BATTLE ROYALE

Started by Rudie Obias, January 11, 2003, 04:15:03 PM

MacGuffin

Review from an AICN contact in Japan:

"Battle Royale II" (Toei) directed by Kinji Fukasaku and Kenta Fukasaku:July 5th
This is a great battle movie! So far both audiences (at advance screening)and critics give positive opinion. Actually Kinji Fukasaku directs only one day of shooting but Kenta, a son of Kinji Fukasaku, directs the rest of film and result turns to good. This time another whole class mates (submitted by Takeshi's daughter) are choosen to battle under new rule: kill Shuya who becomes terrosit after the first film within 3 days. Yes, of course, all students have neck choker with new feature. All the students ship to isolated island where Shuya and his company Wild Seven hide. The battle sequence is so similar to "Saving Private Ryan" but camera moves too much which makes us dizzy. After war begins, film goes to end so fast. Takeshi Kitano and Sonny Chiba appears on flash backs. I don't go to more details on this film because, Toei is hard to bring this movie to the US now. This movie could be big hit on Japanese movies in this summer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

Update on the BR Special Edition DVD I ordered:

The transfer is great. Smooth as can be, no bad bootleg quality. All the extra scenes are integrated into the movie. It's got Dolby surround sound on it. Unfortunately the English subtitles are hit and miss. I'd say they miss about 30% of what's said on the screen (especially in the beginning class room scene--half the video wasn't translated). So that makes the DVD purchase iffy. I'm still glad I got it. It's great to watch the extra footage and the action in good quality, but if you're getting it to show someone else or seeing it for the first time don't get the all-region DVD.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

You got the single disc Special Edition, right?

Not the two disc DVD:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

Quote from: MacGuffinYou got the single disc Special Edition, right?

Bingo.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Rudie Obias

where did you get that?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Raikus

Both versions are available on Ebay. Both are non-region. The single disk goes for about $13 + shipping. The 2 disk goes for $20 + shipping.

The more I watch the single disk, the more aggrivating it is with the missing translations. Pay the extra $10 and get the double (at least, I think. I haven't heard how good it is though).

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaikusPay the extra $10 and get the double (at least, I think. I haven't heard how good it is though).

http://einsiders.com/reviews/dvd/battleroyalesedirectorscut.php

Skeleton FilmWorks

Rudie Obias

i have the import from the UKon dvd.  it's region 0 and the translation is pretty good.  the only features on the disc is the theatrical trailer which is a pretty damn good trailer.  i wanna see the director's cut.  what are the features on double disc?  is the quentin tarantino thing on there?  this is the one i have

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/covers/battleroyaletartanntsc.jpg">
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

chainsmoking insomniac

I know I'll probably get clobbered for saying this, but BR sounds like a dumbed-down Lord of the Flies...

It also sounds like the kind of movie Seijun Suzuki (Tokyo Drifter, Branded to Kill) would relish directing.  Correct me if I'm wrong.... :)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Ghoulardi GoonI know I'll probably get clobbered for saying this, but BR sounds like a dumbed-down Lord of the Flies...

have you seen BATTLE ROYALE?

Pubrick

Quote from: rudieobhave you seen BATTLE ROYALE?
obviously he hasn't.
under the paving stones.

pete

*admin-red and whited for spoils

spoiler/ question:

how did those kids in the end disable their necklaces?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin
http://einsiders.com/reviews/dvd/battleroyalesedirectorscut.php

I rented this DVD today and it certainly was an engaging film.  Like the review says, it works largely because of the actors' performances.  Takeshi Kitano should have gotten some more screen time, because he was terrific.  The only extra I watched all the way through was "CG."  I didn't realize how many of the effects were CGI.  Are the extras on Asian DVDs ever subtitled in English?

Bruce Lee

*admin-whited for spoils

Quotehow did those kids in the end disable their necklaces?

the battle royale computer system got hacked and rendered the collars non lethal when removed.

picolas

SHEEZUS. mark your spoilers a little better, people.