Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Stefen

HTTT was boring, drawn out, and at times, completely silly. It has some good songs, but the best songs on it don't even compare to the worst songs on OKC and The Bends. Those two are the gold standards.

But alas, opinions are like everyones 2nd favorite Radiohead album. Everyone has the wrong one.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

i know it's useless to argue about opinions, especially when i don't hav the time to justify them fully (which i think i can do pretty well), also it's way harder to justify music than movies., IMO! HAHA. but here i go anyway..

for reference, (so) = since okc

Quote from: Stefen on October 15, 2007, 04:16:14 PM
HTTT was boring, drawn out, and at times, completely silly.

not at all, it's still the album i listen to the most (so). the best songs on HTTT rival their best work (so). it's also the most thematically coherent and RICH work they've done (so). that last claim requires further justification that i don't have time to get into until november, but maybe picolas and hedwig can vouch that i hav good reasons.

one thing is certain, there is no way bodysnatchers is the best track on this new one. that sums up our difference i guess, and your leniency on PH. you yearn for the fabled "old days".
under the paving stones.

Stefen

That doesn't explain how the bends is on your second tier. At least put it right below the first tier, but right above the second tier. Put the bends on the bend.

All these douches that showed up (so) (noone here of course) don't give the proper respect to the bends. They treat it like Beverly Hills 90210. Yeah, it's nothing now, but gotdamnit! it was groundbreaking at the time! Have some respect with your shitty haircut!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

brockly

amnesiac is my fav :oops:. every other post-bends album belongs on the second tier for me. they all take me to different places, its hard to pick favourites. the bends has some really good songs and shit but i always felt it had way too much filler eg. high and dry, bones, black star, bullet proof. those are good songs and all (well.. not dry) but they are clearly weaker moments on the album. compared to their later albums where there are no weak moments.

while everyone is ranking rainbows...

1. jigsaw
2. all i need
3. nude
4. reckoner
5. videotape
6. arpeggi
7. 15 step
8. faust arp
9. bodysnatchers
10. house of cards

picolas

i tried ranking but it felt wrong. reckoner was #1, though. at the time.

jtm

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 10, 2007, 02:11:45 AM
Quote from: jtm on October 10, 2007, 01:48:09 AM
hello to all my old online film friends!

is this album iPod-compatible? mine is not recognizing it.

Tranferred and played fine on my iPod.

Welcome back.

shit! i forgot i even posted this question until today.

anyways, it was my stupid iPod that was wigging out. after a restart, all is well... but still, it doesn't surprise me that macguffin is the one who helped me out. you still the man mac!

i love the new album! i dig the electronic stuff for sure, but its great to see them come out with a (for the most part) "guitar driven" album. i was starting to think they gave up on that. if i had to do a ranking (which you all seem to love) i'd rank it under kid a and just under ok comp. my fave song (which changes daily) would be faust arp... gives me the mutha fuckin' chills!

Pubrick

haha this is great. it's the bodysnatchers vs the jigsaws. who will win?

Quote from: Lucid on October 15, 2007, 11:07:26 PM
I've even embraced "15 Step", which passed the test when I found out it makes great running music.

oh totally, and bodysnatchers is great kidnapping music.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Well then start a fucking club.

I must say I don't HATE Jig. I just think it's just on a lower tier. Like the 7th tier. It's not at the bottom! Hey, just think if an airplane hits my tier, at least Jig will make it out and go on to cure cancer, or have children who grow up to be girls who have really hot bods!

SoNowThen

Quote from: Stefen on October 15, 2007, 05:15:18 PM
That doesn't explain how the bends is on your second tier. At least put it right below the first tier, but right above the second tier. Put the bends on the bend.

All these douches that showed up (so) (noone here of course) don't give the proper respect to the bends. They treat it like Beverly Hills 90210. Yeah, it's nothing now, but gotdamnit! it was groundbreaking at the time! Have some respect with your shitty haircut!

The first albums of theirs that I listened to properly were KA and A, so maybe that disqualifies me totally. At any rate, I didn't have the build up or hype brought on by the brilliant OKC, because I never gave a shit about it until that point. So then I went back and listened to everything. Obviously OKC is the best, but I instantly loved TB, and still kept my love of KA and A (totally even, imo, and I never understand why A always gets classed below KA). So HTTT was the only album of theirs I sorta had hype for... but still, remembering I came on board after OKC, I wasn't playing any guessing games, I was just waiting for solid music which I knew they would deliver. Sure, HTTT has some songs that I would single out to play on their own, but they always fit fantastically for me on an album, as an album. And in answer to your earlier post, There There is easily among their best songs. Drunken Punchup is pretty top-tier as well, along with Go To Sleep.

