Matt Reeves

Started by MacGuffin, May 24, 2011, 05:42:28 PM

MacGuffin

Matt Reeves Signs On To Direct Frankenstein Film 'This Dark Endeavor'
Source: The Playlist

While Matt Reeves hasn't quite decided how he's going to followup the excellent "Let Me In," he's certainly giving himself lots of options. Last month the director signed on to direct two films—the sci-fi "8 O'Clock In The Morning" and the vampire pic "Passage"—and he's staying with the supernatural for yet another film he's putting his name to. Deadline reports that Reeves has signed to direct "This Dark Endeavor," a new spin on the Frankenstein tale. Based on the forthcoming book by Kenneth Oppel, that will be adapted by Jacob Aaron Estes ("Mean Creek," "The Details") the story begins as "Frankenstein's twin Konrad is gravely ill. His brother seeks out a mysterious old alchemist to help him produce the Elixir of Life, a serum that will bestow the gift of perpetual health. You can't order this drink at a pub, and Frankenstein sets out on a dangerous adventure to find the elusive contents. He's accompanied by his best friend Elizabeth, who is sweet on Konrad. Things get complicated among the three of them." The project has franchise potential which is likely why Summit is pushing it forward, as the book is the first in a series. But like the Snow White movies, there is plenty of competition out there, and Deadline ran down yesterday. But this actually looks to be original take, not simply a refashioning for contemporary audiences, but the question is when this will get made. Reeves already has two other films in the oven and we suppose Summit will be looking at book sales first before moving ahead in earnest. But clearly, they want strong talent behind the picture. So what do you want to see from Reeves? Vampires, Frankenstein or a sci-fi tale? For us, we just hope his dream project "The Invisible Woman" isn't being left behind.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Sounds pretty stupid and really fucking lame.  

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 24, 2011, 05:42:28 PM
will be adapted by Jacob Aaron Estes ("Mean Creek," "The Details")

Has anyone seen The Details, the Jacob Aaron Estes movie?  This no shit is its synopsis:  "When a family of raccoons discover worms living underneath the sod in Jeff and Nealy's backyard, this pest problem begins a darkly comic and wild chain reaction of domestic tension, infidelity and murder."
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

OrHowILearnedTo

^^ haha that's sound ridiculous, but I really liked Mean Creek so his involvement has my interest piqued. Hated Cloverfield, and didn't even bother with Let Me In though. I should probably see it just to see what Reeves can do with conventional storytelling, but I can't seem to get over how much I disliked Cloverfield and how much I loved Let the Right One In.

modage

Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on May 24, 2011, 06:13:36 PM
Has anyone seen The Details, the Jacob Aaron Estes movie?

I saw it at Sundance. It was kinda "A Serious Man"-lite. But not bad. 

I reviewed for The Playlist here: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/sundance_11_review_the_details_is_an_inconsistent_but_entertaining_dark_com/

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

You made me want to watch A Serious Man again.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

modage

It's really good. It's been on HBO recently.

Larry Gopnik: Actions have consequences.
Clive Park: Yes. Often.
Larry Gopnik: No, always! Actions always have consequences!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Loved it in the theater.  Its blu-ray is an unopened Christmas gift.  I think tonight's the night.

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE! Matt Reeves Is Warner Bros' Pick For 'Twilight Zone' Movie
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Let Me In and Cloverfield director Matt Reeves has been chosen by Warner Bros to direct The Twilight Zone, the Jason Rothenberg-scripted thriller based on the classic Rod Serling TV series. Negotiations will get underway early next week, but this is an assignment that was coveted by a number of top directors.

The Twilight Zone is being produced by Appian Way partners Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran, and Michael Ireland. Warner Bros' Matt Cherniss is the exec.  Though the last Twilight Zone film  was an anthology with different directors, this one is a big science fiction action movie with a single freestanding story that is linked to the original series mainly in that it shares that familiarly eerie feel. The hope is to sign to sign Reeves quickly, continue to work on the script and get the picture into production by next summer.

Reeves is aligned with several major projects that will keep him busy for some time. He recently signed on to develop to direct This Dark Endeavor, a revisionist take on the Frankenstein tale based on Kenneth Oppel's novel, with Jacob Aaron Estes writing the script for Summit Entertainment. Reeves is also attached to direct the Justin Cronin vampire novel The Passage for Fox 2000, and he's got a deal at Universal to write and direct a film based on the Ray Nelson short story 8 O'Clock in the Morning, about a man who awakens with the realization that aliens are all over the place and control society. Reeves is repped by CAA and 3 Arts.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks