David Bowie

Started by bonanzataz, September 10, 2003, 08:40:14 PM

godardian

I saw this tour in Seattle a couple of months ago, in a small (for Bowie) venue; he's coming back to the arena in a couple of months, but one extravagantly high-priced ticket is enough for me, per year.

It was a good show and, yes, very stripped-down. An excellent, excellent set list, where even the clunkers from the newer albums sounded interesting. He did a great many Low tracks, "Ziggy Stardust," "Suffragette City," etc. Bonus surprises: "All the Young Dudes" and a cover of "White Light/White Heat."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

yeah, i saw him in december. for an old dude, he puts on a great show. when i originally posted the first message, i was in a phase where i could only listen to bowie b/c everything else sounded like shit. anybody else ever go through that?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: taz.yeah, i saw him in december. for an old dude, he puts on a great show. when i originally posted the first message, i was in a phase where i could only listen to bowie b/c everything else sounded like shit. anybody else ever go through that?

Still going through it, sort of.

I got into Bowie about 4 years ago or so and I can't get through a day without listening to him. Not everything else sounds like shit but sometimes, when I put on something else other than Bowie, I find myself turning that off and putting Bowie back on because nothing else satisfies.

Just Withnail

I'm going wild in anticipation to seeing him at Roskilde this year.

Kal

He is awsome... love him... He will have a concert in Miami next month and I already have backstage passes... woohoo!

I went once to see him already in Argentina a few years ago. His show in Argentina was supposed to last 1 and a half hours... it was all about the Earthling album, and when he finished and came back to make a final song, he ended up playing like 9 other songs, all oldies... it was AMAZING!

Sigur Rós

Quote from: WithnailI'm going wild in anticipation to seeing him at Roskilde this year.

haha, me too. Remember to wear that xixax t-shirt like last year!

Just Withnail

Quote from: Zigur Róz
Quote from: WithnailI'm going wild in anticipation to seeing him at Roskilde this year.

haha, me too. Remember to wear that xixax t-shirt like last year!

Yeah  :-D   Maybe we could meet up or something?

MacGuffin

David Bowie: Take My Songs

London (AP) - David Bowie has invited fans to bootleg his music - and he's offering prizes for the most creative theft.

The musician's Web site urges fans to mix classic Bowie songs with material from his latest album, "Reality," to create a "mash-up" - a track that uses vocals from one song superimposed over the backing tracks of another.

Developments in music software has made the technique long employed by record producers easily accessible to thousands of "bedroom DJs" - a fact that has alarmed record companies battling for control of Internet music distribution.

But Bowie, 57, was quoted as saying in Monday's editions of The Times of London newspaper that mash-ups were "a great appropriation idea waiting to happen."

"Being a hybrid maker off and on over the years, I'm very comfortable with the idea and have been the subject of quite a few pretty good mash-ups myself," the newspaper quoted him as saying.

The music software needed for the task can be downloaded from Bowie's Web site, along with tracks from his new album.

Following the end of the contest on May 17, Bowie will choose the winning track, and it will be released as an MP3 single. The winner will also get a new car.

The mash-up technique gained prominence with "The Gray Album," a blend of The Beatles and Jay-Z by an American DJ known as Danger Mouse.

A reported 1 million copies were downloaded from the Internet before it was blocked by record company EMI in February.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sigur Rós

Quote from: WithnailYeah  :-D   Maybe we could meet up or something?

Hey, that could be cool. I just bought my ticket.

Sorry about the late answer.

Can someone recommend albums ?
His catalog is huge and I am a disabled ignorant, I need guidance - Bowie fans,  you know who you are! help.
context, context, context.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: cronopioCan someone recommend albums ?
His catalog is huge and I am a disabled ignorant, I need guidance - Bowie fans,  you know who you are! help.

you might want to ask around but..........here is my guide to bowie
its solid .............and i hope this helps......

albums:

station to station-you have to get this cd just for the title track ..its phucking incredible..the song has badass tempo changes ..really catchy..and its a long song too.........short cd but great al the way through.

diamond dogs-its catchy..great lyrics....everysong is unique........

aladdin sane-jazzy..sh*t.....great tempo changes ...and you get to look cool in front of your friends by owning on eof the most iconic cd covers ever.and the title track rules..trust me....

earthling-this is different ..its very heavy/industrial/techno-ish..cool very cool.....

hours-this is sweet melodic and very "airy" kind of vibe....its one of those cds that if you are on the beach, sun is setting and the cool breeze kicks and the corona beer buzz is firing up while staring at the coast....very mood inducing stuff......lazy pop melody.........

vol.1 outside-this is my personal favorite........

heathen-brilliant brilliant vocals..he still can sing like a motherphucker........this si high quality mature structered art pop ......the song 5:15 angels have gone gives me the chills.....i wish a had a huge poster of this cd cover..its cool.........

hunky dory-if you dont get anything from my list..get this...its great for starters......i did it this way.........its a flawless epic album...every sense of the word "classic".....

the rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars-just like hunky dory.its classic stuff...........

bonus choice:

low-this is part vocal and partr intrumental stuff....very wierd stuff.its like arty bubblely pop/electronica beats.......you got to be in a certian vide to hear.......but if your willing check it out........plus it has the best song title in bowies catalogue."always crashing in the same car"..made w/ iggy pop and heroin...........

Thankee kindly , Neon. I knew you (or godardian) would come to the rescue.
context, context, context.

grand theft sparrow

Neon, your taste in Bowie is impeccable.

Cronopio, I'd also recommend:

Lodger

and Scary Monsters

But only after checking out everything on Neon's list.

MacGuffin

Heart surgery sidelines Bowie
Source: Los Angeles Times

David Bowie is recovering from emergency heart surgery performed last month in Germany, his spokesman said.

The 57-year-old British pop star was found to have an acutely blocked artery that required angioplasty, publicist Mitch Scheider said in a statement. A pinched nerve was initially cited as the cause of shoulder pain that forced Bowie to shorten a June 23 performance in Prague and eventually cancel the remainder of a European tour.

Bowie sought treatment after performaning at a festival in the German town of Scheesel on June 25. He finally left the clinic this week and is convalescing with his family, according to the statement.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

well, Wes Anderson has led me to another artist.
i've got Life on Mars stuck in my head.
i guess i should get Hunky Dory.
does anyone know if there are remasters, special editions, etc and what i should get?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.