Directing Class Project

Started by matt35mm, May 06, 2008, 02:01:49 PM

matt35mm

I haven't been on much recently because I've been busy and I haven't had much access to the Internet in the past few months.

But here's something I've been working on.  I'm in a directing class at school.  Our project is to take a feature-length script and each direct a small portion of it.  I've directed the first scene of a movie called Viridiana, and here it is:

It's 3 minutes long.  I'll post another in a few weeks, as I have another scene from this movie to do in the next few weeks.

Enjoy.

pete

not familiar with the story, but I say put a filter through all of your shots, to give the piece a slightly more timeless feel.  for some reason, the parking sign behind the wall of the church was very distracting to me, not sure if other people will notice though.
the acting was pretty good, I mainly liked the contrast between how the two looked.  the delivery felt a bit rushed (I knew it was supposed to be urgent), and that's a nitpick.  good job.  the shots are great.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

I couldn't watch it with sound, unfortunately, but yea the shots are well-composed, anyway. I really enjoyed how you constructed the first few shots (up to the VIRIDIANA title card shot).

matt35mm

Thanks.

The parking sign bugs me too.  I didn't notice it at all while shooting.  So that's something I've learned: pay attention to the background.

I won't be changing anything in that scene because it's one of two scenes that I have to do for the class, and I'm moving on to the next scene.  If there are any comments or criticisms that you think would be helpful for me in directing the next scene (it's a scene from the same script... something like the 12th scene in the movie), I'd like very much to hear/read those.

matt35mm

Here's the other scene I directed:

It's a later scene from the same script.