Imo, lol, imho, etc etc...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

grand theft sparrow

I can't wait until some of you guys start having kids.

"Come in here and sit down.  I want to play you something.  It's called OK Computer and it's by a band called Radiohead.  It's important that you hear it but whatever you think of it means nothing because I didn't meet your mother until after In Rainbows came out.  Sorry."

"I spent years of my life raising you and this is the thanks I get.  You put Kid A over Amnesiac?!  GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE!"

modage

HTTT is just too damn long and not in a good way.  there are 4 songs i hate, 2 of which are towards the very beginning of the album as to prevent me from listening to it.  i just made an abbreviated tracklist and it goes a little something like this...

1. 2+2=5
2. Backdrifts
3. Go To Sleep
4. Where I End And You Begin
5. We Suck Young Blood
6. There There
7. I Will
8. A Punch Up At The Wedding
9. Scatterbrain
10. A Wolf At The Door

the new album still easily kicks the ass of this one though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Mod and I have pretty much the exact same taste in music. Although I don't get his undying love for Canadian indie bands and I'm sure he doesn't get my love for mid to late 90's underground hip-hop.

I had no hype for OKC. I loved The Bends, but I wasn't counting down the day till OKC was released. I wasn't really into "rock" music then (No Limit Records for the win!) but after I heard it, it changed my life. I remember going to Hastings and renting Con-Air and while I'm waiting for my mom to finish, I notice OKC and decide to buy it. I can honestly say I am who I am because of that album. It sounds far fetched, but it's the absolute truth. The anticipation I had for Kid A was nothing short of ejaculatory, but when I first heard it, I hated it and I hated Amnesiac even more. It wasn't until the last year I came around to both those albums. I'm the guy that only had 5 discs of the 10 disc set of Towering Above The Rest.

HTTT was a redemption album for me, and it fell flat. Maybe I'll come around to it eventually like I did with Kid A and Amnesiac. I wasn't smart enough to get those albums. Maybe the same can be said about HTTT. My intelligence is weak.

In Rainbows has taken it full circle. It combines the good pre-Kid A stuff with the good post-OKC stuff. It's absolutely perfect.

tpfkabi

Quote from: modage on October 16, 2007, 10:46:25 AM
HTTT is just too damn long and not in a good way.  there are 4 songs i hate, 2 of which are towards the very beginning of the album as to prevent me from listening to it.  i just made an abbreviated tracklist and it goes a little something like this...

1. 2+2=5
2. Backdrifts
3. Go To Sleep
4. Where I End And You Begin
5. We Suck Young Blood
6. There There
7. I Will
8. A Punch Up At The Wedding
9. Scatterbrain
10. A Wolf At The Door

the new album still easily kicks the ass of this one though.

no myxo?
that's the braviest track, most sonically adventurous and my fav.
I will/punch/scatter......that's too soft together.........throw ol Myxo in there.........right after I Will and it will rip your ears off.......... :yabbse-grin:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pozer

im in the jigsaw club.  it has become one of my favoites of theirs.

does it kind of bug anyone that the transitions in between each song were done knowing it was gonna be a downloaded album?  meaning songs just end and never fade into the next.  to me, the only one that hurts is the last two tracks.  jigsaw needed to fade into videotape.  something about that transition is off to me. 

oh, and it needed EXACTLY two more songs somewhere in the mix.

Myxo

Quote from: Pubrick on October 15, 2007, 03:58:00 PMwhat the hell? the audio version is almost exactly the same as the one on the album, apart from some different shit in the beginning and around the "dance dance dance" fade. what you want is LIVE album, with that kind of energy to 11 feel throughout the whole song. that's the main difference between live and album, and that's what kind of killed Punch Up at a Wedding and to a lesser extent Where I End and You Begin on HTTT.

1. OKC, HTTT.
2. ka, amn, tb.
100. ph.

Actually, you're probably right. Having only released one live album, I really crave some of their songs with the energy level they're known for in concert. I'm a huge huge Radiohead fan. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely enjoy the recorded stuff. But they are an example of a band who I personally feel are much better on tour than they are on albums. I can name quite a few bands where the opposite is true.