kill bill: the whole bloody affair

Started by Alethia, June 05, 2004, 12:03:13 AM

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino Would Do 'Kill Bill, Vol 1' In 3-D If He Could Do It All Over Again
Source: MTV

At Sunday's 82nd Annual Academy Awards show, one thing on a lot of people's minds was 3-D. The David v. Goliath showdown in the Best Picture category -- Kathryn Bigelow's tense, Iraq War-set soldiers story up against James Cameron's 'game-changing' 3-D sci-fi blockbuster "Avatar" -- was in many ways a contest of new technology versus tried-and-true methods of filmmaking. "Locker" emerged victorious, but 3-D is nonetheless on the rise, with multiple studios prepping or converting their upcoming features into 2-D/3-D releases.

MTV's Josh Horowitz was on the red carpet before that race was decided, and he put the question to "Inglourious Basterds" filmmaker Quentin Tarantino: would he be interested in doing a "ginormous" 3-D blockbuster, a la "Avatar"?

The director replied that he wouldn't do "a ginormous 3-D movie," but he's a fan of the format. "Actually, one of my favorite movies [of 2009] was 'My Bloody Valentine 3-D,'" he said. "That was a great 3-D movie."

Tarantino turned serious when Josh asked about the possibility of us seeing a "Kill Bill 3-D." As you may know, there have been rumblings for awhile that he's considering a return to the world of Beatrix Kiddo and the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad.

He didn't take the bait and spill any of his thoughts about the next "Kill Bill" -- which would obviously need a different title since (spoiler alert?) Bill is dead -- but he did admit that he would have taken a different approach with the first movie.

"If I had to do 'Kill Bill' all over again I probably would do volume one in 3-D," he replied. What, no love for volume two? It certainly gets me wondering, what "Kill Bill" might have looked like in 3-D. One thing that Cameron's "Avatar" made clear is that the tech doesn't necessarily have to be used as a gimmick, to give the audience the impression that things are flying off the screen at them. Some of the finest moments on Pandora were simple landscape shot, in which 3-D functioned to add greater depth to what you were seeing.

Then again, The Bride's showdown with the Crazy 88 -- particularly her duel with Gogo Yubari and that chained weapon of hers -- would probably look pretty sweet in 3-D.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Personally, I think it would look pretty sweet watching Samuel L Jackson taking a huge bit of a Big Kahuna burger in 3D.

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino's 'Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair' To Finally Premiere In March
Source: The Playlist

We'll be honest, we never thought this day would come. But after years and years of promises and fan anticipation, Quentin Tarantino is ready to unveil "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair" on audiences next month. Yeah, we can hardly believe it either. AICN were perusing the schedule for the New Beverly in March, as it's being programmed by the director, and lo and behold for one week, "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair" has been scheduled. We're presuming line ups for tickets begin now. In the brief description, it's said the film shown will be "the unrated combined version which has never been seen theatrically in the U.S." Details on what will actually be in this version are yet to be seen, but Tarantino has chattered about it a lot in the past few years, so we have a pretty good idea. Back in the summer of 2009, Tarantino talked pretty extensively about what would be appearing in 'The Whole Bloody Affair' and it seems it will be the same movies we know, padded out with a lengthy animated sequence. "I'm not going to monkey around with the movie itself, but we've actually done a whole new section for the anime as the last thing [we added]. I actually wrote a much longer script for the anime section during O-Ren's revenge chapter. Remember the guy with the long hair that kills her father? It's like, what happened to that dude? Well, I wrote it and it was the biggest, most elaborate thing I wrote—her taking him down," Tarantino said. "This was when I thought 'Kill Bill' was going to be one movie. So already I thought a 20-minute anime scene [evolved from a seven minute sequence?] may not be the wisest move. So we didn't have them do it, so they were relieved they didn't have to do it because it was so big. [But] I actually showed it to Harvey Weinstein; I had the whole script written out shot for shot what it would be, so [I said], 'Harvey, this literally would make it complete. This is everything I came up with and wrote when I wrote it.' So Production IG just did it, and I just need to work with them a little bit and go over it with them—and I'll do that once this is officially behind me." And who are Production IG? They are an influential Japanese anime studio and production company behind some of the biggest titles such as "Ghost In The Shell." All that said, Tarantino likes to tinker and we wouldn't be surprised if some extras scenes or sequences wound up in there as well. Needless to say, it's tremendously exciting news and undoubtedly a DVD/BluRay release is likely around the corner. No word yet if the screenings will expand beyond the New Beverly, but this is one lots of people are going to want to see on the big screen. "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair" will start screening on March 27th. And could this be the AICN secret screening at SXSW? We think so. Better start lining up, folks.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 14, 2011, 08:18:42 PM
And could this be the AICN secret screening at SXSW? We think so. Better start lining up, folks.

