Robert Altman's "The Company"

Started by cine, April 03, 2003, 06:05:11 PM

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinHayek & Franco in Robert Altman's Ultraviolet

Variety says that Robert Altman (The Company) will dissect the back-stabbing New York art scene in his next movie Ultraviolet.

Sounds delicious.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: MacGuffinHayek & Franco in Robert Altman's Ultraviolet

Variety says that Robert Altman (The Company) will dissect the back-stabbing New York art scene in his next movie Ultraviolet.

Sounds delicious.

Yeah it does...the title is so cool. And Salma Hayek is gorgeous, it'll be cool to see her in a robert altman film.

cowboykurtis

i saw a sneek screening for THE COMPANY in chicago last night -- im not going to say anything about it, accpet i really really liked it... in a way a throw back to nashville.
...your excuses are your own...

soixante

Altman is 78 years old, and he's got The Company out later this year, and he's shooting Ultraviolet this fall.  And he hasn't mellowed with age -- Gosford Park is his best film since Short Cuts.  His output is amazing -- 8 films in the past 10 years.  There are a few dogs, like Ready to Wear and Gingerbread Man, but his batting average is pretty good.  The Company sounds like vintage Altman.
Music is your best entertainment value.

©brad

Quote from: soixanteAltman is 78 years old, and he's got The Company out later this year, and he's shooting Ultraviolet this fall.  And he hasn't mellowed with age -- Gosford Park is his best film since Short Cuts.  His output is amazing -- 8 films in the past 10 years.  There are a few dogs, like Ready to Wear and Gingerbread Man, but his batting average is pretty good.  The Company sounds like vintage Altman.

totally.

Ernie

Quote from: cbrad4d
Quote from: soixanteAltman is 78 years old, and he's got The Company out later this year, and he's shooting Ultraviolet this fall.  And he hasn't mellowed with age -- Gosford Park is his best film since Short Cuts.  His output is amazing -- 8 films in the past 10 years.  There are a few dogs, like Ready to Wear and Gingerbread Man, but his batting average is pretty good.  The Company sounds like vintage Altman.

totally.

Well, hopefully. I don't like Gosford Park much, Short Cuts is the last thing by Altman that I really really loved...I hated Dr. T too. This and Ultraviolet really do sound intriguing though, more so than Gosford Park or Dr. T ever did.

EL__SCORCHO

Yeah i'm not much into [safe] myself.

cine

Anybody getting the feeling that Altman is fucking immortal? I mean he's 78 years of age and he just doesn't stop making movies. I doubt it's stressful for him anyhow since he so masterfully and effortlessly makes them.. but its like the man is absolutely healthy... its just going to be horror if he suddenly passes away or something.. Just at this age making great films non stop.. like its too good to be true.  Okay, I have a pulse. I'm good.

-Cinephile

godardian

Quote from: EL__SCORCHOYeah i'm not much into [safe] myself.

*gasp!* Vulgarian!  :wink:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ono

Let's hope he lives until at least 100 or 105 or something.  Like George Burns or Bob Hope or something.  Shit, another twenty, twenty-five years of Altman movies?  Hey, I can live with that.  :)

MacGuffin

New Altman Film to Premiere in Toronto

TORONTO (AP) - Robert Altman's new film, "The Company,'' will have its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.

Organizers announced the first 25 films to be shown during the Sept. 4-13 festival and said Tuesday the turnout was expected to be normal despite the SARS outbreak in Canada's largest city.

"Nobody is scratching their heads saying, 'We're really worried about sending films or talent to Toronto,''' festival director Piers Handling said. "If I had a sense that people were not sending their films to Toronto because of this particular issue, I'd certainly be on the phone absolutely wanting to clarify that.''

Handling announced the first 25 films to be screened - about 10 percent of the total planned - including festival opener, "The Barbarian Invasions'' by Denys Arcand, and Lars von Trier's "Dogville.''

Arcand's film, his fifth festival entry and third opener, won him the screenwriting award at the Cannes festival, with Marie-Josee Croze receiving the best-actress award. It follows up on his 1986 film, "The Decline of the American Empire.''

Altman's "The Company,'' about the world of ballet, stars and is co-produced by Neve Campbell.

"He continues to astound with his invention,'' Handling said of Altman. "He's constantly challenged our notions of what conventional narrative cinema is.''

Von Trier's "Dogville,'' starring Nicole Kidman, Lauren Bacall and James Caan, will have its North American premiere.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: CinephileThat 'long takes' comment reminds me of something that really pisses me off about the average person: their low attention span.
People who can't watch an Allen, Altman, Kubrick, PTA, Scorsese, etc. movie revert to films like "Armageddon".. and thats unfortunate.

Amen.  
Nashville was Altman at his best, I think.  Short Cuts is a close second...
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

ono

It seems like I'm the only one in the world who hates Nashville with a passion.  First time I watched it, 20 minutes in I was searching for a sledgehammer to destroy the tape.  I came back to it a week or two ago, and got an hour twenty into the DVD version, but it was just as bad.  Shut the thing off and haven't finished it yet.  That movie grates on my every nerve and I haven't once been able to discern what's so great about it.  Altman hit on something with The Player, even though it was mean-spirited.  But all the rest of his movies are sorely lacking heart, unlike PTA.

The reason I was so enthusiastic about him making another movie in a previous post is I'm just thirsting for anything of quality.  When an alleged "auteur" like him is up to something, you always expect good.  But Gosford Park wasn't good either, so for now, it's only Short Cuts and The Player that have moderately interested me.  The Company and Ultraviolet sound great.  I still think Altman is too cynical, though.

SoNowThen

Nashville is a gem.

Maybe it's the music that puts you off...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

I admit, the music is a BIG part of why I don't like it.  Like fuckin' nails on a blackboard or something.  But the bigger problem I had with it was the idiotic patriotism pervading the picture.  Nauseating, really.  And the characters.  Ugh.  Every single one of them was an abomination of a human being.  Lily Tomlin's character was the only one I sort of liked.  She had the deaf kids, IIRC.  But of course, she's having an affair!  These aren't real people.  They're soap opera characters.

Heh, maybe I should watch with the volume muted and the subtitles on.  When I read Kael ranting and raving about this movie, I knew I was missing something.  But maybe Kael and Ebert and the rest of them are off.  I am in the minority, though.  I realize this.  And I am 28 years out of touch with the time, but still ... It's just people wading through their cesspools of "country" life, something I can't relate to.  Magnolia was full of people who, for each one of them, save Stanley and Jim, you had a reason to dislike them, but PTA pulled it off and redeemed most of them, and made a three-hour analysis of their lives watchable.  PTA is the anti-Altman.