Aimee Mann and Michael Penn - the official thread

Started by filmcritic, July 07, 2003, 11:41:44 AM

filmcritic

As many of you know, Aimee Mann and Michael Penn are married and they both do a lot of music for PTA. But even their music that wasn't in his films are still great. They both do similar music, but they're also a little different. Penn is a little more upbeat than Mann. My favorite Mann album is "Lost in Space" and my favorite Penn album is "MP4". Anyways, begin discussion! :changes:
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

filmcritic

Well, that's more of a Til Tuesday thread more than anything. But this is the Aimee Mann and Michael Penn thread - OFFICIALY!
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

SoNowThen

I really wish there was a score of Michael Penn's work on Hard Eight. It's a great little soundtrack.

For the record, I think Aimee is brilliant. Favs are I'm With Stupid and Lost In Space. I've held off on Bachelor No. 2, because a lot is on the Magnolia soundtrack. Is it worth buying, even though I'm doubling songs?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

filmcritic

Well, there's no official one. But you can make the soundtrack on an mp3 and then you have the music on CD and can listen to it anytime you want. So, you can make it official.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

jokerspath

Quote from: filmcriticmy favorite Penn album is "MP4"

Really?  I was lucky enough to pick this up for free but it never sunk in.  I do like that whole subtitle thing though: Days Since A Lost Time Accident

What are the highlight songs?

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

filmcritic

With Mann and Penn you sometimes have to let the music sink in by listening to it over and over. I really liked "Lucky One", "The Whole Truth", "Beautiful", "Bucket Bragade" and "Perfect Candidate".
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

filmcritic

I also really loved their duets together.

"Christmastime" was excellent!

I also burned many acoustic versions of their music off of Kazaa Lite. And I made a whole CD of them doing duets to a lot of their songs in concert. Like them both singing "Voices Carry", "Save Me", "Wasn't Made For These Times", "The Whole Truth" and "No Myth". 8)
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

aclockworkjj

Michael Penn's March is worth checking out if you can find it anywhere.....

filmcritic

Yeah, it's really good. I found mine at Borders.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

filmcritic

Maybe She's Just Looking For
Someone To Dance With
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Myxo

I saw Aimee Mann in Portland shortly after she released "Bachleor No. 2" I believe it is called. Magnolia had JUST stopped playing at most theatres. Michael Penn was at the show as well. She is really great. Great vocals, great lyrics. Great all-around! After the show I had dinner at the local diner near the spot where they played. Michael Penn was eating dinner right behind us. I had no idea who he was. I do now.

;)

filmcritic

Nothing Worth Saving Our Day
There Was Nothing To Say
But You Said Something Anyway
Claiming I Stepped Out Of Line
Which Forced You To Leave Me
As If That Idea Was Mine
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

sexterossa

Quote from: SoNowThenI really wish there was a score of Michael Penn's work on Hard Eight. It's a great little soundtrack.

For the record, I think Aimee is brilliant. Favs are I'm With Stupid and Lost In Space. I've held off on Bachelor No. 2, because a lot is on the Magnolia soundtrack. Is it worth buying, even though I'm doubling songs?

yes. you must buy it for RED VINES alone.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

modage

this thread seems unofficial!  *(blows whistle). :oops:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: themodernage02this thread seems unofficial!  *(blows whistle). :oops:

hehe....official thread! Filmcritic you are such a dramaqueen!