Was it?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

cinemanarchist

Nope. It was Dragonslayer from the 80's. Nerds.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Stefen

^lol. If the AICN secret screening room caught fire and all the fanboys inside perished, I think it might actually make cinema better. I mean, it wouldn't happen right away, but with less fanboys, it would only be a couple years before we started seeing less fanboy movies, which are the second worst movies there are after soulless rom-coms.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

I would also not mourn the loss of the lame movie bloggers in that theatre, all stealing each others shitty "news" stories and getting to go to film festivals that I should be at and then all writing the exect same review of Super. Bitter...sure....right...most definitely.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Stefen on March 25, 2011, 03:56:51 PM
^lol. If the AICN secret screening room caught fire and all the fanboys inside perished, I think it might actually make cinema better. I mean, it wouldn't happen right away, but with less fanboys, it would only be a couple years before we started seeing less fanboy movies, which are the second worst movies there are after soulless rom-coms.

I would have died in that fire, along with a bunch of people who left and later lied and said they didn't.

This doesn't belong in this thread, but I had never seen the movie and was interested enough so I watched it all the way through.
It was pretty funny to hear Harry tell a bunch of eager jerks (half of whom still thought it would be a new movie even though he had already announced it was old) that if they didn't LOVE this movie they aren't true film lovers.  HAH!  What an asshole!  Then he brings out Guillermo Del Toro and they tell everyone the five parts they like the most in the movie and all these desperate-to-please fuckers in the audience proceed to applaud every single time something Harry or Guillermo mentioned happens in the movie like they would have even given a shit if there were no intro.

Lights up, at LEAST half the theater is gone.  I was behind Doug Benson and I know he left pretty quick and that guy LOVES movies.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

To bring it back to topic

This was done for the premier screening and supposedly as a surprise for QT's birthday.

modage

Love Tyler Stout. Hate Mondo News.

I want. I will probably not get.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on March 28, 2011, 04:47:12 PM
Love Tyler Stout. Hate Mondo News.

I want. I will probably not get.

Why do you hate Mondo?  They give me pretty posters! (and soon, secret screenings!)

modage

The limited edition print culture has gotten so out of control its nearly impossible to get anything from them now (online. In person, in Austin, it's prob the greatest). So basically anytime there's a sale they can't even announce the TIME because it will crash their site. So they have to randomly post it on twitter and within seconds their site will not even load because it can't handle the traffic. It's just an insanely frustrating experience every single time. (I lost a night of sleep over the Stout "Star Wars" prints.) It's just a terrible way to treat their fans.

They need new servers. They need to up the number of prints they make to prevent the secondary market from driving up the value too much. Or they need to stop selling them online.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on March 28, 2011, 05:26:08 PM
The limited edition print culture has gotten so out of control its nearly impossible to get anything from them now (online. In person, in Austin, it's prob the greatest). So basically anytime there's a sale they can't even announce the TIME because it will crash their site. So they have to randomly post it on twitter and within seconds their site will not even load because it can't handle the traffic. It's just an insanely frustrating experience every single time. (I lost a night of sleep over the Stout "Star Wars" prints.) It's just a terrible way to treat their fans.

They need new servers. They need to up the number of prints they make to prevent the secondary market from driving up the value too much. Or they need to stop selling them online.

Upping servers, I understand (though the few times I've been able to get posters from them, the servers didn't freeze at all), but the artists pretty-much demand the limited quantity (and that's what makes them so desirable after-all, right?) and selling them online is usually only done after they didn't sell out at a big event... if they didn't sell them online then you'd have NO chance at all.

Pas

Aaah my God these are wonderful posters they got!! Thanks so much for ruining me guys.

Edit: Then again i'd be too poor to keep them I guess, they sell for so much on ebay...