Weeds (showtime)

Started by squints, January 16, 2006, 09:05:44 PM

MacGuffin

Showtime Orders 15 More Episodes of Weeds
Source: Showtime Networks Inc.

Hot off last month's shocking second season finale of "Weeds" -- the most-watched episode in its history -- Showtime is green lighting 15 new episodes for the third season of the award-winning series, it was announced today by Showtime Network's President of Entertainment, Robert Greenblatt. The network's most watched comedy and critical darling, "Weeds" is a biting and satirical look at the complicated life of a suburban, pot-dealing mother. Produced by Lionsgate in association with Tilted Productions, "Weeds" stars Mary-Louise Parker, Elizabeth Perkins, Tonye Patano, Romany Malco, Justin Kirk and Kevin Nealon. Created and executive produced by Emmy® Award winner Jenji Kohan, the series will resume production in Los Angeles in spring 2007 for a summer premiere.

"'Weeds' is quintessential Showtime: bold, provocative, premium television with production values at the top of the food chain," says Greenblatt. "This acclaimed show will be the centerpiece of our comedy strategy for several years to come, though labeling it just a comedy doesn't do it justice. It combines comedy and pathos in a way that seems to represent real life better than almost any show out there."

"'Weeds' continues to surpass all our expectations and we're delighted about the pick-up," says Kevin Beggs, Lionsgate's President of Television Programming and Production. "The talent -- both in front of and behind the camera -- is extraordinary, and we're excited about our continuing relationship with Showtime, which has gone above and beyond to support the unique creative vision of the series since day one."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: ©brad on October 16, 2006, 09:42:56 PM
you guys, this is the last time i'll say this-- you have to watch this show. it's the best writing on TV, by far. it's worth whatever you have to pay monthly for showtime.

You've berated me enough.  I picked up season 1 today.  I've watched 5 episodes so far and while I don't think its "the best writing on TV, by far" it is pretty good. 

No matter what Romany Malco does, I'll always know him as MC Hammer.

Pubrick

that's pretty much what i thought at the first 5 episodes. and it stays consistent throughout the first season, that is until the SEASON FINALE.

without spoiling anything, the last episode of season one redeems all the faults that had accumulated in my mind about what preceded it. there's stuff i don't like, the andy character for one, i loathed everything about him and it was great when she started kicking him out of the house.. too bad he didn't leave. i still don't see that he's entirely necessary, but he is needed around the house as another "adult" i suppose. the second thing that bothered me was the depiction of the black family.. it was completely unrealistic. now obviously this isn't The Wire, but the problem stems from the contrast with the show's strength --- that is, the show specializes in depicting a generic RICH WHITE neighbourhood, and that's what it's all about.. so when she enters the black neighbourhood there is just a lack of wit, it's not interested in being clever about black ppl, so it makes them and their surroundings boring at best and ridiculous at worst.

the final episode tho, that's a brilliant bit of television. i just hope it keeps the momentum of it in the second season, cos the first only felt like it was settling in.

oh and mary louise parker is just perfect.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: Pubrick on December 24, 2006, 10:38:03 PMi just hope it keeps the momentum of it in the second season, cos the first only felt like it was settling in.

yeah the first season moves at a snail's pace in comparison to the second one. such is true for many tv shows that are more character-driven in their debut season.

it's funny, i thought andy would be one character you would love! hahah.

pumba

wow. Watched all of season 1 last week. I thought the first two episodes were weak - but the rest of the season was really good. And the writing consistantly gets better...

And then...peekvid.com has all of season 2, and holy shit I cannot promote this show enough.

Season 2 is beyond the best writing on television. The dialogue is so well written...it makes me want to cry...and then watch more...and then eat pie...and then wack it.

Oh. The season finale is FAMZING (fucking amazing).
GO WATCH!!!!

Pubrick

Quote from: shnorff on January 26, 2007, 07:38:09 PM
Oh. The season finale is FAMZING (fucking amazing).
GO WATCH!!!!
better than the season 1 finale? cos that's the only reason i'm gonna watch season 2.

a dude i know had the same reaction too, season one unfortunately takes a lot of faith to get through, it's not BAD but some episodes are just not that encouraging. i'm definitely stealing season 2 somehow. i would never watch anything on youtube unless it was absolutely my last resort. i'd rather watch things on my ass really, with a mirror on the ground and everything.
under the paving stones.

©brad

season 2 takes it to a whole new level. steal it dude.

squints

so i'm watching the second season finally on the wonderful www.tv-links.co.uk
kevin nealon has restored my faith in humanity
my favorite line:
"When does cpr become necrophelia?"
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Olsen inks for role on Showtime's 'Weeds'
Series is 1st major solo role
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Mary-Kate Olsen is returning to television with a co-starring role on Showtime's dark comedy "Weeds."

On the Lionsgate-produced show, Olsen will play Tara, a devoted Christian girl living in the newly developed megachurch community Majestic who becomes a love interest for Nancy Botwin's (Mary-Louise Parker) son Silas (Hunter Parrish). Olsen will appear in 10 of the 15 episodes of the show's third season.

"I'm thrilled to be a part of the show," Olsen said. "It's really an honor to be a part of such a talented group of actors and writers."

"Weeds" marks Olsen's first major solo role. Since their debut on ABC's hit comedy series "Full House" at age 9 months, Olsen and her twin sister, Ashley, have starred together in a string of kids and tween-oriented series and movies for television and video.

Olsen's role on the edgy Showtime series about a pot-dealing mom (Parker) also is a departure from the wholesome, PG characters she and her sister have played and opens a new chapter in her acting career.

" 'Weeds' isn't your 8 o'clock family fare," series creator and executive producer Jenji Kohan said. "It's an adult show with adult subject matter, and we're confident Mary-Kate is right for the role. She came in and read with Hunter and was absolutely charming and real and seemed like a great fit. Audiences have seen only one side of Mary-Kate, but here we'll see her in a whole new light."

In addition to Olsen, joining the "Weeds" cast this upcoming season is previously announced Matthew Modine (HR 5/4). The series' Season 3 premieres Aug. 13.

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who serve as co-presidents of Dualstar Entertainment Group, most recently starred in the 2004 feature comedy "New York Minute," which the two also produced.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pumba

Weaaaaakkkkkkkkkk (sarcasm)

elpablo

the first two episodes of season three have leaked online

i'm just saying is all

diggler

pretty convenient how the first two episodes of this and the first two episodes of dexter have leaked in the same week
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

©brad

yeah the first 4 episodes of season 2 leaked before the season premiere last year.

getting my season 2 dvd today!

Neil

I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW.

i cannot wait until i see the third season...anyone caught any episodes(if it's even out)?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Ravi

Quote from: Neil on August 29, 2007, 11:54:39 AM
i cannot wait until i see the third season...anyone caught any episodes(if it's even out)?

Quote from: elpablo on July 23, 2007, 10:32:41 PM
the first two four episodes of season three have leaked online