Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

homesick alien

OK Computer is my favorite album of all time. It really helped me get through the last two years of my small-town high school hell. I think, within the context of the time, The Bends-OK Computer-Kid A is on par with Rubber Soul-Revolver-Sgt. Pepper, in that each following album was a significant leap, but still retained the core heart and soul of the band. I thought Amnesiac got a bad wrap. I really love most of the songs on the album, and I guess I'd then compare it to Magical Mystery Tour as an album that doesn't necessarily stand as a coherent album whole but rather a collection of excellent singles. It's actually Hail to the Thief I had a bit of a problem with. It certainly isn't a bad album, but I thought many songs were too repetitive structurally and Thom's lyrics at points just weren't saying anything. Still, the album starts and closes wonderfully.

My hopes and expectations for LP7 are uncontrollably astronomical. I think every Radiohead fan wants it to blow them away like The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A. They've set the bar too high perhaps, and we're all looking for them to jump over it.

Pozer

Neil

so, does anyone else have this "down is the new up" a friend brought this over with stars in his eyes. I've never heard the tracks before, and they grew on me for sure. this ring any bells?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2007, 01:44:59 PM
so, does anyone else have this "down is the new up" a friend brought this over with stars in his eyes. I've never heard the tracks before, and they grew on me for sure. this ring any bells?

the song was played on their last tour, but a studio version has not been released. i just checked at ease and there is no mention of a leak of the new album that i see. the album was being mastered in new york a month ago. here is a good update on what is known:

http://ateaseweb.com/discography/newalbum/
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

Theres a bootleg called Down Is The New Up that basically has live versions of all the songs that are supposed to be on the new album. I think that's what he's talking about.

It's pretty good. Videotape is beautiful and 15 step is alot of fun.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Radiohead's new album is finished...now what?
Source: Paste Magazine

Radiohead fans waiting patiently for the band's next album may not have to wait too much longer – or they may.

First, the good news: Guitarist Jonny Greenwood confirmed to Paste that the album is done. The not-so-good news is that the band has no idea when fans will be able to hear it.

"We just had a meeting about that today," said Greenwood on September 7. "We're very relieved to have finished recording, now we have to decide what we should do with it."

Radiohead completed its six-album contract with EMI with 2003's Hail to the Thief and is currently unsigned. Can anyone say bidding war?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

tpfkabi

has anyone ever got ahold of the PT directed video for We Suck Young Blood?

Stefen

Kal and cbrad should use their powers for good and sign Radiohead.

Sound investment if you ask me.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

©brad

Quote from: Stefen on September 07, 2007, 04:44:28 PM

dude why do you think i'm this uber-millionaire? guess what - i'm not.  just this morning i put a $2 bagel on a credit card.

and the fact that you work in advertising really makes me not want to work in advertising anymore.

Stefen

Quote from: ©brad on September 07, 2007, 06:36:05 PM
Quote from: Stefen on September 07, 2007, 04:44:28 PM

dude why do you think i'm this uber-millionaire? guess what - i'm not.  just this morning i put a $2 bagel on a credit card.

and the fact that you work in advertising really makes me not want to work in advertising anymore.

It's a joke, Igby.

I just remember a post of yours one time where you were all upset because your father wanted you to work at his firm making 6 figures but you just wanted to work on independant movies making pennies and you made it sound like it was the most difficult decision you've ever had to make in your life and it stuck with me. No big deal.

And putting a $2 bagel on a credit card proves that you're a millionaire.

You'd rather take the hit of 12% interest on a $2 bagel than waste time going to an ATM.

Come on, you walked right into that one.

sickfins

Quote from: bigideas on September 07, 2007, 04:12:07 PM
has anyone ever got ahold of the PT directed video for We Suck Young Blood?

it doesn't exist!

"I visited [Radiohead] one day in the studio and brought an old Lumiere camera down to play with - but we never shot anything. That would have been great and should happen someday. If you listen to that song, it would fit nicely with that Nosferatu-feeling you can get with that particular camera -- that song has dracula written all over it."

tpfkabi

I thought he said once that he actually shot one, but they had no purpose of putting it out.

Someone direct me to the PTA/Radiohead related interviews please.

**edit**

a link i found quoting Xixax, although Thom does not actually say they filmed it, just that they "wanted to." so only PTA and Radiohead really know i guess.

http://www.kempa.com/blog/archives/000860.html

"Paul Thomas Anderson came into the studio and he brought this camera with him, it was exactly the same camera model that they shot the Nosferatu in, basically this camera is a box and you wind it, and you have to have a tempo to wind it to and if you wind it fast or slow you get this extraordinary movement, and we wanted to shoot this really over the top vaudeville b-movie thing with it, because that to me is partly where it was coming from, and also it was really sick and sexual in a really peverse way, very L.A. as far as I'm concerened. I think that was the reason why we went to L.A., because 'we suck young blood' was our take on Hollywood really. in fact, we went out to a party that night everyone was dressed as mad hatters, it just fit completely. we went to this place, it was just... [whispers] you people are so silly. and it was like that's how they dressed every day to create an impression. it was brilliant. we felt like old people, maybe we'd missed something."

mogwai

Radiohead catalogue finally available for download

Radiohead's catalogue is finally being made available for digital download for the first time.

The move comes as the band's record label EMI struck an exclusive UK deal with digital retailer 7digital, which covers classic albums including 'The Bends' and 'OK Computer'.

The group are to make their albums only available as 'complete bundles', preventing tracks from being bought individually, preferring their albums to be heard and sold as complete entities.

7digital is now offering all of Radiohead's albums and a number of earlier singles for sale as bundled DRM (Digital Rights Management)-free MP3s.

http://www.7digital.com/artists/radiohead

note: i know it's british but it's the early singles that sparked an interest.

modage

they were available on iTunes for a while.  don't tell me i'm crazy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.