Mel Brooks

Started by cine, September 02, 2003, 05:27:56 AM

cine

Not talked about enough. Great comic director. My favourites: The Producers, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and Silent Movie.

What's everyones favourite Brooks film? (I'm expecting a lot of Spaceballs)

Cecil

cine

:)
I should clarify before there's a slew of those responses.. films he directed.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Cinephile

..yep that one and Blazing Saddles are 1,2:2,1

cine

I feel he went downfall as a filmmaker after Silent Movie.. the movies were funny, but the comedic brilliance was released in his movies of the 60's/70's.

aclockworkjj

Blazin' Saddles is prolly my fav ...

There are so many great lines in it too.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: CinephileNot talked about enough. Great comic director. My favourites: The Producers, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and Silent Movie.

when did he jump the shark i think men in tights was the last OK one spaceballs was fun but silly but after men in tights, he just fell off the map

then came broadway

cine

It was unfortunate for the broadway show to lose L.S.D. (who was Brooks' favourite character and mine), but since it would've been awfully dated, I'm glad with how they revised it. It was a great, hilarious production. Didn't win a record setting number of Tonys for nothing.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: CinephileIt was unfortunate for the broadway show to lose L.S.D. .

i thought nathan lane was on something that night i saw the show , i just assumed it was a bad batch of poppers

snaporaz

i get seriously annoyed by the constant jew-references. and the ending to blazing saddles sucked ass.

i like young frankenstein, though.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: snaporazi get seriously annoyed by the constant jew-references. and the ending to blazing saddles sucked ass.
jeez....he offends every possible race, creed, species in this flick....I guess it all depends on what yer own little years hear  thou.

cine

Quote from: snaporazi get seriously annoyed by the constant jew-references.  

Why is this?  Brooks is famously Jewish and is the best man at making those jokes as he's done them since the beginning of "The 2000 Year Old Man". So is it just a personal pet peeve or what?

Finn

I loved Blazing Saddles!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Alethia

my faves: blazing saddles (i love the farting scene, hehe), young frankenstein ("what hump?") silent movie (          ), spaceballs ("i bet she gives great helmet."), robin hood ("who wants a circumcision?" "i'll have two!"), and am I the only one who actually liked dracula: dead and loving it?

well those r the only ones i've seen of his.  those and high anxiety, which i didn't like.

MacGuffin

The Producers Moving Forward to the Big Screen
Source: Variety

Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane have reached deals to bring The Producers, Mel Brooks' hit Broadway show, to the big screen for Universal Pictures. The two stars, who just began their second Broadway run, have signed deals to star in a film adaptation. Filming is set to start in early 2005, with a late 2005 release planned.

Universal Pictures has acquired domestic rights for the feature adaptation which will now become both an adaptation of the Broadway play and a remake of Brooks' 1968 film, which starred Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel.

Other key members behind the stage show are also said to be on board, including Brooks, who will produce, his co-writer Thomas Meehan, and Susan Stroman to helm.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks