feature. According to previous reports, Rodriguez said his goal is to re-create the depth and artistry of Frazetta's iconic work. "The whole idea is to make it using the technology I used for Sin City because I want it to be as if you stepped into one of his paintings," Rodriguez told The Playlist last year.

Meanwhile, Rodriguez indicated that his recently announced plans to finally tackle the sequel to Sin City should actually provide him with extra time to get the script for Fire and Ice into shape before the film goes into preproduction.

"I think the timing is going to work out just right, and we'll have a finished script in the next month or so," he said. "So we can start lengthier preproduction and we can go right into preproduction -- well, we're actually in preproduction, sort of, or we've been doing a lot of the previsualization. But that would be the next thing after Sin City."

Rodriguez's Frazetta fandom extends to preservation and celebration of the artist's work; at Comic-Con 2011, he premiered a gallery of original paintings from the artist that are scheduled to be showcased in a gallery in Austin. He said that he was looking forward to breathing new life into Frazetta's artwork and introducing him to a new generation of sci-fi and fantasy fans.

"I'm really excited about that," Rodriguez said. "For Frazetta fans, this will be the ultimate tribute to what he did, and inspired so many people. I think it's going to be pretty powerful when people see it."

Roadracers, a Showtime movie starring David Arquette and Salma Hayek, was released April 17 on Blu-ray.

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

James Cameron Producing 'Alita: Battle Angel' with Robert Rodriguez Directing

QuoteThe movie is based on the Japanese manga and graphic novel series "Battle Angel Alita" by Yukito Kishiro, first published in 1990. The story is set in the 26th century and centers on the title character — an amnesiac female cyborg who is rescued from a scrapyard by a doctor, who names her after his deceased cat. The rebuilt Alita, remembering only her training in a deadly martial art, becomes a hunter-warrior, tracking down and eliminating vicious criminals.

The film will explore a young woman's journey of self-discovery and finding love.

"Robert and I have been looking for a film to do together for years, so I was pumped when he said he wanted to do 'Battle Angel,'" Cameron said. "He's very collaborative and we're already like two kids building a go-kart, just having fun riffing creatively and technically. This project is near and dear to me, and there's nobody I trust more than Robert, with his technical virtuosity and rebel style, to take over the directing reins. We're looking forward to learning a lot from each other while we make a kick-ass epic."

QuoteCameron and Landau, who will produce for Fox under their Lightstorm Entertainment banner, are also currently in pre-production on the three "Avatar" sequels.

jenkins

it appeared Dec 8 and i just realized

July 20, 2018 release date