James Cagney

Started by cine, September 02, 2003, 02:44:36 AM

cine

This man needs a thread. One of the greatest, purest actors in all of the cinema. My top 5 Cagney performances/pictures.

1. Yankee Doodle Dandy
2. One, Two, Three
3. Angels With Dirty Faces
4. The Public Enemy
5. Mister Roberts
*Honourable mention: The Oklahoma Kid.

All great movies and Cagney always stole the show in any film IMO. A marvelous screen actor.

MacGuffin

You forgot:

"Made it, ma. Top of the world!"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

"What do ya want? A medal?"  :wink:

Oh I didn't forget it but yes if I included one more, that would've been it. I quickly debated which one should get honourable mention... the grapefruit or the 'top of the world' and ultimately chose the former because I can watch that all day.

budgie

'Love Me or Leave Me'. Wonderful rapport as Doris Day's Gimp.

I've seen virtually every Cagney film, and he's never bad.

cine

I actually thought more people would have something to say about Cagney. This surprised me.

NEON MERCURY

I have only seen the public enemy....it was great and i thought he did a good job...Isn't he typecasted as a gangster character though?...i 'm not saying that's bad or anything i am just wondering....

cine

He did a lot of gangster films, yeah, but if you watch films like Yankee Doodle Dandy and Mister Roberts, for example, you'll see he had a range that very few actors, if any, could compete with.

MacGuffin

Or watch "Man Of A Thousand Faces" and watch him play Lon Chaney.

"Mister Roberts" is a must see, not only for Cagney, but for Henry Fonda and Jack Lemmon. It always makes me cry.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Yeah, MP is a very powerful picture. LeRoy could bring out the very best of performances (even though they're naturals anyway).. "Random Harvest" is another good example I can think of for that. Watched it again recently.
Still surprised only 3 people have something to say about him. This is when its a little sad when current actors like.. I dunno, Philip S.H. has so many more people saying something. Cagney deserves better but hey  :(