mystery of the red suit...solved?

Started by sphinx, February 10, 2003, 12:32:35 AM

sphinx

i made some caps from pdl to show....watch for some of these on C&C in the future.

shown here, the person in red appears to be a man with a white beard with black pants just peeking from behind the aisle to the right of barry.

and finally, as a bonus, the 'love' hand.

the thing i find odd about the 99 cents store scene is that in the closer shot of the man in red, you can see him wearing black pants, but in the wide, it looks like it's lena because you can see her legs.  listen really carefully the next time you see the movie to hear a.) the squeak of the old man's shopping cart, and b.) the squeak of barry's left shoe

cheers

Pedro

Pretty fresh material, sphinx....
How'd you get those?

sphinx

Quote from: Pedro the WombatPretty fresh material, sphinx....
How'd you get those?

dvdscreenrenrAHAHAHAyes.

:D

picolas

damn. whether it was Lena or not was one of those things i was hoping would never get answered. ah well...

Marty McSuperfly

I spotted this too, but ruled out the person in the background being the old guy due the fact that he has a shopping trolley and the other person has a basket

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

yeah. i have already burned this to DVD.. its a very nice rip
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

sphinx

Quote from: 82yeah. i have already burned this to DVD.. its a very nice rip

there's a dvd rip on the internet?  for shame!

Duck Sauce

sphinx

Quote from: Duck SauceIts Lena

get out of my thread

Jon

Huh. That's a beautiful thing, what Paul has done.

Newtron

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: Duck SauceIts Lena
get out of my thread

sphinx

more details uncovered

both dean and barry have their first dollars displayed in their office somewhere

pointed out on the old boards, dean has a harmonium that is stashed away in the corner

MacGuffin

From the Los Angeles Times comes this article about about filmmakers manipulating colors in their films to help tell their stories (a la "O Brother..." etc.). A brief passage about PDL:

Cinematographers are well aware that color alone won't sell movies. Their primary role is to help the director tell a story. While script and story remain the most powerful elements in a film, sound and color provide the major supports, says author Block. "Color brings it home," he says. "It's there to support the story. When it does that, it can knock the ball out of the park."

In "Punch-Drunk Love," director Paul Thomas Anderson borrowed the startling blue suit (worn by Adam Sandler) and a monochromatic background from French filmmaker Jean-Luc Godard's movie "A Woman Is a Woman." Sandler and Emily Watson stand out in their blue and red outfits, respectively, against the San Fernando Valley, depicted in grays and whites. The narrative was interrupted three times for digital displays of colorful stripes, created by artist Jeremy Blake.

The abstract patterns are meant to track Sandler's state of mind as social misfit Barry Egan, says film editor Leslie Jones. "It starts out with his discovery of something new in his life that will change his life. The second one reflects the challenge he's got to face to protect that love. The third is a triumph of keeping what he's found." If there is a meaning to Sandler's royal blue coat, she said she doesn't know it. "It doesn't always go that deep. It was funny. He wore it throughout the whole movie."

Rest of the article here. Click on pic:

In "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," Frodo (Elijah Wood) travels across the Dead Marshes on his way to Mordor. Colors in the original 35-millimeter film, left, were manipulated on a computer, then returned to film in order to suggest Middle-earth otherworldliness, right.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSUVWXYZ

Quote from: sphinx

check it out, it's NOT miked