Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

modage

Quote from: tremoloslothHonestly they should take a cue from the Strokes and never evolve musically.  Just my opinion

because amnesiac was a real evolution from kid a?  but, seriously they could take a cue from the strokes and try to write a catchy song someone could remember again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

Amnesiac was released less than a year from Kid A, and yes, there was more to it than Kid A.  As far as catchy goes, well, I remember a lot of bad songs too.  A lot.
I like to hug dogs

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: tremoloslothHonestly they should take a cue from the Strokes and never evolve musically.  Just my opinion

because amnesiac was a real evolution from kid a?  but, seriously they could take a cue from the strokes and try to write a catchy song someone could remember again.

I think Myxamatosis is very catchy.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Newtron

Is this Radiohead Vs The Strokes, or Trem Vs themodernage?

'Cause either way, we all know there is only one Winner (^_^).

modage

i didnt bring the strokes into this. and its more than a little silly to randomly compare two things that have nothing to do with each other.(matrix vs kill bill!) sure the beatles were great, but that doesnt make the ramones worthless.

newtron, have you seen the new strokes video?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I don't understand why we're comparing a flash in the pan retro buzz group like the Strokes with Radiohead?

On the subject of Radiohead: does anyone here watch Adult Swim?  If you do, did you watch it last night (Sunday)?  Do you know what the deal was with them showing the setlist for the Atlanta Radiohead concert?  I know that people that run Adult Swim and Space Ghost and stuff are based out of Atlanta.

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarateI don't understand why we're comparing a flash in the pan retro buzz group like the Strokes with Radiohead?

I think Radiohead are at least as "retro" as The Strokes, but they seem to have a penchant for interpreting their prog-rock and jazz influences in the most dreary, self-indulgent, dull manner possible. They cultivate a lifeless, muttered sound and dour, crabby image. Hence, they're about 1/10 the fun of the Strokes.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sleuth

I can't believe you listen to Radiohead and expect to party hard.  Was Creep misleading you from the start?
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: tremoloslothI can't believe you listen to Radiohead and expect to party hard.  Was Creep misleading you from the start?

I never listen to anything with the expectation of, um, "partying hard." Not even Pulp's "Party Hard." How did you derive that from what I said?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Sleuth

Your final verdict seems to be entirely aesthetic-based (and a shallow one at that).  Please prove me wrong, Smiths Sage
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

This is the Strokes:  "La La La Every song sounds the same LA LA LA"

This is Radiohead: "BAM!!! Welcome to real music, bitch!"

they really shouldn't be compared though... who's lame brain idea was this?

godardian

Quote from: tremoloslothYour final verdict seems to be entirely aesthetic-based (and a shallow one at that).  Please prove me wrong, Smiths Sage

You must explain further what you mean by "shallow." What are your verdicts based on? Do you think it's shallow to have an aesthetic (broad, broad term that) standard to which you hold music and things?

Sleuth

Quote from: RegularKarateThis is the Strokes:  "La La La Every song sounds the same LA LA LA"

I brought it up after themodernage02 insisted that Radiohead sucked.

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: tremoloslothYour final verdict seems to be entirely aesthetic-based (and a shallow one at that).  Please prove me wrong, Smiths Sage

You must explain further what you mean by "shallow." What are your verdicts based on? Do you think it's shallow to have an aesthetic (broad, broad term that) standard to which you hold music and things?

Different music (or any art really) has to be approached differently.  By shallow I meant that you called the Radiohead catalogue a dull and dreary channeling of prog rock and jazz (OKC computer I can see as being prog rock, a few scattered songs here and there can be jazz, but there's so much MORE, and I find Pablo Honey and The Bends to be dull now that they've grown so much).  Besides, I'm reading this as you are completely ignoring the vocals?  And I do like the Strokes, I was merely countering Modern's useless post with another one
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarateThis is the Strokes:  "La La La Every song sounds the same LA LA LA"

To me, every Radiohead song sounds the same:

"Drrooooooooooooooone" (insert fractured trumpet) (insert post-anesthetic muttering) (insert drum loops), then more "droooooooone."

If you can't be bothered to come up with a tune, you shouldn't be making pop music. The Strokes have tunes and, I think, some semblance of energy and joy in making their music. Radiohead have long since abandoned the former and apparently no longer have any aspiration to the latter

I don't think pop music should sound and be spoken of as if it were drudgery to make. And when pop music is drudgery to LISTEN to, well...  :evil:

Any argument that Radiohead are somehow not "pop" music will be ignored, as my mind and ears do not tolerate nitpicking little categories. Metallica is pop, Skeeter Davis is pop, Noel Coward is pop, Limp Bizkit is pop, etc. I believe other distinctions are pointless.

godardian

Quote from: tremolosloth
Besides, I'm reading this as you are completely ignoring the vocals?  

No. The muttering was well covered (I never understood why anyone would think Michael Stipe was muttering his lyrics... but if anyone were to say that of Thom Yorke, I would understand completely). I also have to say that, even though 80% of what I love has been dismissed as "whining" at some point by one ignoramus or another, I have rarely heard something come so close to exactly that as Thom Yorke's resentful-infant-in-a-bath-of-ice-water voice moaning about... well, what? Maybe if he had an interesting, intelligible lyric...